Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Reactions: muttly and xiggi

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Rather than saying we "pulled out" of the Paris Climate agreement, we should simply state that we've "aborted" it.

The left will find it much more palatable.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
What Bill Maher said was a spontaneous, off-the-cuff joke, clearly not intended to be racist. Comedy is already choking to death on how PC the world has become. If Bill Maher said it to a black comedian guest like Chris Rock, with a mostly black audience it would have been celebrated as "genius" and "edgy."

Maher and Sasser were just a couple of white guys sitting around engaging in "locker room talk." <snort>

Maher is anti-Muslim, a.k.a. racist (even though Muslim isn't a race), and in the eyes of many he's more Libertarian than Acceptable Progressive Liberal, so the libs aren't going to have his back, and his show on HBO not likely to survive this. And if that happens, I'm OK with it. Not because I think his show should be cancelled over "offensive" comedy, but because his show is 90% pulpit preaching and 10% comedy, and only half of that 10% is funny, and only 10% of the remaining funny half is thought-provoking and intelligent.

True, I stopped watching his show a long time ago, for the above reasons, and I only catch the odd snippet here and there on YouTube, but nothing I've seen on YouTube has made me change my mind. The gems worth watching, and there aren't enough of them to justify the show's existence, IMNSHO, are when a guest cuts through the BS and just owns his fury little behind with a dose of reality and common sense.

muttly

Veteran Expediter
I don't watch Maher show. Just have seen snippets. Not a fan, but not pushing for a boycott.
Imo the word shouldn't have been used. I think the issue is that Maher is a white guy. If it had been Chris Rock saying it then (while I don't like it used regardless of race) it wouldn't have caught much attention. Probably because many black comedians have used the word in their comedy. White comedians don't.
There was laughter from the audience though and Sasse, while caught grinning during their conversation, was smiling about something else. Sasse is getting trolled a bit on social media by some for not speaking up at the time and because he often gets sanctimonious with comments about Trump. So some want to give him a taste of his own medicine for not speaking up.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I don't watch Maher show. Just have seen snippets.
Stick to the snippets. You're not missing, not have you missed, much of anything. The first 3 or 4 years the show was really good, informative and had lots of thought-provoking opinions presented with civil discourse all around. He called himself a Libertarian, and mostly stuck with those positions. That began to change little by little, and then when he came out in support of Obama in 2008. That's when he called himself a Progressive Libertarian (which is an oxymoron). The show rapidly went downhill and became a partisan bitchfest after it irrefutably came out that he had given $1 million to an Obama PAC (right after he claimed he didn't).

Not a fan, but not pushing for a boycott.
That's really more of a liberal thing, to make others suffer in revenge. If you don't like Bill Maher, don't watch his show. Easy peasy. That's what I do. But I don't feel the need to convince others to do the same. Sometimes boycott campaigns work, sometimes not. That woman, whatever her name is, that went after Ivanka Trump, because she didn't like her father, and posted all of the retail outlets that sold her clothing and accessories, she got a lot of noisy headlines, especially with the stores when they dropped Ivanka's line. But that has mostly fizzled out, and many of the stores that dropped the line have quietly added it back. Even Nordstrom, who doesn't carry any of Ivanka's stuff online does in fact in many of the retails stores, and carry nearly all of Ivanka's line in their Nordstrom Rack outlet stores. Other stores with a wink and a nod from Ivanka's company have taken to rebranding Ivanka's stuff as private label merchandise.

Reactions: muttly

Worn Out Manager

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Air Force
Sunny Isles Beach, where we are staying, is home to Trump International, Trump Royale, Trump Grand. It is also the home of "Little Russia" and the Russian mob. Coincidence?

Sent from my XT1635-01 using EO Forums mobile app

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Sunny Isles Beach, where we are staying, is home to Trump International, Trump Royale, Trump Grand. It is also the home of "Little Russia" and the Russian mob. Coincidence?

Sent from my XT1635-01 using EO Forums mobile app
Byrnes0329-A-moose_and_squirrel.jpg

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
It hardly ever fails. Been watching it in Newsgroups and in online forums for literally decades. When someone (a Grammar Nazi, especially) grills someone trying to embarrass them for their grammar, spelling or a typo, you can bet yer ass that the Grammar Nazi will spell something wrong in their admonition. Case in point. THIS IS CNN

060117-CNN-TYPO.png