Toledo, Canada??

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Just started watching a taped ARCA race held at Toledo Speedway. Now, I admit it's been a few months since I was up there but last time Toledo was completely part of the USA. That has me wondering why they had a kid sing the Canadian National Anthem prior to running the race. :confused::confused:

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Probably because Peterborough in Ontario is part of the ARCA circuit and they have Canadian drivers in the race.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
Trutle is right, there are more then a few Canadian drivers that tour with ARCA, and that Toledo race was a points race so i am sure they all there....

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I guess that's it. I don't usually watch ARCA series races so I didn't know.

witness23

Veteran Expediter
Wouldn't this question have been more appropriate for the Sports Page forum?

Unless of course you think there is some kind of political bend to the fact a kid sang O Canada in Toledo? If that's the case I would love to hear the rational behind that thought process.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Wouldn't this question have been more appropriate for the Sports Page forum?
I don't think so. It's a question about national anthems, not racing.

Unless of course you think there is some kind of political bend to the fact a kid sang O Canada in Toledo? If that's the case I would love to hear the rational behind that thought process.
Well, of course there's a political bent when a national anthem is sung, especially when it's the anthem of another country. That seems self-evident (A.K.A. well, duh!) considering that national anthems are, you know, political. In the US of A, you don't often hear the national anthem of another country, so when you do it kinds of stands out. Unless you know why, you might be tempted to ask, you know, why.

I'd love to hear the rationale behind the thought process of thinking a foreign national anthem being played in the USA is not some kind of a political bent.

Go

witness23

Veteran Expediter

Your response above would've sufficed and actually been a professional, courteous way of addressing my post especially coming from someone with a moderator status. But noooooo.......we gotta take it one step further don't we Turtle. This is the kind of stuff others are talking about when it comes to a select few moderators and how they present themselves in the forums.

Well, of course there's a political bent when a national anthem is sung, especially when it's the anthem of another country.

Not unless you or LDB find it unusual for a foreign national anthem to be played during a sporting event. Its not uncommon at all as it happense all the time in baseball, hockey, basketball, racing and of course the Olympics.

Now, if they had only played O Canada in Toledo and omitted the Star Spangled Banner all together or if they played the Star Spangled Banner then played O Canada, that would be a question worth posting. The only political bend I can see is if the original poster thought there was some kind of conspiracy behind playing O Canada. Considering the type of content LDB posts in the soapbox, that would be the natural conclusion one would come to. So let's hear it, what's the conspiracy. If its just a general question about O Canada being played at a sporting event in Toledo, I believe it should be in the Sports Page where you would probably find your answer to your question. I just found it odd for it to be posted here is all.

That seems self-evident (A.K.A. well, duh!) considering that national anthems are, you know, political. In the US of A, you don't often hear the national anthem of another country, so when you do it kinds of stands out. Unless you know why, you might be tempted to ask, you know, why.

I submit to you turtle your, "duh!" comment should've been directed towards LDB and not myself.

I'm not sure I would describe national anthems as "political", you could make it political, but the playing of other anthems are simply a sign of respect to visiting countries. It is done all the time during sporting events where there are other countries being represented. I guess its common sense to me if another countries national anthem is played at a sporting event they are showing respect to the visitor's that are participating in that particular event. If I heard O Canada being played before the race I would be like, "Oh, there must be some drivers representing Canada in the race".

I'd love to hear the rationale behind the thought process of thinking a foreign national anthem being played in the USA is not some kind of a political bent.

Like I've already explained and what I thought was common sense(evidently I was mistaken) foreign national anthems are played all the time during sporting events where other countries are participating. I've never thought of it as being "political" but merely a sign of respect and protocol. Pretty simple actually.

Now if you think it was some kind of conspiracy or a show of disrespect, then by all means post away in the soapbox. We can all use a good laugh.

usafk9

Veteran Expediter

In the US of A, you don't often hear the national anthem of another country, so when you do it kinds of stands out."

Actually, the Canadian anthem is sung at every Buffalo Sabres and Rochester Americans hockey game (home games).

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Your response above would've sufficed and actually been a professional, courteous way of addressing my post especially coming from someone with a moderator status.
My response wasn't as a mod, and my mod status has nothing to do with it? Why bring it up?

But noooooo.......we gotta take it one step further don't we Turtle. This is the kind of stuff others are talking about when it comes to a select few moderators and how they present themselves in the forums.
I didn't take it one step further, I responded directly to what you wrote. You're the one who took it one step further than the subject of the thread. If you had asked the simple question and left it at that, but noooooo, you had to take it one step further and be confrontational by introducing a controversy where none existed, by trying to make it about what Leo really thought was going on.

Not unless you or LDB find it unusual for a foreign national anthem to be played during a sporting event. Its not uncommon at all as it happense all the time in baseball, hockey, basketball, racing and of course the Olympics.
It's actually very unusual, unless there is a foreign team playing in the event. When I read Leo's question my first thought was there were probably Canadians in the race. Why Leo didn't think of it, I really don't know, but it's probably because you don't hear another country's national anthem played at very many automobile races, and the fact that ARCA (Automobile Racing Club of America) name doesn't immediately imply international participation. Did you not read, and comprehend, my initial reply in this thread? It's so simple even a dispatcher can understand it.

Now, if they had only played O Canada in Toledo and omitted the Star Spangled Banner all together or if they played the Star Spangled Banner then played O Canada, that would be a question worth posting. The only political bend I can see is if the original poster thought there was some kind of conspiracy behind playing O Canada. Considering the type of content LDB posts in the soapbox, that would be the natural conclusion one would come to.
It would be a natural conclusion only if one were to place more emphasis on the poster rather than on what they posted. The only reason to do that is to be confrontational, to make it about the poster rather than the issue about which they posted about. There's no other reason to do that.

So let's hear it, what's the conspiracy.
There isn't one. He gave no indication whatsoever of some conspiracy. He noted that Toledo is in the USA, and the Canadian anthem was sung, and wondered aloud why that might be. No conspiracy required.

If its just a general question about O Canada being played at a sporting event in Toledo, I believe it should be in the Sports Page where you would probably find your answer to your question. I just found it odd for it to be posted here is all.
So noted with your initial question. I'm sorry if you didn't like the answer you got. Since it's sports related, in really wouldn't be inappropriate, per se, in the Sports Page forum, but because the race itself was merely the setting and not the subject of his post, the Soapbox is the more appropriate forum for the thread.

I submit to you turtle your, "duh!" comment should've been directed towards LDB and not myself.
Actually, my initial response to Leo was, in fact, a big fat blatant "duh". But keeping in mind that he might not be a big sports fan of sports where the Canadian national anthem is played here in the US, I conceded that hearing it played at an automobile race might be very unusual for him and he might not make the connection to Canadian race car drivers being in the race, which is why I answered the way I did.

I'm not sure I would describe national anthems as "political", you could make it political, but the playing of other anthems are simply a sign of respect to visiting countries.
It is also a sign of respect, but the fact that different countries exist at all is politics. It's why county, state, national and international borders are called "political boundaries", because all are political units.

It is done all the time during sporting events where there are other countries being represented. I guess its common sense to me if another countries national anthem is played at a sporting event they are showing respect to the visitor's that are participating in that particular event. If I heard O Canada being played before the race I would be like, "Oh, there must be some drivers representing Canada in the race".
That would have been an excellent response to Leo's question.

Now if you think it was some kind of conspiracy or a show of disrespect, then by all means post away in the soapbox. We can all use a good laugh.
Sorry to disappoint, but I don't think it was some kind of conspiracy or a show of disrespect at all. I would have thought my initial response in this thread would have made that clear enough.

Last edited:

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

Go

Hey, hey, hold on there bud! Wait your turn! I'm ahead of you! I asked Witness back in March to post examples to back up his statement:

You know what's truly funny here? That a handful of members are allowed to post bigoted, defamatory, obscene, hateful, racially or ethnically offensive comments and it is accepted behavior by the owners, admin, mods and those that are willing not to speak up about it.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Just started watching a taped ARCA race held at Toledo Speedway. Now, I admit it's been a few months since I was up there but last time Toledo was completely part of the USA. That has me wondering why they had a kid sing the Canadian National Anthem prior to running the race. :confused::confused:

Leo, you should know by now, never bring up race or hoofed animals when posting in the Soapbox.

witness23

Veteran Expediter
My response wasn't as a mod, and my mod status has nothing to do with it?

How 'bout this, give up your mod status and go back to participating in the forums as a regular "joe", or keep your mod status and only participate when your job as a moderator is required. Because honestly, your condenscending attitude when you were a regular commentor was at least bearable, but as a mod it just plain reaks of someone on a power trip who thinks they are untouchable. Ever since your mod status has been bestowed upon you your dickishness has been elevated to a whole 'nother level all together.

Why bring it up?

Here is my line of thought on the role of a mod and how a mod should conduct themselves. Moderators(in my opinion)should be virtually invisible and surface only when situations arise that do not seem likely to resolve themselves. Which describes the majority of the mods here in EO land except for a few. Again, that's just my opinion.

I bring it up because I don't think you should be involved in the general discussion on the forums unless you are performing your job as moderator.

I didn't take it one step further, I responded directly to what you wrote. You're the one who took it one step further than the subject of the thread. If you had asked the simple question and left it at that, but noooooo, you had to take it one step further and be confrontational by introducing a controversy where none existed, by trying to make it about what Leo really thought was going on.

I really do not think you could twist yourself into more of a pretzel than you just did above. :rolleyes:

It's actually very unusual, unless there is a foreign team playing in the event.

Really? <sarcasm>

Its the only time (a.k.a. duh!).

When I read Leo's question my first thought was there were probably Canadians in the race.

As would any casual sports fan. Hence the reason for my question in the first place. Any casual sports fan would've asked themselves that very question in the logical place, theSports Forum . Unless, they thought there was something sinister about it, in which they would then ask the question in the soapbox where politics and conspiracy theories are the soup du jour.

Why Leo didn't think of it, I really don't know,

Yeah, me neither. That's why my question was directed at him, not you. So instead of you speaking for him and trying to interpret what Leo really thought was going on. Here's a novel idea, maybe you should let him comment on the question I asked about it being of political nature or not.

but it's probably because you don't hear another country's national anthem played at very many automobile races, and the fact that ARCA (Automobile Racing Club of America) name doesn't immediately imply international participation.

But if you did hear another countries anthem being played at a sports venue most people wouldn't think of it as being political and merely a question that would be more appropriate in the Sports themed forum in my opinion. You see, he made it political by posting it in a political forum. If it wasn't political in nature, then the obvious spot for it is in the Sports forum.

Did you not read, and comprehend, my initial reply in this thread? It's so simple even a dispatcher can understand it.

Did you not understand the nature of my question, the fact he was asking about a sporting event and it was posted in a political forum? It's so simple even a o.t.r. driver can understand it.

It would be a natural conclusion only if one were to place more emphasis on the poster rather than on what they posted. The only reason to do that is to be confrontational, to make it about the poster rather than the issue about which they posted about. There's no other reason to do that.

It was a simple question. Why would you ask an obvious sports related question in a political forum?

There isn't one. He gave no indication whatsoever of some conspiracy. He noted that Toledo is in the USA, and the Canadian anthem was sung, and wondered aloud why that might be. No conspiracy required.

By placing it in a political forum it opened up the idea that he thought is was something more than what it was. It's rather simple really, especially taken into consideration the nature of LDB's posts.

So noted with your initial question. I'm sorry if you didn't like the answer you got.

I didn't get an answer from LDB, but I did get a long dissertation from our resident "buttinski".

Since it's sports related, in really wouldn't be inappropriate, per se, in the Sports Page forum, but because the race itself was merely the setting and not the subject of his post, the Soapbox is the more appropriate forum for the thread.

If that is the thought process from LDB. We don't know that now do we? Because he hasn't commented on the reason why he put it in here.

Actually, my initial response to Leo was, in fact, a big fat blatant "duh". But keeping in mind that he might not be a big sports fan of sports where the Canadian national anthem is played here in the US, I conceded that hearing it played at an automobile race might be very unusual for him and he might not make the connection to Canadian race car drivers being in the race, which is why I answered the way I did.

I agree with you. Duh!!

It is also a sign of respect, but the fact that different countries exist at all is politics. It's why county, state, national and international borders are called "political boundaries", because all are political units.

At this point your message reads and sounds like this, "blah, blah blah blah,blah blah-dittidy-da, blah blah

That would have been an excellent response to Leo's question.

If it were posted in the Sports forum yes, now you got it. Guess what? Everyone know's I don't step foot in the other forums, so if it would've been posted or move to its proper place, we wouldn't even be having this conversation

Sorry to disappoint, but I don't think it was some kind of conspiracy or a show of disrespect at all. I would have thought my initial response in this thread would have made that clear enough.

Seriously dude, its not all about you. Oh you didn't disapoint, you acted accordingly to your typical self. Again, my remarks were aimed at LDB, not you.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
All this waste of virtual ink just to deny you were baiting Leo. Quit being such a horse's mexican.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Yeah, kinda difficult to follow. I even pulled in a quote from a completely different thread.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I've watched more Sprint Cup, Indycar, NHRA, NFL, MLB etc. than I can remember. They sing the National Anthem, our National Anthem. I've watched a lot of Olympics, Tour de France etc. as well. They play the National Anthem of the nation of the winner. I don't watch hockey or soccer or rugby or other more international sports. To the best of my recollection this is the first time I've heard multiple anthems prior to the start of an event. So I asked a question. So sue me.

Last edited: