Thinking about expediting?

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
If you're thinking about getting into expediting, here's something to ponder. You WILL be at a HUGE disadvantage while you're learning. Moreso than in the past. Not only are you dealing with inexperience, but you're dealing with rising fuel prices and a stalling economy.

Most likely, you have no idea what an expedite freight lane is. Fact is, quite a few ppl who've been in this biz for years have no idea what one is. You have to work while you're loaded, then work some more after you drop. Do you stay in MS and wait for a load? If so, you'll probably be disappointed.

What are your expectations? If you have a family, and this will be the sole income, I'd recommend you find something else. By family, I'm talking one or more kids at home... not empty nesters. Until you pass that learning curve, you will likely not make a good profit. You might not even make minimum wage.

Still thinking of going thru with it? Do you have money in pocket for three to four weeks on the road until you get paid? Do you know what it costs to live on the road? Are you disciplined enough that you can pass by the trinkets and that menu at the truckstops? Trust me! You will lose money rather than make it if you don't watch what you spend.

Ok. If you're confident you will make it, here are a few things you'll need.

1) A good laminated atlas.
2) A fuel finder/truckstop guide and the "Next Exit". You need to plan ahead where you're going to fuel, eat, and shop.
3) A computer with internet connection is more of a necessity these days than a luxury.
4) Contacts! I can't stress enough that ppl getting into the biz need to surround themselves with a circle of SUCCESSFUL drivers in the SAME COMPANY in which they themselves drive. While you're in the learning curve, talk to these ppl. TAKE THEIR SUGGESTIONS on where to go after you drop. Dispatch doesn't always know what's going on, and may tell you to stick around an area that might average one run a week. Eventually, you will learn what works for you. But until then, be a student to someone willing to teach you how this biz works. Success breeds success! Not only do successful drivers know how to make a profit, but they are an inspiration to someone who might always strive for mediocrity. Do not be a "know it all" or whiny to these ppl, as they'll drop you like a bad habit! Ask questions and listen when it pertains to business.

All this, in no way, guarantees success. But it will give you a lot better chance to survive in this dog-eat-dog world. And we're all wearing Milkbone underwear! ;)

-True independence can only be gained if you're trully independant.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
>If you're thinking about getting into expediting, here's
>something to ponder. You WILL be at a HUGE disadvantage
>while you're learning.

That is where research plays an important role. The more you learn about the business BEFORE you begin, the less significant your inexperience will be. You do not have to learn from your mistakes. You can instead learn from the mistakes of others. Where do you gain such knowledge? Right here. Read at least one year's worth of posts in the Open Forum. Go to school on what others say.

Moreso than in the past. Not only are
>you dealing with inexperience, but you're dealing with
>rising fuel prices and a stalling economy.

Rising fuel prices will be offset by rising fuel surcharges with a good carrier. In your research, make sure you figure out how fuel surcharges are calculated and paid. Some surcharge plans are better than others. Make sure you know the difference.

More and more expediters are expressing the belief here that the economy is slowing. They are correct. In the past, a slower economy means less freight to haul. There is no reason to believe things will be different this time around. If the slowdown worsens and becomes a recession, note that the average recession lasts XX months.

>Most likely, you have no idea what an expedite freight lane
>is. Fact is, quite a few ppl who've been in this biz for
>years have no idea what one is. You have to work while
>you're loaded, then work some more after you drop. Do you
>stay in MS and wait for a load? If so, you'll probably be
>disappointed.

Again, this is where research pays off. If you read the prior posts, you will know.

>What are your expectations?

Very, very important question. If you can't answer it, stay out of the business until you can.

If you have a family, and this
>will be the sole income, I'd recommend you find something
>else. By family, I'm talking one or more kids at home... not
>empty nesters.

When people who have kids at home ask Diane and me about expediting, we tell them to wait until their kids are grown and gone. We have no children of our own. If we did, we would follow that advice. Kids need their parents at home, not out on the road. No disrespect for those who are doing otherwise. Each family must make the decision that is best for them and other factors come into play (like no other job and the need for money).

Until you pass that learning curve, you will
>likely not make a good profit. You might not even make
>minimum wage.

Not so in all cases. There are lots of people that get into the business and do OK if not well from the beginning. Those with good research under their belts and good coaching lined up from their fleet owners or other drivers will tend to do better than those that are trying to feel their way on their own. Need to know what to do next if you find yourself in Mississippi? It's not hard to figure out. Call your mentor and ask.

>Still thinking of going thru with it? Do you have money in
>pocket for three to four weeks on the road until you get
>paid? Do you know what it costs to live on the road? Are you
>disciplined enough that you can pass by the trinkets and
>that menu at the truckstops? Trust me! You will lose money
>rather than make it if you don't watch what you spend.

All true, only three to four months worth of cash reserves are a better minimum to think about. You may need every penny of that and more if a severe economic slowdown comes. Other kinds of slowdowns come too.

Personal slowdowns happen when family needs pull you home or when you become too ill to drive. Bureaucratic slowdowns happen when your license plate gets lost in the mail. Carrier slowdowns happen when your safety department takes you out of service until they fix a mistake they made. Mechanical slowdowns happen when the truck breaks down and parts are not available. And there is always in the back of your mind, the dreaded accident that may be minor and takes you off the road for a few days, major and takes you off the road for a few weeks or months; or worse. People do get seriously injured out here. Be careful.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
>If the slowdown worsens and becomes a recession, note that
>the average recession lasts XX months.

That should be 10 months, not XX months.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
Hey T-Hawk how will we handle the up coming recession if the rate of inflation increases dramatically as also predicted?

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Great post Larry, and right to the point.

Davekc
owner
23 years
PantherII
EO moderator

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
>Hey T-Hawk how will we handle the up coming recession if the
>rate of inflation increases dramatically as also predicted?

I don't know. Cross your fingers, maybe? ;)

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
Ateam... you're right on with most things. However, when you say learn from others' mistakes, that might be fine as far as finding out where to get your oil changed, or where not to eat. That kind of "book smarts" is not the same as "street smarts" that only learning on the fly can provide.

Absolutely read back thru the forums. But don't think you know everything just because you read a lot. Reading Grey's Anatomy doesn't make one a surgeon. And reading EO doesn't make one a successful expediter. Guidelines are no substitue for experience.

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
So, you're saying that the roads aren't paved with gold and I won't get 72 virgins when I deliver a hot load on time?

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Reading Grey's Anatomy doesn't make one a surgeon.

It doesn't?

I think that Phil's dissectional response brings up something I warn others about, when they read or hear how successful some are and how they got thier, don't forget that they are not experts and many can never take the path that they have taken to become successful.

Driving for an owner does not always work out for people while the owning a cheap truck does. No access to special privileges or training is not open to all, so going down that path is not possible for all.

The last thing for others to think of, researching is a small part of all of it, a newbie may end up like many who don't have the mentors or anyone who can answer some questions that can't be answered on a forum. It really does take experience to learn the real facts of this business, but that sometimes means months if not years to get that experience.

I am wondering if things get really tough out here in the real world, how many will offer to help their competition?

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
>So, you're saying that the roads aren't paved with gold and
>I won't get 72 virgins when I deliver a hot load on time?

Better watch it...they might be male virgins!!! hahaha

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
What happens when you are finished with number 72? Perhaps you are made a enuch.

easyrider2697

Expert Expediter
OK now you guys are getting off topic seriously! Better watch out might offend someone in here....ok back to reality...Great post, I really hope some read this before jumping in... I honestly wish some recruiters would read some of thins and follow it instead of just looking for the commission off the numbers the sign up for the week...

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I second that emotion: it was a very well written post, and I hope you'll contribute more, when you find time.

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
t hawk,if the newbies dont understand what youve posted,then they wont be around long.I just read your post,its right on the money.hope it does some good

ATeam

Retired Expediter
>t hawk,if the newbies dont understand what youve posted,then
>they wont be around long.I just read your post,its right on
>the money.hope it does some good

That may be a false hope. You can tell people what you think is important for them to know, but there is no force on earth to keep them from believing what they want to believe.

It's like driving in fog. While you can broadcast every good reason there is to be careful and slow down, many people will continue to speed blindly ahead, sometimes to their doom.

FIS53

Veteran Expediter
I should print this and keep a copy. I ran into a newbie at toronto airport yesterday and he was not properly prepared. He even did not know filling in his waybill (both his and air)correctly. Another driver showed him a manifest and how to do it right and gave him some tips. But he did not research nor learn a lot prior to the training the company gave him. There seems to be some info lacking from the company. They showed him some stuff and such, but he seemed to be missing a lot of info. So hopefully he survives, seemed like a nice guy, but boy is he in for a rough time.

I guess today its hire them and get them out there. Not too good. Even the smaller courier companies seem to be guilty of this today. Not like past years where they made sure of a lot of info as it meant making the driver more efficient.
Rob

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
Fis... you're right. It seems like the companies, both big and small, are assuming failure at orientation time. It's like the drivers are most likely to move on, so why try and help them. And God forbid you ask the tough questions! It's like you're from the ol'boys network and you're swiftboating them. ;)

If you're in a situation where you're not getting answers, don't be disuaded. Either push for what you want to know, or walk. Just cause you're at orientation doesn't mean you've sold your soul. I've seen ppl who've left orientation with a bad taste in their mouth, and I know ppl who've ignored their instinct and stuck with the company... and both good and bad resulted. My advice is go with your instinct. Same with an owner. If your gut says no, it's probably not just asking for roast beef.

-A bore is a person who opens his mouth and puts his feats in it. - Henry Ford