The wave of Muslim immigration at Europe's borders is getting ugly.

aristotle

Veteran Expediter
The major cable news channels are playing it down a bit, but several European countries are facing unprecedented waves of Muslim immigrants trying to enter their countries against the will of the indigenous population. Chaos, social upheaval and severe strain on public services follow. Some European nations are resorting to tough tactics to turn back or stem the tide of uninvited guests. With a presidential election cycle beginning here in the US, how will immigration mayhem in Europe factor into the 2016 political calculations?

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
You're characterization of them as immigrants is a bit off.

What they actually are, are refugees ...

Here's an article giving a short comparison of the differences between the two:

Immigrant vs. Refugee

And clearly, given the fact that the Syrian Christian population numbers around 1.7 million, not all of these refugees are Muslim.

In international law, the matter of refugees is covered by the Convention relating to the Status of Refugees (a 1951 treaty, with an additional 1967 protocol), assuming a country is party to that treaty:

Convention relating to the Status of Refugees

As far as 2016 political calculations, you can probably expect at least some of the GOP candidates to say some stupid things. The Democrats may - or may not - make use of such free ammo, depending on which way the xenophobic winds are blowing.

It's also possible that there may a little discussion on overseas military adventurism, and the wisdom (or lack thereof) of seeking to overthrow stable, secular governments in the Middle East.

aristotle

Veteran Expediter
In the past 48 hours, Dr. Ben Carson stated he would not advocate for a Muslim becoming President of the US. CNN finds this controversial. CNN finds Kim Davis controversial. CNN finds Tim Tebow controversial. CNN finds Franklin Graham controversial. CNN finds Jim DeMint controversial. CNN finds the Boy Scouts of America controversial. CNN finds Chick-fil-A controversial. CNN finds traditional Christianity controversial. CNN's time would be better spent trying to find an audience.

Reactions: muttly and wimpy007

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
That doesn't even make sense. Who are these "a lot of people"? It's certainly not Fox News viewers, since agenda driven news is what draws them to Fox. It's not the MSNBC viewers, for the exact same reason. So who are these people, and what, exactly, is your definition of "agenda driven news?"

aquitted

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
In the past 48 hours, Dr. Ben Carson stated he would not advocate for a Muslim becoming President of the US. CNN finds this controversial. CNN finds Kim Davis controversial. CNN finds Tim Tebow controversial. CNN finds Franklin Graham controversial. CNN finds Jim DeMint controversial. CNN finds the Boy Scouts of America controversial. CNN finds Chick-fil-A controversial. CNN finds traditional Christianity controversial. CNN's time would be better spent trying to find an audience.
Is this good or bad?

muttly

Veteran Expediter
That doesn't even make sense. Who are these "a lot of people"? It's certainly not Fox News viewers, since agenda driven news is what draws them to Fox. It's not the MSNBC viewers, for the exact same reason. So who are these people, and what, exactly, is your definition of "agenda driven news?"
An agenda based on a lie for one. That turns viewers off.
ImageUploadedByEO Forums1442851373.600486.jpg

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
In the past 48 hours, Dr. Ben Carson stated he would not advocate for a Muslim becoming President of the US.
Perhaps a good question for the Docktor would be if he thinks there ought to any sort of a religious test for holding elective office ... and how he would square that with the Constitution's prohibition on such a test ...

Additionally, it might instructive were Dr. Carson to provide a complete list of all religious faiths he feels he could not support for holding office of the Presidency.

Reactions: cheri1122

Pilgrim

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
They're probably getting the audience they're targeting; it just happens to be a distinct minority.:)

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
An agenda based on a lie for one. That turns viewers off.
I'm not looking for cherry picked examples where someone may have pushed their agenda or gotten a story wrong, as there isn't a major new outlet in the country where there aren't loads of examples of that. I'm simply asking for your definition of "agenda driven news."

The reason I'm asking is, I don't think you know what it is. Based on the example you chose (which is an example of blatant biased opinion slipping into the news, not an example of agenda driven news, and happens so rarely on that network during news programs that you can actually point to them as examples of the exception rather than the rule), my thoughts have not changed. I think that you believe that any news bias, other than your own, is agenda driven news. And I think that to come up with a definition, you will Google someone else's opinion of what it means.

Reactions: RLENT

Pilgrim

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Let's see how Barack Hussein Obama responds to the requests of his Christian brethren.
A quick response (bold emphasis mine):
The U.S. is offering new details about its plan to ease the Syrian refugee crisis by significantly increasing the number of worldwide refugees it will take in over the next two years.

U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry says the U.S. will accept 85,000 refugees from around the world next year, up from 70,000, and the number will rise to 100,000 in 2017.

Aides to Kerry say that many, though not all, of the additional refugees would be Syrian.

John Kerry: US to accept 85,000 refugees in 2016, 100,000 in 2017
Of course these figures refer to LEGAL REFUGEES, not illegal immigrants. No telling how many of those we'll get.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Not a fan of accepting refugees over here. I think we would be better served doing some type of "safe zone" over there. It is a humanitarian crisis, so we should pitch in, but in the right way. We have enough problems with people pouring in.

Reactions: aquitted

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Perhaps a good question for the Docktor would be if he thinks there ought to any sort of a religious test for holding elective office ... and how he would square that with the Constitution's prohibition on such a test ...

Additionally, it might instructive were Dr. Carson to provide a complete list of all religious faiths he feels he could not support for holding office of the Presidency.
now-its-muslims.jpg

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter

He more or less answered both of those questions. He said the president should be sworn in on a stack of Bibles. So, you need to be Christian, at least for the presidency, and the Constitution's prohibition on such a requirement doesn't matter because you need to be Christian, anyway, so it's a moo point (you know, what a cow would say, and thus doesn't matter). As for the list of acceptable religions, it's just the one, stacked up for emphasis and most importance.

muttly

Veteran Expediter
I'm not looking for cherry picked examples where someone may have pushed their agenda or gotten a story wrong, as there isn't a major new outlet in the country where there aren't loads of examples of that. I'm simply asking for your definition of "agenda driven news."

The reason I'm asking is, I don't think you know what it is. Based on the example you chose (which is an example of blatant biased opinion slipping into the news, not an example of agenda driven news, and happens so rarely on that network during news programs that you can actually point to them as examples of the exception rather than the rule), my thoughts have not changed. I think that you believe that any news bias, other than your own, is agenda driven news. And I think that to come up with a definition, you will Google someone else's opinion of what it means.
That's funny right there, that you think it happens so rarely on CNN. You really haven't watch much news on their network, because if you did, you would see that have a left wing agenda regularly advanced in their news. One example would be the numerous occasions of them advancing their anti police hate campaign.
Another example would be in no one else's opinion but that of CNN news anchor Chris Cuomo himself,who said:
Cuomo responded: “Secretary, my only advice for you is that you should go on a shame campaign with Congress to get them to act. New Day will help. CNN will help.” “We wish you good luck, secretary Duncan,” the co-host added. “You’re going to have a lot of challenges in front of you, but the biggest one is to get Washington to do anything.” “I’ll take you up on that, thank you very much,” Duncan replied. The co-host concluded: “You've got it, secretary.”

A shame campaign by the Education Secretary, helped by CNN.

- See more at: Chris Cuomo Promises CNN Will Help 'Shame' Congress Into Acting on Education

muttly

Veteran Expediter
Samuel Adams, Rights of Colonists, 1772
Excerpt below:
. In regard to religion, mutual toleration in the different professions thereof is what all good and candid minds in all ages have ever practised, and, both by precept and example, inculcated on mankind. And it is now generally agreed among Christians that this spirit of toleration, in the fullest extent consistent with the being of civil society, is the chief characteristical mark of the Church. Insomuch that Mr. Locke has asserted and proved, beyond the possibility of contradiction on any solid ground, that such toleration ought to be extended to all whose doctrines are not subversive of society. The only sects which he thinks ought to be, and which by all wise laws are excluded from such toleration, are those who teach doctrines subversive of the civil government under which they live.

Last edited: