Time for Salads

ihamner

Expert Expediter
It is that time of year again when we start having some summer salads with our sandwiches or meats that we cook on the grill. I just bought all the ingredients to make a pasta salad with some fresh veggies and pork bar-b-que. Anyone do salads in the summer that keep well in the fridge for a change?

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Yea, from my salad recipe book soon to be published -

two tomatoes
onion
oregano
basil
olive oil

Cut up tomatoes, some like them diced while others like them chopped. Some will not like the seeds, I keep them in the mix just because I am too lazy to core the tomato and I actually think it adds to the flavor. Chop up some onions and mix together. then add the herbs mixing it as you go, I usually use a table spoon of oregano and a tea spoon of basil. once it is all mixed, I add the oil, let it sit for 15 minutes then serve. The thing is if you get a chance to get different types of basil, it makes it a little different.

Oh the freshness of the tomatoes matters on how long it lasts. I used fresh tomatoes right off the vine when I had my little garden and I made the salad, forgot about it and a few days later I found it and eat it, it was really good.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
India I thought of you today when I found some medjool dates with walnuts in the middle they are awesome! I think of you everytime I see these dates.
That was a great information you posted a long time ago.

I enjoy summer and the summer salads and all of the fresh fruit.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Ditto on the dates - where'd you find them? :confused:
Greg's tomatoes sound great, I'd add a bit of feta cheese, though. And I like to add mandarin oranges to salads with dark leafy greens - it really perks them up.

wellarmed

Not a Member
Try broccoli,cauliflower,cucumbers,red onion,ranch dressing,and a little mayo,refrigerate over night to give time for the flavors to intermingle. 4 to 5 day,maybe longer shelf life,gets better every day. You can add tomatoes to each serving but not to the main salad it realy kills the shelf life.

Last edited:

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
We found the dates at Casa de Fruta out here in Caifornia. They carry them year round.

The ideas are great for salads.

babs3361

Expert Expediter
Here is one of My favorite salads:

Broccoli Bacon Salad:

1 bunch broccoli ( cut into sm bite size pieces mostly tops)
1 Lb Bacon (chopped)
8 oz sharp cheddar cheese (cut into sm pieces)
1 cup onion (chopped)

Dressing:

1 cup real mayo
1/2 cup sugar ( can sub Splenda use measurement equivlant on box) No differ in taste
1 Tbls vinegar

Fry bacon & drain well. Mix all together and pour over Dressing. Best if made the day before.

AnneM

Recruiter
Recruiter
Kraut salad! Keeps forever!

kraut, diced green pepper, diced onion, celery, 1/3 cup vinegar 2/3 cup sugar, 3 T EVOO.

YUM!

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
Caprese Salad

Simple, easy and soooo good....I eat this once a week

4-6 roma tomatoes seeded and chopped
1 med ball of fresh mozarella cheese chopped
a fist full of fresh basil chopped
balsamic vinegar (get good stuff)
olive oil (not lite)

mix in a large bowl and drizzle with GOOD balsamic vinegar and olive oil.. The key is Good quality Balsamic, not the stuff you buy at the corner grocery store, Get good stuff ...it will be sweet and like syrup (it is great on vanillia ice cream all by itself)

Let it marinate in the frig for a few hours and enjoy. The won't be enough to save so eat it all in ine sitting...

Oh it is good with toasted bagettes also...or day old toast, lol

AnneM

Recruiter
Recruiter
Chef! try that with grape tomatoes! split the tomato put the moz on the bottom and wrap it in a fresh basil leaf! dip in in your "dressing". salad to go! you can put a toothpick in them to hold them to travel! And....try it with a little piece of salami wrapped then the basil leaf. Dang! I am now hungry!

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
Anne I am open to eating most anything that is wrapped in fresh basil leafs......well not anything, but you get the idea!! :D:D

Hey did you pull any recipes from the sonoma diet book i left with you yet!?!? If i remember there are a alot of good salad type meals in there......

AnneM

Recruiter
Recruiter
As a matter of fact i have! It's a great book! Thank you so much!

Seriously try the caprese bites. They are truly fabulous!

truckn-lace

Seasoned Expediter
Try this shrimp salad: Pasta Shells, cut velveeta cheese in cubes bout half a large box,
2 cups celery, 1/2 cup onion diced, 9 divined shrimp, 1/2 bell pepper.
Use miracle whip only and use about 2 cups add sugar salt and pepper to tast smooth out with milk till creamy. Note never ran into anyone doesn't want a repeat great in frige for leftovers for another day. usually the next day watch with shrimp

truckn-lace

Seasoned Expediter
Try this fresh Pea Salad everyone falls in love with this easy in truck to fix too:
Can of Peas drain and dump in bowl, dice onions put in bowl, mild cheddar cut in squares,
sweet baby pickels diced, celery cut up, fresh tomatoes cut up, salt and pepper, now add Hellman's {do not repeat do not use Miracle Whip you will throw it out will not work}
you want to add just enough to be creamy. I have added a fresh avocado too I don't even like sweet pickles and use the brick cheddar or marble cheese guaranteed to enjoy