The Thread You Can Use When You Need To

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
My carrier was asking if I was going to be running over the holiday (and I told them I would)

I dropped Wednesday morning in Congers, NY (18 miles from the city) - I picked up a load that afternoon in Bennington, VT going to Detroit - the load didn't deliver until Monday morning - so I was able to drop by the house on the way for a couple of days. :D

Last edited:

dcalien

Seasoned Expediter
Originally Posted by OntarioVanMan
Are you sitting in Home Depot parking lots, renting yourself out?:rolleyes:

Heheheh ...... that's actually closer than you might think OVM .......

(BTW, well done on the shocks - yeah - I wasn't payin' attention)

He is very close. More like driving from one parking lot to the next, and back again, then lather, rinse, repeat.

Since I can write whatever I want in this thread...

I have almost finished insulating my wheeled home, I have new curtains for the front and side windows, and I am parked next to a Bolt Sprinter driven by a guy named Ray, that apparently is in a coma.

And no one can do anything about it.

The preceding line is part of the script of Dances With Wolves, and probably copyrighted by someone. :cool:

dcalien

Seasoned Expediter
OK, where is the truck wash forum? I tried searching for it, and I lack the mad skills necessary to find it.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
jaminjim wrote:

There is a cost whether or not the vehicle is paid for up front or by making payments the cost is the same (except for interest payments)

Wrong. This business (my expediting business, which is just one of 4) has no truck, no payments no purchase of a truck so, no cost involved for that at all.

I'll net more on less gross then most.....

Its all in how you structure your business(es) and screwing with the IRS.......

dcalien

Seasoned Expediter
jaminjim wrote:

Wrong. This business (my expediting business, which is just one of 4) has no truck, no payments no purchase of a truck so, no cost involved for that at all.

Don't you count the inevitable destruction of the vehicle you use to expedite as a cost since it is an asset? And the maintenance?

I think in terms of having to replace my Sprinter when it is no longer usable, but then again it's not like I have a business degree or anything.

jaminjim

Veteran Expediter
jaminjim wrote:

Most of the Owners that I know that drive the one van that they own (or their equipment leasing company) still need to have a vehicle to drive in order to deliver the freight.

What I think you are talking about really does not apply to the average O/O. You have posted that you don't need it to pay it's way for the first six months (thats why a lot of us say to have 3-6 months of cash reserves) But you or one of your four companies still have to pay the cost of the van. You have said that you don't expect your expedite business to pay your health insurance, but most do. I know that there can be a lot of misdirection with the IRS, but that hardly applies to the 25 year old buying his first van and trying to support himself let alone a family.

That's like a retired post office worker saying he makes money only because he considers his retirement money as part of the income generated by the van.

The hocus-pocus that you do with your taxes mean nothing to the rest of the expediters, unless they are semi-retired disgruntled Chefs with multiple companies (or personalities:D)

SWISH nothing but net. It's all in the Net.

Last edited:

BillChaffey

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Navy
An Expediting business with out a Truck, must be tiring on those trips from Ohio to Laredo.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
No need to complicate the simple.
It isn't what you make in a day, it is what you are keeping.

One could gross a million a year but if they spent a million to make it, they still haven't made anything.

dcalien

Seasoned Expediter
On a positive note...

While waiting for a load, I have a 178 inch sleeper.

I have moved up 12 positions on the board in 7 hours.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
LOL, No disgruntled chef here, that business is still going, i just hired 2 others to do the work, as for the multiple businesses, yeap and a multiple personality disorder also!! LOL!

Ok so a quick, not too detailed overview,

Now, No i don't consider the destruction or replacement cost of the truck, it is written off and devalued down -0-(either by nileage or depreication schedule, and i don't deal with that stuff at all), when it is junk, it will simply be replace.

So yea there is a truck, it is owned by the equipment leasing company that owns the fitness equipment, my wifes solon and day spa business equipment, the equipment in the commerical kitchen that is rented for the personal chef business and my son in laws 2 local delivery trucks.

My post was strictly to the "its not the gross but the net that counts", post and nothing else. I said "I" could net more on less gross then most. I never said this was how the norm was od for a 25 y/o with his 1st van. I also said "THIS" business , and stated the expeditiing business, not any of my other businesses. Yes the van is maintained by the lease company (and all expenses are shown as a loss for te lease company. I do NOT pay the leasing company a dime for the use of the van. There is a Daily rental agreement written for each run, but it is never paid (that is shown as a loss on the books of the leasing co.). All money that bolt pays my expediting company goes strictly to me, the only expenses are gas, tolls, and the daily stuff we all have on the road, nothing goes to pay for anything on the van, that is all covered in the total GROSS of the leasing company.

It is a simple paper chase that has one business making a profit and paying for all expenses of 3 other business.

No where did i say this was relevent to anyone running their own business, it is simply how i have run my businesses for over 30 yrs. And yes i have been audited many times,only had to pay more when i "forgot" to claim 1099 income on my personal taxes for over 6 yrs, hey i have a bad memory ok!?!? LOL!

So no im sure a newbie with no business experience would even think of screwing around doing something like this, but I totally enjoy screwing with the irs, hell last yr my schedule "C" income on 1 non incorperated business and shown on my oersonal taxes had a taxable income of $.37 (cent) , yr before that was $.18 (cents), passed those audits too.

The fitness center equipment will be taken off the books completely this yr because i can't loss anymore money on it, except the storage fee for storing it.

So again, you can net more on less gross, just depends how how creative you want to be in who owns and pays for what.

And Dave has it right!!!

No need to complicate the simple.
It isn't what you make in a day, it is what you are keeping.

One could gross a million a year but if they spent a million to make it, they still haven't made anything.

pelicn

Veteran Expediter
We took a load that would have taken us home on Tues afternoon...got another that we just couldn't turn down so we got home Wed morning instead.
Heck, I even cooked this year!! :p

jaminjim

Veteran Expediter
Speaking of cooking (baking actually) I made three Loafs of French bread for Thanksgiving, and everybody thought that I bought them from Panera.

jaminjim

Veteran Expediter
Sure do. give me a minute

This is from Emeril. And it sure is tasty

Home-Style French Bread

Serves: 2 large loaves
2 large loaves
2 envelopes (1/4-ounce each) active dry yeast
1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons sugar
2 cups warm water (about 110 degrees F.)
1 1/2 tablespoons salt
5 cups flour
4 tablespoons yellow cornmeal
1 egg yolk mixed with 1 tablespoon water

Using an electric mixer with a dough hook, combine the yeast, sugar and warm water and mix for 2 minutes to dissolve the yeast. Add the salt and flour. With the mixer on low, mix until the dough starts to come together. Increase the speed to medium-high and mix until the dough comes away from the sides of the bowl and crawls up to dough hook.

Grease a mixing bowl with the oil. Place the dough in the greased bowl and turn once. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and place in a warm, draft free place until the dough doubles in size about 1 1/2 hours.
Remove the dough from the bowl and invert it onto a heavily floured surface. Divide the dough into 2 equal portions. Pat each portion into a large rectangle, about 3/4-inch thick. Roll up the dough, beginning with the short side and stopping after each full turn to press the edge of the roll firmly into the flat sheet of dough to seal. Press with your fingertips. Tuck and roll so that any seams disappear into the dough.
Sprinkle a baking sheet evenly with 2 tablespoons of the cornmeal. Place the loaves on the baking sheet, about 3 inches apart. Sprinkle with the remaining 2 tablespoons cornmeal. Cover the loaves with a cloth and let rise until double in size, about 1 hour.
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
With a sharp knife, make diagonal slashes, about 1-inch apart, on the top of each loaf. With a pastry brush, brush the egg wash evenly over each loaf. Place a cup of hot water in an oven-proof container on the baking sheet with the loaves. Bake for 45 minutes, or until the bread is golden brown. Remove from the oven and cool on a rack. Slice to serve.

Last edited:

jaminjim

Veteran Expediter
A couple of quick tips. First and foremost check the expiration date on the package of yeast. Second is don't use tap water (most have small amounts of chlorine and it kills the yeast) use bottled water. And third, I skipped the glass of water and instead sprayed a mist of water when I put the bread in the oven and 10 minutes later, and 10 minutes after that. (It helps make the crust crunchy)

pelicn

Veteran Expediter
Ooooooooooooh that sounds really good. Thanks so much! I will try this when I get home again :)

jaminjim

Veteran Expediter
This might not be on topic but I have extremely dry skin. to the point of cracking, and bleeding most of the year. When it gets cold I almost have to sand the dang flakes off. But I found a new hand cream called "Vaseline Intensive rescue clinical therapy" within three days my hand were almost completely smooth. Best stuff yet. It is not real greasy but you won't want to grab the steering wheel right after you put it on.