The Perfect Company to Sign on With

mypie

Seasoned Expediter
One of the most common questions asked by would be expediters is . . . Which company is the best to lease on with? :confused:

This is a most impossible question to answer on EO because we are all signed on with different companies. The only answer to this question is . . . Do your homework.

Each company has its own criteria and you need to be able to qualify to the companies standards. So, the place to start is by talking to the Recruiters. Call a recruiter from each company that you are interested in, and even companies that you may not be interested in - you might be surprised. Before calling you need to arm yourself with a boatload of questions. But, if you've never been in this business before, you don't know what questions you need to ask.

First, what are the qualifications? Do you need HazMat, special licensing, a clean driving record. The answers to this question alone will begin to narrow down which company to sign on with.

Secondly, you should be asking questions of the recruiters. Average number of miles/week, what are the types of freight you are hauling, average cents per mile. Make a list of all the questions you want to ask and write them on cards so that you will remember them while you're on the phone.

OK, you have been through all the Newbie Paradise Forum pages on EO. And, now you've talked to all the recruiters. You should have narrowed down the companies that you're interested in to 2 or 3 just by doing this. Your next step is to hang out at the truck stop. Hopefully, they will have a copy of Expedite Now on the magazine stand to help pass the time while you're waiting for drivers to stumble in. The weekends are the best time to do this because freight usually moves M-F and the drivers will have more time to chat. You will find that many drivers will be very honest with you and even appreciate having someone to vent frustrations or award praise. You will also want to talk to more than 1 driver from each company. Some people just have a bad attitude and some are not running their business properly to make a profit (which is why they are miserable). It is when more than 1 driver from the same company says the same thing that you can begin determining whether or not it is information is good. :rolleyes:

Believe me . . . this is exactly what my husband and I did nearly a year ago. We were both career changers and we didn't want to jump in both feet and then find that we'd made a serious mistake or we hated what we were doing. Gratefully, we are very happy with the move that we made and also grateful that we'd done our homework before choosing a company. The worst part was the first 3 months and getting used to sleeping during the day in a moving truck. So, once you've made the move . . . hang in there a while - things will get better and if they don't move on. Life is too short to spend it doing something you hate.

Mypie :p

Reactions: 1 person

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Good post. All to often people enter with just too little knowledge about the business. Your post is a great reminder to new folks to really do your research.

Humble2drive

Expert Expediter
What company is best?

I'm Fed up with this question. there is no Excuse for it.
I'm turning White with frustration and I am about to take off the Gloves

Can't people just read between the lines and figure it out?

All kidding aside. Good post and good advice.

Last edited:

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
Very good post and every company is not for everyone! As Leo has always said each company has warts and you have to decide which warts bother you the least.

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
What company is best?

Think I know him,lol,but seriously this is a great post.What company is great for one person,may be the pitts for another.I myself don't ask recruiters for specifics on any company,I try to be in contact with some of their drivers.That is plural,cause you may have one that is always busy,and one that turns most the loads down and is never busy.
I've been an owner opp for over 25 years,and to this day I have not asked 1 recruiter as to what I may expect if I should lease my truck to their company.I have asked the pay scale,whether milage or percentage pay,and if a solo is ok,or team better. With my new co driver,wont be in White Glove any more,I asked recruiter question how he thinks I'll do? recruiter said," I may be better running solo in White Glove than team in surface",I cant see how that can happen.
But as I stated before,each company has its own merits,you need what will suit you,and it takes time to study the situation

VBobby

Seasoned Expediter
As a driver doing my home work I can add this.

Attend an EO Expediter Workshop.

I did last night in Knoxville. You will get your fill of information. You will get questions answered face to face. You will get answers to questions that you haven’t even thought of that others will ask. You will meet recruiters, fleet owners, truck sales people, EO staff and more. (I met Terry, minus Rene). You will gather as much information there in four or five hours as you would in days of reading old posts on the site here. You will also get a good meal and lots of goodies like hats and cups and such.

It exceeded my expectations and I would consider it an essential step in your research if you are serious.

Of course I am still confused about a lot of things, but I am now confused at a higher level.

Bob

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
I don't want to scare anyone off ,but that perfect company doesn't exist.I love my company,or I wouldn't be here this many years.And they are far from perfect.But what they are, is just what I want in a company.I've never been lied to,my pay is never late,and they keep me relatively busy.
Which ever company you are leased to,this is all you can ask.
It's basicaly a partnership between the owner opp and the company,they get the loads and you pick up and deliver them,you then split the income.The company has to look out for their employees,and their expenses,as you do with your truck expenses.If times are slow,it hurts both party's.

Last edited:

theoldprof

Veteran Expediter
Finding the right carrier is like trying to find the right church, doctor, or political party. Just have to ask people and try it. If the shoe fits, wear it, if it doesn't, kick it off.

Mdbtyhtr

Expert Expediter
I was there too! I sat next to Bob from Sharpsburg, GA and his lovely wife. (enjoy the coffee cup!)

I am studying this business for future opportunities and really appreciate the heart felt and honest answers from everyone there.

If you are not willing to invest the time and money to learn how much you don't know, who would you invest in?

My best to all,

Scott

VBobby

Seasoned Expediter
I was there too! I sat next to Bob from Sharpsburg, GA and his lovely wife. (enjoy the coffee cup!)

I am studying this business for future opportunities and really appreciate the heart felt and honest answers from everyone there.

If you are not willing to invest the time and money to learn how much you don't know, who would you invest in?

My best to all,

Scott

:eek:Uh, you are about to get me in some real trouble. My lovely wife wasn't there and I was definitely alone. :eek:

I drove up there alone, I sat, alone, next to a couple from MI. I then left alone, immediately and I drove straight home, alone.:rolleyes:

Can I get a witness?:)

Bob

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
:eek:Uh, you are about to get me in some real trouble. My lovely wife wasn't there and I was definitely alone. :eek:

I drove up there alone, I sat, alone, next to a couple from MI. I then left alone, immediately and I drove straight home, alone.:rolleyes:

Can I get a witness?

Bob
Bet that one tops the list of strangest questions asked after the seminar, lol, but sure hope you get an alibi - er, answer. :)

Mdbtyhtr

Expert Expediter
My apologies, Bob, I must have mistaken you with somebody else from GA. Sorry if I caused you any issues, the couple I sat next to were definitely married :)

And I gave them a coffee cup from my Bail Bonds and PI business...

Scott

mypie

Seasoned Expediter
What company is best?

Cute. But, that is a perfect example. White Glove isn't for everyone. Expediting isn't for everyone. Some people are very attached to a pet and you can't have a pet in White Glove.

If White Glove doesn't fit you'll have to just quit.

Sorry, that was really bad.