The other side of truckstops

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
After reading about all the awful places, how about mentioning some that were a pleasant surprise?
I'm partial to Danny's Big Rig Resort in Phoenix, (I 10, exit 137, across from the Pilot) myself: not as nice as Jubitz, but definitely a step up from the average. "Resort" is maybe exaggeration, but they do have some palm trees, lol. :D

pelicn

Veteran Expediter
Hey Cheri, don't you mean across from the Flying J? :p We had a fantastic truck wash there! The place is spotless! They also have really good burritos. The only problem, the grill closes too early. We've only stopped briefly at Jubitz and didn't get a chance to check it out.
A pleasant surprise for us was the Petro, I-80 in Milton, PA We hadn't stopped there in a year or so, and it was spotless. The laundry room is large, clean and inexpensive.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
Bob really likes to go to Walcott and when he does I end up getting the check book out! We once spent the weekend there and it was a losing proposition on that load. I also like the laundry room as it is large and has plenty of washers and dryers.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Hey Cheri, don't you mean across from the Flying J? :p
No, but there probly is one there too - the freebie calendar I picked up says there are 3 in Phoenix, (exits 133A, 137, & 138) but the one across from Pilot is the only one I've been to, so far.

ThibodeauxBayou

Not a Member
Chisum Travel Center‎ in Lubbock

[small] Medium sized with all the basic creature comforts.

Food is good and staff are friendly.

Just east of I-27

210j51f.jpg

hondaking38

Veteran Expediter
i ate at the ta, exit 112 on 1-80 illinois...great place, great food and there homemade bakery is unbelievable....of course its not your run of the mill ta restaurant, 90% of the people in there were families....

pellgrn

Expert Expediter
I think it's a Petro2 now,was a independent Clearwater M.N mile mark 178.Love the deli and bakery,Rest room are clean but small and only a couple showers.

mjolnir131

Veteran Expediter
i ate at the ta, exit 112 on 1-80 illinois...great place, great food and there homemade bakery is unbelievable....of course its not your run of the mill ta restaurant, 90% of the people in there were families....

Oh Ronnies yes!!! the strawberry pillows are marvilous tons of freash strawberrys and real whipped cream. my vote for a must stop if in the area

gotta go

Veteran Expediter
I like The New England T/S, exit 3, I-84, Sturbridge, MA. The lot is rough, the building old, looks like a dump. Fuel is same price cash or card, free clean showers (dedicated ladies shower w/tub, free laundry, full service shop (open weekends). There's no restaurant but Cracker Barrel and Wendy's are walking distance one direction. Walk the other way to Wal-mart, mall, Applebee's, etc. And it's quiet 'cause no one wants to go to a dumpy looking old place. Used to go to the Sturbridge T/S before Pilot bought it and shut down the main building.

CharlesD

Expert Expediter
I can't remember the name of the place, but there is a small one near Wilton, NY on I-87. It doesn't look like much but it's actually pretty nice. The lounge isn't that big and they only have a couple laundry machines, but the showers are clean and cheap and the restaurant has decent food. That makes for a darn good truck stop by New York standards.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Maybe the Wlton Travel Plaza, exit 16? :D
I like to stop in Hagerstown, Md, whenever I go through, at the ACT/Exxon on 81, exit 9 - they make some pretty good food, for a gas station/truckstop! (There's a new Pilot, across the street, if you need to park).
Keep em coming, peeps, I'm takin notes here. :D

butterfly610

Veteran Expediter
We stopped at a Sinclair in North Dakota...I think it's Jamestown, but I'm not sure. The truck stop is pretty much like a gas station, but the restaraunt is great. It doesn't look like anything special, but its the first time I've had a steak at a restaraunt that was as good as home. Everything tasted homemade. If I ever go by it again, I'm going there for sure. Also, the truck stop in Chicopee, MA has really good food at the diner inside.

arkjarhead

Veteran Expediter
I like the Walcott and the Petro in Oak Grove, MO off of 70. I can't remember the exit number I think it is 27 or 28.

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter
Bo Bos, in Merimack NH if in Boston about the only decent quite place to stay.

Everitt Pkwy X-10 go R, first Light R. Food Counter is great, fuel is too expensive, so be prepared to pay $7 for a shower. But for peace and quite cannot be beat for this area.

The GRILL Hmmmmmm good.

Tuna fish on a hogie WOW get two I dare ya.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
The TA in Albert Lea, in MN is one of the better chain places I have seen. Jubitz and Danny's are nice. The Fort in New Hampshire, forget the town right now. Not much parking and the showers are downstairs as is the drivers lounge. Old and a bit worn, but the food!!! It is out of this world. Layoutshooter

bludragon13

Seasoned Expediter
we like the big souix t/s at exit 138 in Grand Forks ,ND. showers, restraunt, parking are way above the average and we always stop when in that area.

bludragon13

Seasoned Expediter
we also like the papas pantry at exit 140 on I-20,in Van Horn , tx. Park in the pilot, the restraunt is on the corner of the lot,few truck drivers as they tend to use the wendys at the pilot, good mexican food and service, lots of locals also, a must stop as parking is right there for all sizes of trucks.