To those who change shower heads

guido4475

Not a Member
Who is so selfish to change a shower head?

I see a few hotels who have pinned the head onto the pipe and you take the pipe out when you do this. Maybe TS should also do that.

If I run into that kind of situation, I will go out to the van and get my cordless drill and remedy that...lol.

guido4475

Not a Member
I guess I'm still wondering about why? Cleanliness? Spray pattern?

I'm not trying to find fault with anyone's reasons or be judgemental. Just curious. It would seem if the reason was cleanliness then a new sink faucet and toilet seat would be essential also. And what would be on the shower head? I'm 6'4" and I know I ain't got the pressure to pee that high. Or do some purposely contaminate the heads? Once again, just curiosity. Not trying to be a bother. I'm considering getting into expediting and need all the info I can get.

It is all about the water pressure that the shower heads allow to go through the shower.Many have a piece of plastic in them, restricting the water flow,these are called water-saver shower heads, and then, because of this, a shower can take twice as long.

guido4475

Not a Member
I think it has nothing to do with your dissatisfaction but the fact that the removal and replacement of the shower head can damage the pipe coming out of the wall by screwing up the threads, thus making it worst for others who use it later - hence the word selfish.

If you live at the truck stop and use the same shower every day, then you may have a legitimate case to replacing it but otherwise it is something that you should live with for the price you pay for the shower.

I dont think that my plastic shower head is going to mess up a metal pipe thread, unless you have a theroy on that..lol.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
Guido wrote:

If I run into that kind of situation, I will go out to the van and get my cordless drill and remedy that...lol.

Hey, make sure you put your pants and shirt back on when you go BACK out to get the drill..also keep them on while you drill the pin out, those "metal burrs" get hot!!! :D

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Can't believe you'd admit to maliciously damaging someones elses place of business just because of your butt crack problems....they Give you a shower out of courtesy and this is how you behave?...No wonder the price has increased so much with this attitude....thought you guys hate entitlement thinking..???

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
OVM wrote:

they Give you a shower out of courtesy

GIVE!?!? If i take a shower at a "J", Pilot or Love's it cost me from $8.50 to $10.00....there is no give or courtesy or "entitlement there...it is a business transaction....:rolleyes:

LOL, by the way, put the "stirring" paddle away....:D

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
OVM wrote:

GIVE!?!? If i take a shower at a "J", Pilot or Love's it cost me from $8.50 to $10.00....there is no give or courtesy or "entitlement there...it is a business transaction....:rolleyes:

LOL, by the way, put the "stirring" paddle away....:D

so you buy a shower full well knowing what you purchased and then do your own upgrade?;)

shower terrorists....:)

Last edited:

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
Yeap, i know they provide an inferior product, so while I know that going in, I plan on making my own "limited" improvement for the time I use the facilities....:D

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
so you buy a shower full well knowing what you purchased and then do your own upgrade?
An unauthorized upgrade, at that. Showers are offered "as is" and are not subject to alteration. The price paid for a shower does not entitle you to change the parameters of the agreed upon terms of the service. If you change out the shower head because you don't like the industrial-strength flow restrictor so as to get high water pressure and more water, you are stealing both water pressure and water. You are using more water than you paid for.

You go to McDonalds and order a Big Mac. But because you don't like the way the Big Mac cooked, constructed or served, you think you should be able to go back there and cook it yourself, using ingredients you didn't pay for, including larger meat patties, and do so at no additional expense to yourself.

Whether you pay for the shower or are given one in exchange for loyalty spending is irrelevant, as they are both the same thing. You are not entitled to something you did not pay for. As a side note, anyone who pays for a shower at a Pilot/Flying J because they fail or refuse to use a loyalty card and then complain about the shower head, really hasn't thought it through very well, since for the same price you can buy a shower at a TA and get a non-flow restricting shower head.

On another side note, the idiot who chose the flow restricting shower heads at the J's should be required to take at least one shower a day at the J so they can see what it's like to take a shower without getting your feet wet.

In any case, as a Golden Rule kinda guy, I'm purdy shure I wouldn't want to give someone a shower at my house and then have them change out the shower head at their leisure. It's rude, inconsiderate, and a grotesque display of left-wing entitlement selfishness.

guido4475

Not a Member
Can't believe you'd admit to maliciously damaging someones elses place of business just because of your butt crack problems....they Give you a shower out of courtesy and this is how you behave?...No wonder the price has increased so much with this attitude....thought you guys hate entitlement thinking..???

No, I would never go that far with it.I just thought I would throw that in there,to add to the fieceness of the conversation...There is only so far I will go as to modifying the shower to my liking.Changing the shower head is no big deal,and I dont see it as "Stealing" water form the truckstop.Look at it this way-The water-saver shower heads put out a little amount of water within a certain amount of time, so youre shower eventually can take twice as long to take.But, when you use a full-flow shower head, it can take half as long, using the same amount of water as the twice as long shower.Same amount of water, but the time taken has changed.No big deal.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
No, I would never go that far with it.I just thought I would throw that in there,to add to the fieceness of the conversation...There is only so far I will go as to modifying the shower to my liking.Changing the shower head is no big deal,and I dont see it as "Stealing" water form the truckstop.Look at it this way-The water-saver shower heads put out a little amount of water within a certain amount of time, so youre shower eventually can take twice as long to take.But, when you use a full-flow shower head, it can take half as long, using the same amount of water as the twice as long shower.Same amount of water, but the time taken has changed.No big deal.

You guys are part of the problem then....when you put on that head you effective drop the water pressure to everyone else on that water line from the boiler...

and I'll betcha that TA in some counties and cities are breaking the law where flow restrictors are required by law in public places...

Last edited:

guido4475

Not a Member
You guys are part of the problem then....when you put on that head you effective drop the water pressure to everyone else on that water line from the boiler...

and I'll betcha that TA in some counties and cities are breaking the law where flow restrictors are required by law in public places...

If it was never mentioned about some changing shower heads to non-flow restricting ones-would you have noticed the drop in water pressure otherwise? Very rarely have I ever ran out of hot water, changed shower head or not.

Never heard of laws governing amount of water used in a facility, but there is a first time for everything, also.

This whole thing kinda reminds me of Jeff Foxworthy writing in his book of when he was a hotel maintenance man.

A customer would call to the front desk complaining that the A/C wasnt blowing cold enough.So he would go up there,with his tool bag, and go into the room and feel the air coming out of the vents, and agree that it is indeed not cold enough.So he would go over to the thermostat on the wall, and pop the cover off, and say, "Oh yea, here's the problem" and grab a screwdriver and appear to be making some adjustments, when he wasnt doing anything at all.Then he'd put the cover back on, and walk over to the unit,and put his hand over the vent, and say, see, there it is, blowing nice and cold!! and he'd have the customer come over, and feel the air, and they would agree that it is indeed, colder, and thank him, when he actually didnt do a darn thing, but B.S.them the whole time.

Funny how people can be sometimes..lol

guido4475

Not a Member
I know it may seem like I am contradicting myself here, with me posting about the van parking and all, but I am a carefull shower head changer,hand-screwing the head on,then tightening it gently.There is a correct way to do this, I guess.lol.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Actually, in a lot of places out west where water shortages can be a real problem, there are local laws requiring flow restrictors on shower heads. But more than that, federal regulations since 1992 mandate that new showerhead flow rates can't exceed more than 2.5 gallons per minute (gpm) at a water pressure of 80 pounds per square inch (psi). Prior to 1992 the standard was 5.5 gpm.

In many places, including but not limited to the West, it's against the law to retrofit a 2.5 gpm shower head with a less restricting one. Shelby Country, TN (Memphis) is that way with motels and hotels, not because of water consumption, but because of sewer usage. Memphis certainly has plenty of water, but it's the sewers and water treatment plant that causes the need for water conservation. You may think you're taking twice as long in the shower, and therefor are using the same amount of water as a free-flowing shower head gives you, but measured actual water consumption says otherwise.

Many places, truckstops and home owners alike, will use ultra low-flow shower heads that reduce the gpm to well under 2.5 gallons, though. Bathroom sink faucets are supposed to be between .5 and 1.5 gpm (kitchens are 2.2 gpm). I swear the head at Flying J must be near the 0.5 level.

Van drivers who park in the front can justify their rudeness and selfishness in all manner of ways. Same with people who steal water out of a shower who can justify it in all manner of ways, up to and including the redefining of stealing with, "I don't see it as stealing". That's like saying, "Whenever I buy a Snickers bar I always sneak a second one into my pocket, because they are priced at twice what they should be, so it's not really stealing."

guido4475

Not a Member
This word-"Stealing"- doesnt sit too well with me."Stealing" would be something I take with me without paying for it, right?? Well, I do not leave the shower room with the extra water I use in my pocket, gallon jug, bucket, etc, right? So how is it stealing?The extra water being used goes down the drain. I would think the more better word of choice here is "Using" or "Consuming".

Another train of thought, example....Say I take one of those first morning dumps that require like 4 flushes before the bowl is empty...Being a considerate toilet user...Those 3 extra flushes...Did I steal that extra water??? Do I just leave the turd floating for the next guy to deal with because I dont want to steal water?? Something to think about....lol...

Steady Eddie

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Hope you guys know that the Moen 3838 used at T/A are only 2,5 gallons per min. shower heads. If they have such better flow why change them, at other T/S's that have 2.5 gpm?

guido4475

Not a Member
Hope you guys know that the Moen 3838 used at T/A are only 2,5 gallons per min. shower heads. If they have such better flow why change them, at other T/S's that have 2.5 gpm?

The T/A shower heads do not need to be changed in my opinion.They are fine.And there are alot that are fine else where.It is the ones that I can pee harder then what they put out at that I change.I test them first upon removal.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
This word-"Stealing"- doesnt sit too well with me."Stealing" would be something I take with me without paying for it, right?? Well, I do not leave the shower room with the extra water I use in my pocket, gallon jug, bucket, etc, right? So how is it stealing?The extra water being used goes down the drain. I would think the more better word of choice here is "Using" or "Consuming".
Like I said, people can try and justify it in all manner of ways, but that doesn't change what it is. Taking something with you that you did not pay for is not the sole definition of stealing. Using or Consuming something you did not pay for is also stealing. Stealing, or theft, is the illegal taking of another person's property (in this case, water) without that person's freely-given consent. What you do with it after stealing it doesn't absolve the theft.

If I steal your wallet out of your van, and then throw it in the dumpster behind the building instead of taking it with me, did I steal it? If I scarf down a Snickers bar while inside the convenience store, and then go to the restroom and toss it back up into the toilet and then flush it, does that somehow make it not stealing?

Bypass the electric meter or the water meter at the house, and see if you can slide by calling it "Using" or "Consuming" and claiming that's not really stealing.

Another train of thought, example....Say I take one of those first morning dumps that require like 4 flushes before the bowl is empty...Being a considerate toilet user...Those 3 extra flushes...Did I steal that extra water??? Do I just leave the turd floating for the next guy to deal with because I dont want to steal water?? Something to think about....lol...
You said it yourself, the dump in question required 4 flushes to empty the bowl. No extra water was used. On the other hand, if you don't take a dump and you go in there and just flush the toilet over and over and over again, it's either vandalism or theft, take your pick, since the owner of the property still has to pay for the water used.

The TA shower heads, like most low flow heads, put out 3.5 gpm but at the same pressure as the old shower heads. It's the addition of a separate flow restrictor on the J's heads that reduce pressure. It's a small disc inside the head with a smaller orifice that reduces the flow of water, and thus the water pressure.

"It is the ones that I can pee harder then what they put out at that I change."

As you get older and older, you'll find fewer and fewer shower heads that will put out harder than you pee. :D

It won't be long before you'll envy the J's industrial strength flow restricting shower heads for their raw power. LOL