Thread chatter, ‘The Magnificent Seven’

What do you prefer?

• Members self police themselves to reduce chat.

Votes: 9 20.5%
  • Chat whenever and where ever you want.

Votes: 6 13.6%
  • Keep chat the way it is.

Votes: 2 4.5%
  • Delete anything straying from the original topic.

Votes: 4 9.1%
  • Use common sense and common courtesy.

Votes: 20 45.5%
  • Something else.

Votes: 3 6.8%

• Total voters

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Good morning Turtle :)
Good morning.

I have no idea what you are getting at btw :confused: - but then again I have not had my tea yet. :p

Care to explain? :rolleyes:
Not without risking a Code of Conduct violation, but I'll give it a try.

You don't hear it, probably, because of you're accent. But most Brits, when they say the word can't, it sounds just like another word that Americans pronounce in a manner that begins with a "c" with the sound of a "k", but rhymes with hunt.

EnglishLady

Veteran Expediter
Good morning.

You don't hear it, probably, because of you're accent. But most Brits, when they say the word can't, it sounds just like another word that Americans pronounce in a manner that begins with a "c" with the sound of a "k", but rhymes with hunt.

Really :eek:

Okaaay from now then I will just say ..... won't. Thanks for the heads up

:D:D

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Good morning.

I can't say that I noticed that when I lived over there, but then again, I did live in Yorkshire and many up there don't speak English.

jaminjim

Veteran Expediter
I haven't been here very long but two things stand out above most things regarding this topic.
I was hoping for one thing to stand out more than anything. :D
One, only 35 people have voted so either it's not that important to the majority of the subscribers to this site:
Thats not the one I hoped for, People don't vote for various reasons, the number one reason is probably that they don't really care, and I'm guessing that number two reason is that they are unaware that they don't have to post a comment in order to vote, and a close third is they might not know that it can be done anonymously
Or two, if someone has a fly on their head, most of the time a fly swatter will suffice.
When a fly is buzzing around my head the first thing I do is try to ignore it, If after awhile that fails I then try to wave it away with an open hand. If that fails I then go get the fly swatter and seek to discourage it (cause we all know that once you get up and get the fly swatter you can't find the offending fly, and kill one that was minding his own business.
A select few are using their keyboards as hatchets to remove the aforementioned fly.
I think using the keyboard as a hatchet would be asking the powers that be to delete chatters posts. What I ask is that the M7's use some common sense and common courtesy, and decide if the post they are making is one that will enhance the thread or is going to be one to many nonsense posts.

I will post an example in another post why I think to much banter/chat is detrimental to someone's attempt to get information.

Last edited:

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
I haven't been here very long but two things stand out above most things regarding this topic. One, only 35 people have voted so either it's not that important to the majority of the subscribers to this site: Or two, if someone has a fly on their head, most of the time a fly swatter will suffice. A select few are using their keyboards as hatchets to remove the aforementioned fly.

In reality there are only 20 or so members that post/chat daily all the other members either are lurkers or chat rarely and a few take breaks from EO for months at a time.

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
Oh and believe it or not I am near the bottom of the daily posters with only 3000 something posts, nowhere near the 10000 plus level :eek:

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
Okay, I count 6 threads right now that are basically the same subject. Reminds me of the location thread fiasco. In the end after all that happened we ended up with the original location thread and things basically stayed the same as they are now.
I realize some people don't like the banter or wading through page after page of meaningless drivel about shorts, pickles, cheesecake, cake balls etc. In the end though, we are a group of people each with our own personalities and wants from this site. I don't really think any one of these threads are going to change the way that EO runs, it might make us think more about what we post. Also I don't think that anyone should be making personal attacks at another member, this is where we should draw the line. Rant over

jaminjim

Veteran Expediter
Okay lets say that I'm the average member doing some research while out on the road, I am thinking about changing Carriers because I think the grass is greener anywhere else but where I'm at. My internet connection speed is about normal, which for me is slower than I like but it is good enough to do the job.

I see that Load One is a hot topic on EOL so I read thru the first few pages, and for the most part it is informative so I monitor the thread and even subscribe to the thread and get e-mail notifications when someone posts to that thread. After the next 100 posts I stop the subscription to it for obvious reasons.

So part of my research into the Carrier is that I want to find out who is signed on with the Carrier and follow their movements in the Locations threads, So I go back and Open the Load One thread where I left off and wade thru all the nonsense posts so I can see who, what, (vehicle type) and how much (money and miles).

So now I go and wade thru all the banter in the locations thread to get additional info about their running. What seems to be good areas dead areas higher pay for some locations.

If I did this at the end of the Month I would have gone thru 1600-1700 posts to get my info. How many of what I went and reviewed was of any value?

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Jim..and all the rest have made their respective points..lets all give it a rest, absorb and see if anything comes of this...lets not hammer it to death and scare off newbees....

letzrockexpress

Veteran Expediter
Okay lets say that I'm the average member doing some research while out on the road, I am thinking about changing Carriers because I think the grass is greener anywhere else but where I'm at. My internet connection speed is about normal, which for me is slower than I like but it is good enough to do the job.

I see that Load One is a hot topic on EOL so I read thru the first few pages, and for the most part it is informative so I monitor the thread and even subscribe to the thread and get e-mail notifications when someone posts to that thread. After the next 100 posts I stop the subscription to it for obvious reasons.

So part of my research into the Carrier is that I want to find out who is signed on with the Carrier and follow their movements in the Locations threads, So I go back and Open the Load One thread where I left off and wade thru all the nonsense posts so I can see who, what, (vehicle type) and how much (money and miles).

So now I go and wade thru all the banter in the locations thread to get additional info about their running. What seems to be good areas dead areas higher pay for some locations.

If I did this at the end of the Month I would have gone thru 1600-1700 posts to get my info. How many of what I went and reviewed was of any value?

The glaring irony of your sig line is blinding...

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I voted the common sense choice, which is, of course, vague. My common sense tells me that if pickle availability and delivery isn't the thread topic, it should be done via PM. Others might say that common courtesy would be to let those with a cucumber on their backs have it.

scottm4211

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
From my perspective as a long time lurker: I've been on boards with hundreds of thousands of members, and on those sites the threads move fast and can get lost quickly.
Here I don't see anything like that happening, and many times I've logged on here to see very few posts, and even less new threads started. So I guess I'm of the camp where the more posts, the better.

Signed,
Someone who was kicked off of a 600k member messageboard for too many off topic posts. :eek: