The Trump Card...

Grizzly

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Doesn't pulling out of Syria so suddenly basically hand the country over to Assad, Russia & Iran?
Well, it's not that sudden. He's been talking about it for 2 years, and wanted to do it 8 months ago. We only have 2200 troops in Sytia, the vast majority of whom aren't even in combat positions, but are rather in support operations. We weren't there to do regime change anyway

What did the US get in return? What did the self proclaimed greatest deal maker get for this withdrawal?
The US is getting 2200 troops home, where they belong, and we stop wasting money over there. It's not really a deal from a deal maker as much it is a decision to reverse the bad decision that put troops there in the first place.

I'm ok with pulling out of Syria but not the way Trump did it.
You don't give away something for nothing.
Like it or not .... Trump looks weak.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Doesn't pulling out of Syria so suddenly basically hand the country over to Assad, Russia & Iran?
Well, it's not that sudden. He's been talking about it for 2 years, and wanted to do it 8 months ago. We only have 2200 troops in Sytia, the vast majority of whom aren't even in combat positions, but are rather in support operations. We weren't there to do regime change anyway

What did the US get in return? What did the self proclaimed greatest deal maker get for this withdrawal?
The US is getting 2200 troops home, where they belong, and we stop wasting money over there. It's not really a deal from a deal maker as much it is a decision to reverse the bad decision that put troops there in the first place.

I'm ok with pulling out of Syria but not the way Trump did it.
You don't give away something for nothing.
Like it or not .... Trump looks weak.

I'm not sure we really had anything?

muttly

Veteran Expediter
Obama didn't do this, sorry. He had everything set up for stagnant unemployment, wages, and a rock-solid 2 percent annual GDP for the foreseeable future.

If he didn’t set it up this way we would already be in a recession by now.

Slow and steady, it’s the way a good expediter drives and it should be the way our economy works.

Sent from my iPhone using EO Forums
There's nothing wrong with a vibrant economy. What we had previously was more on the anemic side. And it was like that for a long time too. People bore the brunt of it unnecessarily after the meltdown. It should have just been a hiccup afterwards.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
President Trump can't win on any issue. He gets ripped for pulling our troops out of Syria and he would get ripped for leaving them deployed. The media and their experts keep harping that Isis could return without a U.S. military presence. Of course Isis could return. If not Isis some other fanatical group. These terrorist are like penisroaches, they will always be with us. We can not eradicate them.

Personally I believe we have no business trying control the Middle East. Countries, religions, sects, tribes etc. all hate each other. The only unifying attribute these people have is their hatred for the U.S.

Reactions: Solar

muttly

Veteran Expediter

I heard some reporting that some politicians in Washington were distraught by Trump's decision to pull out of Syria. No word on how the 2200 troops feel about it. I'll bet many of them are relieved to get out of there and come home.

Reactions: Turtle

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Government shutdown drama dominated recent news cycles. Virtually lost in that mess was the news that Trump signed the criminal justice reform bill known as the First Step Act.

This bill passed the Senate 87-12 and the House 358-36. The bill was championed by Jarrod Kushner who worked hard on it for many months to help move it through the legislative process. It was as strongly supported by people on the left. When signed, Trump received high praise from people who are usually highly critical of him.

This bill is perhaps the biggest bipartisan success story of the Trump administration to date. It shows that the parties can work together when they want to. It is unfortunate that this story of bipartisan cooperation and success got lost in the shutdown news.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Obama didn't do this, sorry. He had everything set up for stagnant unemployment, wages, and a rock-solid 2 percent annual GDP for the foreseeable future.

Slow and steady, it’s the way a good expediter drives and it should be the way our economy works.
I guess 2% GDP growth and 10% unemployment over 8 years qualifies as slow and steady.

Grizzly

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

I guess 2% GDP growth and 10% unemployment over 8 years qualifies as slow and steady.

ObamasNumbers-2017_May2018.png

Unemployment-Rate-Change2.png

Here's the link ....
Obama's Final Numbers - FactCheck.org

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Facts? Not at all a problem. But it's how those facts are massaged are framed. It's a nice benchmark for comparison, but there's a world of a story behind the government's unemployment numbers, not the least of which is that people who are no longer receiving unemployment benefits are considered to be out of the employment market and are thus removed from the unemployment numbers. So when people give up and stop looking for work, the unemployment rate goes down. The Labor Participation Rate is a better bellwether.

Another one to consider is the type and quality of created jobs that affect the unemployment rate. The overwhelming number of jobs "created" by Obama were minimum wage jobs, because that's what the incentive promoted, and most of those were part-time jobs on top of it. And, because of Obamacare and companies wanting to shed full-time jobs so as not to have to pay healthcare benefits, they turned a lot of 40 hour-a-week jobs into 20-30 hour-a-week jobs, creating even more part-time minimum wage jobs.

So, yeah, Obama created a lot of jobs, almost all of them crappy, part-time minimum wage jobs, that didn't get people off of welfare. Trump, on the other hand, has created primarily full-time middle class wage jobs, increased the Labor Participation Rate, and has gotten an astonishing number of people off welfare. So when you look at raw numbers and want to draw a quick, easy conclusion, you really need to know what all is behind those numbers, and all of the variables involved, otherwise any conclusion will be inherently flawed.

Reactions: davekc and Moot

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

This chart isn't very flattering to Obama's 8 year legacy. Some of it is hilarious and seems to be at odds with what Liberals believe.

A few of my personal favorites:
Obama Numbers Gun Crime.png
ObamasNumbers-Health Insurance.png ObamasNumbers Immigration.png

Reactions: muttly and Turtle

Solar

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator

This chart isn't very flattering to Obama's 8 year legacy. Some of it is hilarious and seems to be at odds with what Liberals believe.

A few of my personal favorites:

These numbers are in a direct comparison to 1 President.
George W Bush, The President that lead us into the Great Recession.

Yes, Obama was a better President than GWBush, BUT not by much.

Trump is in a different league altogether.

Grizzly

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Facts? Not at all a problem. But it's how those facts are massaged are framed. It's a nice benchmark for comparison, but there's a world of a story behind the government's unemployment numbers, not the least of which is that people who are no longer receiving unemployment benefits are considered to be out of the employment market and are thus removed from the unemployment numbers. So when people give up and stop looking for work, the unemployment rate goes down. The Labor Participation Rate is a better bellwether.

Another one to consider is the type and quality of created jobs that affect the unemployment rate. The overwhelming number of jobs "created" by Obama were minimum wage jobs, because that's what the incentive promoted, and most of those were part-time jobs on top of it. And, because of Obamacare and companies wanting to shed full-time jobs so as not to have to pay healthcare benefits, they turned a lot of 40 hour-a-week jobs into 20-30 hour-a-week jobs, creating even more part-time minimum wage jobs.

So, yeah, Obama created a lot of jobs, almost all of them crappy, part-time minimum wage jobs, that didn't get people off of welfare. Trump, on the other hand, has created primarily full-time middle class wage jobs, increased the Labor Participation Rate, and has gotten an astonishing number of people off welfare. So when you look at raw numbers and want to draw a quick, easy conclusion, you really need to know what all is behind those numbers, and all of the variables involved, otherwise any conclusion will be inherently flawed.

Ok, so we all know there's lots of factors that affect the unemployment rate. I'm not going down that rabbit hole. The same stuff applies to all presidents. Agreed on the Labor Participation Rate.

I simply wanted to point out that 10% is a silly number.

The past two years Trump has added good middle class jobs. I don't think he knows how to take his foot off the economic gas pedal. Wall Street boys have been chest thumping since he got elected. Let's see how the remaining two years play out.

Reactions: Solar

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
If the fed chairman raises interest rates again within the next quarter, Trump will fire him.

Hey, see what I did there? I'm reading Trump's mind. I could be CNN!