The Trump Card...

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
"Context" and Politifact? That's funny considering Politifact creates contexts in order to rate things how they want. Trump signed more bills into law in his first 100 days since Truman, which is 100% true, but Politifact initially rated that a Mostly False because {cue new context} none of the bills were "major" pieces of legislation. A couple of weeks later after backlash they walked that back but just couldn't bring themselves to rate it as True and went with Mostly True, even though it was 100% true.

Trump says GDP is up x percent since inauguration, but Politifact rates that Mostly False because they don't think he deserves the credit. He doesn't deserve the credit, but it's still a true statement.

Trump says Mueller's investigators are "all" Hillary supporters, with some even having worked for her. At that time there were 8 investigators. Turns out, of the 8, 7 have given money to Hillary or the DNC, or have represented the Clinton Foundation, or in one case was actually employed directly by the Clinton Foundation. Politifact reasoned that giving money to a candidate or a political party doesn't necessarily mean you support them (even though that's the literal definition of support) and because it's not illegal for government employees to give money to political campaigns, it's false to claim those who do so support Clinton. Plus, since the ones who represented the Foundation didn't represent Hillary directly, it doesn't count. But most importantly, 7 doesn't = 8 and doesn't = "all" and therefore his statement is rated straight-up False.

Politifact is a joke. That became crystal clear in 2011 when they ranked a true statement by Ron Paul as being straight-up False. Paul had said a national poll showed that a majority of Americans supported going back to the Gold Standard, which was 100% true. But in Politifact World the statement is 100% false because it was a Rasmussen poll and Rasmussen "skews Republican," and because it was a poll of "likely voters" and not everybody everybody it really isn't a national poll.

Reactions: davekc and muttly

muttly

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Oh. C'mon. I'd let that Politifaux go.
Too much in Da Tank :D

From article : (bold emphasis mine)
Rice didn’t tell Woodruff “I can’t disclose that kind of sensitive information,” or “no comment,” she told her “I know nothing about this.”

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
"Context" and Politifact? That's funny considering Politifact creates contexts in order to rate things how they want. ...
Sounds kinda like Da Mutt ...

Not really sure what "Da Mutt" has to do with Politifact, but I don't think it's going to be any more successful at jacking the thread than going after LDB did. In fact, I'm positive it won't be.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Rice didn’t tell Woodruff “I can’t disclose that kind of sensitive information,” or “no comment,” she told her “I know nothing about this.”
Rice went from "I don't know nuthin' 'bout birthin' no unmaskings!" to "Well, yeah, I know a little bit, I unmasked a few people, but I'm with the government and my poop don't stink so it's cool," and now to "You're goddamed right I ordered the Code Red unmasking! This was a sheik who dissed the Obama for cryin' out loud!"

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
"Context" and Politifact? That's funny considering Politifact creates contexts in order to rate things how they want. Trump signed more bills into law in his first 100 days since Truman, which is 100% true, but Politifact initially rated that a Mostly False because {cue new context} none of the bills were "major" pieces of legislation. A couple of weeks later after backlash they walked that back but just couldn't bring themselves to rate it as True and went with Mostly True, even though it was 100% true.

Trump says GDP is up x percent since inauguration, but Politifact rates that Mostly False because they don't think he deserves the credit. He doesn't deserve the credit, but it's still a true statement.

Trump says Mueller's investigators are "all" Hillary supporters, with some even having worked for her. At that time there were 8 investigators. Turns out, of the 8, 7 have given money to Hillary or the DNC, or have represented the Clinton Foundation, or in one case was actually employed directly by the Clinton Foundation. Politifact reasoned that giving money to a candidate or a political party doesn't necessarily mean you support them (even though that's the literal definition of support) and because it's not illegal for government employees to give money to political campaigns, it's false to claim those who do so support Clinton. Plus, since the ones who represented the Foundation didn't represent Hillary directly, it doesn't count. But most importantly, 7 doesn't = 8 and doesn't = "all" and therefore his statement is rated straight-up False.

Politifact is a joke. That became crystal clear in 2011 when they ranked a true statement by Ron Paul as being straight-up False. Paul had said a national poll showed that a majority of Americans supported going back to the Gold Standard, which was 100% true. But in Politifact World the statement is 100% false because it was a Rasmussen poll and Rasmussen "skews Republican," and because it was a poll of "likely voters" and not everybody everybody it really isn't a national poll.
Think they just added another attorney that was a big Clinton supporter. Kind of stupid because even if they found something, it will be diminished to a political witch hunt. More "fake news" coming :D

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Think they just added another attorney that was a big Clinton supporter. Kind of stupid because even if they found something, it will be diminished to a political witch hunt. More "fake news" coming :D
The Mueller investigation has to be overwhelming enough to convince members of the House and of the Senate, the Republican membership more specifically. It has to be undeniable and irrefutable. It can't be anything that can be construed as this or that. And it can't be an overwhelming mountain of "this or that" evidence, either, because that dog won't hunt. It will need to be something specific, something very clear cut. And they don't have it. If they did we'd know about it already. Instead, they're digging for "this or that" evidence that will lay on the "depends on what your definition of is is" foundation of rocky proof.

One thing history has shown us is, the longer a DOJ investigation takes, and the more evidence they amass, the less likelihood there is of a conviction.

muttly

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter

She supported Clinton and was involved in misconduct in a government case. Sign her up. What could go wrong? :rolleyes:

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Kind of like the reaction to Nancy Pelosi regarding the DACA deal with Trump. Trump is doing with DACA exactly what people on the Left want him to do, but because Pelosi and Schumer are in on the deal, they, or at least Pelosi, is now pure evil. At a town hall today her constituents shut her down, yelling non-stop for half an hour until Nancy finally just left. Working with Trump is "normalizing" Trump.

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
Oh. C'mon. I'd let that Politifaux go.
Too much in Da Tank :D
Da facts is what they is ... :D

Yup ... question is: What was she referring to with the word "this" ?

Sent from my iPhone using EO Forums

RLENT

Veteran Expediter

Errr no ... at least as far as we currently know.

Might have inadvertently gotten picked up in the later wiretap of (literal foreign agent/Cheeto campaign manager) Manafort though ... which could be utterly hilarious ... or gravely concerning, depending on your viewpoint.

Of course Cheeto wasn't the TARGET of that wiretap (so far as we know) ... so for him to claim he was "wiretapped" would be inaccurate, or at least not the whole story/complete truth (perish the thought)

And I know you're a real stickler for "accuracy" ...

Oh Do You Think Trump Will Be Mad About This BREAKING PAUL MANAFORT WIRETAPP FROM THE CAMPAIGN TIMES

I just wanna know what Don McGahn is hiding from Bobby Three Sticks in the WH safe ...

Trump Lawyer ‘Deep Throat’ Gives TED Talk About Russia Scandal To All Restaurant Patrons In Earshot

Last edited:

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
Think they just added another attorney that was a big Clinton supporter. Kind of stupid because even if they found something, it will be diminished to a political witch hunt.
Well, that's the difficulty.

I hear a lot of squealing from the pro-Cheeto crowd about how it just isn't FAIR ... as though having the investigation done by a bunch of Cheeto partisan hacks would be "fair" ... or "honest" ...

With the current crew one thing is for sure however: probably won't be no Cheeto campaign wrongdoing getting swept under the rug.

Drain The Swamp !!!

More "fake news" coming :D
Turtle made sure you didn't have to wait too long.

Last edited:

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Of course Cheeto wasn't the TARGET of that wiretap (so far as we know) ... so for him to claim he was "wiretapped" would be inaccurate, or at least not the whole story/complete truth (perish the thought)
Interesting spin that you can only be wiretapped if you are the TARGET of a wiretapping. Of course that's not true or accurate at all, but it is nevertheless interesting.

Obviously, wiretapping (a term which includes any interceptions of any electronic conversations) Manafort is not the same thing as wiretapping Trump, but the distinctions rapidly disappear if Trump is actually on tape (a term which also includes digital audio files and other recorded equivalents).

The legal distinctions do matter, but a well worn tactic of government electronic communication surveillance is that if they want to tap Person A but can't get a warrant, but they can get a warrant for Person B, and
Person B talks to Person A a lot, goal accomplished. The NSA had turned that tactic into a fine art.

Reactions: muttly

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Turtle made sure you didn't have to wait too long.
Just to make sure I understand this, you're accusing me of posting fake news, because I posted a screencap of Julian Assange's opinion?

Interesting, considering nobody ever gave a TED Talk at a restaurant. But there it is, in the news.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Yup ... question is: What was she referring to with the word "this" ?
It's pretty clear if you watch the interview that "this" referred directly to the unmasking of Trump campaign and transition officials, since that's what the interview was about.

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
The Mueller investigation has to be overwhelming enough to convince members of the House and of the Senate, the Republican membership more specifically. It has to be undeniable and irrefutable. It can't be anything that can be construed as this or that. And it can't be an overwhelming mountain of "this or that" evidence, either, because that dog won't hunt. It will need to be something specific, something very clear cut. And they don't have it. If they did we'd know about it already. ...
The Latest Scoops from CNN and the New York Times: A Quick and Dirty Analysis - Lawfare

Key take away:

"What does this mean for the future of the Trump-Russia investigation?

No one knows for sure—and take with a grain of salt anyone who predicts things confidently. It’s clear that L’Affaire Russe isn’t going away anytime soon. It’s clear that Mueller knows a great deal that the rest of us do not. And it’s clear that the White House’s public dismissiveness aside, there is real reason for the president and his coterie to worry about the many shoes left to drop. Beyond that, things remain very murky."

One thing history has shown us is, the longer a DOJ investigation takes, and the more evidence they amass, the less likelihood there is of a conviction.
Bobby Three Sticks don't like long, meandering investigations ...