Thread chatter, ‘The Magnificent Seven’

What do you prefer?

• Members self police themselves to reduce chat.

Votes: 9 20.5%
  • Chat whenever and where ever you want.

Votes: 6 13.6%
  • Keep chat the way it is.

Votes: 2 4.5%
  • Delete anything straying from the original topic.

Votes: 4 9.1%
  • Use common sense and common courtesy.

Votes: 20 45.5%
  • Something else.

Votes: 3 6.8%

• Total voters

jaminjim

Veteran Expediter
Recently there have been threads that have gone well past their shelf life because of what I like to refer to as the ‘Magnificent Seven’. These are the people that post whatever comes to mind in any thread that they happen to click on. These posts mention pickles, pickle packers, cakes, cake balls, cars, coffee, and shorts.

When you ask that they refrain from trying to take over so many of the threads they normally tell you how wonderful the site is because they can say and do anything they want because it’s in the name of camaraderie (ca·ma·ra·der·ie n
a feeling of close friendship and trust among a particular group of people.) So who is this particular group? It can’t be from just one carrier because they don’t all run for the same carrier. The only thing that seems to be a common trait is a total disregard for the Forum or it’s membership.

In the current Locations thread one of the seven has six posts on the same day, not because they changed locations (they don’t drive for a carrier) it appears that they only ‘say’ something because they have a need to ‘say something’.

Why can’t the chatters recognize that the attempts to create a chat thread was to give them a place to chat, and leave threads alone.

Reactions: 1 person

jaminjim

Veteran Expediter
Fair enough Jim...and I will CONTINUE to control my wayward ways even more so....:)

BTW..I voted #1 option...just so ya know..

This whole topic has been brought several different times, it is now to the point where some of us have been told to "shut up and stay the heII out" Thats going a little to far IMO.

I have had several people contact me in private after I mention the chat saying they don't want to annoy their friends so they keep their opinion to themselves.

EnglishLady

Veteran Expediter
I would like to take this opportunity to say, in particular to new members, that you do not have to post something to vote.

Just scroll to the top (page 1) and you will see the options.

:D

jaminjim

Veteran Expediter
The poll so far is solving nothing...
Well the Poll itself won't solve anything, but I think if enough people participate in the poll, it will give a clue to those of us who should tone it down, if that is me I have already said that if the vote goes for chatting, I will not post a complaint about it on a ruined thread again.

it neither supports your point or mine....
It's early but there are only 4 votes saying they want to post whatever whenever, where ever.
the only real contentious issue is where the control point is...where self control comes in and ones personal opinion where that line is....
I'm willing to trust your judgement.

jaminjim

Veteran Expediter
I,.. for one don't want chatting whenever and where ever either..gee whiz....

But Ken that is what it has turned into. Only a very few would say that there should be no chat or banter, and I'm not one of them. But I think once people post for the third or fourth time in a thread without making a quality post or two on the original posters thoughts or question, it is to much. Maybe people should post more about the topic or something related to the topic instead of just the chat.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
When this issue was first raised awhile back, the response from Admin was to move the non-banter thread to the Loading Dock [or Layover, I forget], which was exactly the opposite of what belonged where. The handful of [very] active members who insist on posting chatty things that should be PMs, took that as a green light to continue, and have only gotten worse - instead of filling the Location thread with chat, there are now several threads where one has to wade through too much 'stuff' to read anything of interest [to the rest of us.]
I'd like to think that requesting folks to use common courtesy and common sense would work, but it hasn't so far - ask them to use PMs and, [as OVM posted] "the answer is no'.
They're enjoying themselves, and if EO suffers the same fate as the other site [in which several of the current members were very much involved], oh well - it was fun while it lasted, eh? :(

ATeam

Retired Expediter
I don't know of people consider me to be in the Magnificent Seven or not but this topic gives me pause to think it might be a good time to take a break from the EO Open Forum. I have done so in the past with good results.

Forum participation can become an unproductive addiction or addiction-like activity if you let it. It is fun to post. It is fun to get immediate feedback. It is fun to think that you somehow matter more or are having a positive impact in the world because you participate on the EO Open Forum. And, some of that might even be true.

But it is also true that you get more of what you think about and if you think about the Open Forum too much, you get less of the other things that may be better to think about.

I have been on this forum for several years. This post is my 4,763red. That puts me nowhere near those at the top of the post count, which suits me fine. But it is to me a discomforting number...way too high.

Christmas is coming. After Diane and I go home to Minnesota for the holidays we are going to our vacation home in Florida for an out-of-winter stay. Going off the road for a while will be a good way to clear my head. Going off both the road and the Open Forum will do so that much better.

I'll be back, but in the interests of my mental focus and productivity, I'll not post again until February 1. 2011 or sometime thereafter. There is more to life than the Open Forum and I'm going to focus on that.

For those who are interested, my blog will remain active.

Last edited:

jaminjim

Veteran Expediter
No Phil your not one of the magnificent seven that are being talked about. They are the ones that post anything, anywhere, anytime that they so choose.

transporter

Expert Expediter
banter is not providing information to the topic at hand.
banter is not having a apposing view to thread.
banter is not being biased in a curtain direction.
banter isnt going at it back and forth as long as it is about
thread.

ateam you are not one of the banters. your imput has enriched EO. not saying you are always right but than again some say i am not always right:)

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
In the current Locations thread one of the seven has six posts on the same day, not because they changed locations (they don’t drive for a carrier) it appears that they only ‘say’ something because they have a need to ‘say something’.

I'm not sure if i'm one of the 7 you are refering to (I don't drive for a carrier), I have never hidden that fact.

I joined EO to try to gain some knowedge about the field of my chosen endevor for the future. Along the way, I have developed somewhat of a friendship with some, even though we may have never met. This feeling of friendship may be seen by some as weird.

If my posting bothers you, I wish you would just say so.
:(

transporter

Expert Expediter
ragman i personaly like our intereaction even if you never drive.
this discussion is not about stopping it. it is about our banter not taking over every thread. i am going to put my neck out there and say jamjim was not refering to you on the one part. he may consider you one of the seven though.

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
Several active threads? Really? I see a whole 2...and 1 should be elsewhere....so I will CONTINUE to restrict MY enjoyment of the site for the benefit of others...:rolleyes:

Thank you OVM for making the ultimate sacrifice for the few that hate banter:rolleyes:

jaminjim

Veteran Expediter
I'm not sure if i'm one of the 7 you are refering to (I don't drive for a carrier), I have never hidden that fact.
Nope, your not one of the people that came to mind.

I joined EO to try to gain some knowedge about the field of my chosen endevor for the future.
That is what makes EO so good.
Along the way, I have developed somewhat of a friendship with some, even though we may have never met.
That is good, hopefully you will get the chance to meet some of them.

If my posting bothers you, I wish you would just say so.
:(
No your posts don't bother me at all.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I'm not a big fan of the banter, which is why I stop reading the locations thread after the first couple of days, and then will only check on it once or twice during the remainder of the month. As long as the banter doesn't hijack or interfere with a thread, and it doesn't start until the thread has run its natural course and is about over anyway, I can't get too bent out of shape about people having fun online, since that's what online if for.

Did you know that many Brits can cuss in America and not have anything negative about it said to them? Ask someone from England to say "can't". :D