The Trump Card...

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Not to mention that advancement is key to developing recruitment and morale.
Maybe in some jobs, but the FBI Director is not a position within the chain of advancement. It's (ostensibly) a 10-year appointed position, subject to the whims of the President (since Hoover, no one has served their full 10 years, with the sole exception of Robert Meuller who served 12 years thanks to a waiver granted by Congress. It's the difference between an appointed official and a career official. Those who aspire to advance within the FBI will advance to positions of task force heads, heads of field offices, and heads of divisions within the FBI. The position of Deputy Director is the zenith of advancement within the FBI, as that is not a presidential appointed position.

The biggest problem in choosing an FBI Director is that there are no set qualifications for the job. It's generally prosecution lawyers, judges, attorneys general, some with FBI special agent experience, but not necessarily. In the 45 years since Hoover's death we have had 14 FBI directors (appointed and acting). That's an average of 3.2 years per term. Picking someone outside of DOJ/FBI may be cause for them to be viewed as an outsider, but at 3.2 years per, it might not matter. It's the career people who run things, anyway. But that's why I think someone with a 20 year history at the FBI at various positions within the Bureau should be the primary candidates for the job. After that you start looking at people with 20 years experience as a federal prosecutor and/or 10 years on a federal court bench. It's those 20 year FBI people and the 20 year federal prosecutors and judges who have the most intimate knowledge of how the FBI works.

Don't you hope to park your shell in John Elliott's chair someday?
emoji23.png
I'm not going to talk about what I do in John's chair when John is on a plane, out of town. :D

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Democrats don't believe that anyone is responsible for their own actions, so of course Greg Gianforte's actions will be blamed on someone else. <snort>

Reporter Ben Jacobs is kind of a tool, a leftist activist as much as he is a journalist, but then again you can say that about many of today's journalists. Now with the Guardian, formerly with The Daily Beast, and before that mostly a freelancer who wrote a lot of articles for Salon, Huffington Post, The Atlantic, The Boston Globe, Newsweek, among others. From Baltimore, he has a BA in history from Grinnell College and a law degree from Duke. He has never worked as a lawyer. He recently wrote a piece slamming Gianforte for having financial ties to Russia. Gianforte has a lot of money (made his millions starting a software company, which was then sold to Oracle), and most of it is in a wide variety of mutual funds, mostly index funds. It turns out that about 1% of his assets ($250,000 of his roughly $200-$300 million) are in two different Russian index funds. Yawn. Anyone with money in any of the 5 largest US mutual funds also has money in the same Russian index funds. But the piece tried to make it look like Gianforte is in tight with the Russians.

Jacobs entered Gianforte's campaign headquarters without permission, refused to leave when asked, and kept pressing GIanforte with questions.

None of that is an excuse for physically attacking a reporter, though, and Gianforte will have to own it.

A couple of years ago the Dothan, AL city commissioner, Amos Newsome a Democrat (wearing the suit in the pic below), attacked WTVY reporter (<-- video) Ken Curtis (not wearing the suit in the pic below).

No one blamed Trump.

And, amazingly, not a peep out of Don Lemon on this, despite Ken Curtis having appeared on both Anderson Cooper 360 and Don Lemon's show in the past (to give insight into the Geneva shooting spree that left 11 people dead).

Newsome_Amos-11.jpg

Reactions: muttly

muttly

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
image.png Agree, and yes not an excuse for physically attacking a reporter.
Check out his Twitter post that he pinned. It is of the attack with a recording and a picture of Gianforte standing with...Donald Trump Jr.

Reactions: Turtle

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Greg Gianforte wins the Montana special election for the House of Representatives seat.
Liberals are so mad they could punch you in the face. Or body slam you.

On a not entirely unrelated note, liberals really like this early voting thing.
How's that working out for you?

Reactions: RoadTime

muttly

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Greg Gianforte wins the Montana special election for the House of Representatives seat.
Liberals are so mad they could punch you in the face. Or body slam you.

On a not entirely unrelated note, liberals really like this early voting thing.
How's that working out for you?
I was thinking the same thing about the early voting. Might have bit them this time because of it, although some have said that he may have won by an even larger margin had they known about the altercation earlier. :D
'Gianforte, fighting for Montana.'

muttly

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
i put Kathy Griffin with other gal comedians like Chelsea Handler and Janine Garafalo, who let their anger about politics and their hatred of people on the other side of the political spectrum ruin any ounce of comedy that they have in them.

Reactions: Turtle

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
i put Kathy Griffin with other gal comedians like Chelsea Handler and Janine Garafalo, who let their anger about politics and their hatred of people on the other side of the political spectrum ruin any ounce of comedy that they have in them.
Don't forget about Samantha Bee, Sarah Silverman, Amy Schumer, Wanda Sykes... and Stephen Colbert.

muttly

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Don't forget about Samantha Bee, Sarah Silverman, Amy Schumer, Wanda Sykes... and Stephen Colbert.
I forgot to add Sarah Silverman earlier, but yes the others fit as well. Comedians I once thought were sort of funny who have 'jumped the shark' with their deranged politics taking over their comedy. Samantha Bee, I don't watch hardly at all, but she came on the scene doing a political/ comedy show. A female version of Jon Stewart . Wanda Sykes, I used to like until she joked about Rush Limbaugh getting kidney failure. Schumer, I've seen about 30 seconds of her work. Silverman, I tune out as well . Her act is just a turn off for me now.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
On Trump's withdrawal from the Paris Climate accord...

"The Paris Climate Accord Rejection was a massive step backward for racial Justice."

The Left managed to come up with that before Trump had even finished his speech.

Wow

Reactions: Grizzly and muttly

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
1802804178429851667-account_id_1.jpg

If Trump had decided not to pull out of the Paris Climate Accord, CNN would be all over it, telling us he has yet once again broken a campaign promise because he doesn't know what he's doing, he's listening to his daughter instead of who Steven Bannon, and by not pulling out of the accord it will mean double and triple gas and electricity prices for those who can least afford it - the poor and children with asthma, and all people of any color (except white).

Reactions: Grizzly and muttly