Today's New Truck Drivers and Their Training

Status
Not open for further replies.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
As happens routinely to many expediters, Diane and I were parked in a lot and a man approached to ask about the truck and the work we do. It turned out that he is going to Swift CDL school soon.

He asked the usual questions and then offered that his committment to the company for training was two years of service or $6,000 that he was obligated to pay if he does not complete the two years. That was news to me. I knew that one year was common among large carriers. Is two now the norm or is that just a Swift thing?

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
It can vary from one company to another. I think they were handing out 18 month/$5,000 contracts at the school I went to (USA Truck and someone else, cant remember). Half the people in the class didn't even know who they would be driving for when they showed up. A week later, after talking with other classmates, they were all wanting to change their selection. Too late, they had already signed up and the school was more than happy to explain that to them.

I started driving with Maverick (flatbeds). I paid my own way through the exact same class as all the rest for $1400 total fees at the school. I paid for my own living arrangements at a local motel (very much nothing special, but it was well kept and quite..no druggies), less than $1k. I had less than $2500 tied up. I will say that back then, Maverick had a 6 month/$2500 contract which is the best I've ever heard of. But, the waiting list was like 6 months for them (they only took 6 per week). By paying my own way, they had a spot waiting for me the day I got out of class... and I got something extra in pay for 6 months... a penny per mile or something, I don't remember now.

It's like everything else, research will reap rewards. No research will get you taken advantage of.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
ATeam;473738 He asked the usual questions and then offered that his committment to the company for training was two years of service or $6 said:
That was news to me.[/U]

Phil, it's called indentured servitude and was very popular during this country's colonial period. Indentured servitude is similar to slavery except it's spelled different.

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
There was a good $2500 going somewhere at the school I went to. I always guessed that the school and the trucking companies were splitting the extra revenue. I also guessed that the extra profit for both parties is why some companies are so hard on new drivers. They WANT them to quit, so they can run another recruit through the school and profit another $1250 each. Maybe not, but it sure had a foul odor to me.

This was at a state sponsored school on a community college campus too.

leezaback

Seasoned Expediter
Owner/Operator
Go to a community college-alot cheeper and sometimes one can apply for a grant. SWIFT--sure wish I finished training:D
What a racket !!

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
Standard was 1 year or $5000 at most big carriers. And swift is the most crooked of them tho!

Big carriers that have a CDL school is nothing but a cash cow for legal stealing. With a 100pct turn over in trucking, u do the math. 500 trainees a year times 6000 dollars a student and wow, what an income for ur company. CASH COW, CASH COW,CASH COW. of course all IMHO> of course.:eek:

BillChaffey

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Navy
There's more then one company that advertises on Craig's List in Springfield, MO. Which require two years. North Arkansas Community College offers a course eight weeks I think. 8 AM to 3 PM Monday through Friday. $2,500.00

Springfield and surrounding areas have some Schools. Most start at $5000.00

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
SWIFT - "Swing Wide It's a Friggin' Trailer!"
SWIFT backwards - "Two :censoredsign:s In a White Semi".

And they say the CB isn't educational. <snort>

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Still a cheap price to pay considering you are investing in a career.....ya shoulda stayed in school....and spent a lot more and still not be guaranteed squat...or end up still driving a cargo van...

Camper

Not a Member
This type of deal is nothing new and is certainly not out of the ordinary. For someone with no prior CDL experience, Swift's program isn't a bad deal at all. It's a good way to get your foot in the door.

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
Go to a community college-alot cheeper and sometimes one can apply for a grant. SWIFT--sure wish I finished training:D
What a racket !!

Before you go to a community college make sure that the company you are considering is an accredited school as many are not. Not saying they are good or bad programs but you might not be able to go with the company you want. We lived right by a community college that had an semester program and it was not an accredited school. If we had wanted to stay local and drive for small carriers some would have accepted the community college. We found Central Tech to be one of the cheaper schools with one of the best reputations.

Bob went to Central Tech Truck Driving School and was then able to pick and choose what company he wanted to drive for. The last week of school recruiters from all of the big companies attended the school and had a sales pitch.

Keep the ball in your corner by paying for the school yourself and not becoming an indentured servant.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Keep the ball in your corner by paying for the school yourself and not becoming an indentured servant.
Excellent advice! Substitute the word truck for the word school and this same advice can be applied when considering a truck purchase from a carrier.

paullud

Veteran Expediter
This type of deal is nothing new and is certainly not out of the ordinary. For someone with no prior CDL experience, Swift's program isn't a bad deal at all. It's a good way to get your foot in the door.

Except for the fact they are one of the worst carriers and if you think back Swift was the same company that had some serious issues with their "school".

AMonger

Veteran Expediter
Phil, it's called indentured servitude and was very popular during this country's colonial period. Indentured servitude is similar to slavery except it's spelled different.
Well, that, and that indentured servitude is entered into willingly and knowingly, with a fixed term, and each side benefits. Indentured servitude isn't evil; chattel slavery is.

AMonger

Veteran Expediter
The cost of these programs has gotten outrageous. When I went through a company school, it was $2000 with a 1-year obligation. Now done are charging close to triple that? Crazy.

leezaback

Seasoned Expediter
Owner/Operator
Paul-you are right ! Talked to a swift driver-finished his course was put with a trainer, when the trainer was through, the driver still had issues-needed more time--so thay put this driver with another trainee ! now too trainees in a truck ! no trainer-that's scary:eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.