The Duggars

paullud

Veteran Expediter
Nothing, I didn't know that I was. I was simply making an observation that maybe he was gay and perhaps Christians that say it's an abomination are getting it wrong, that's all.

It's an ignorant observation since there are several stories of him dealing with women and it's speculated that he was actually married.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Baking a cake is a service, but decorating a cake is inherently an artistic expression.

Forcing a gay baker to decorate a cake with an anti same sex marriage expression is forcing the baker to be an active participant in promoting political speech and ideas. That's compelled speech, and is an obscene mockery of freedom and personal liberty.

Of course they can, but if they are merely translating, they aren't expressing an opinion of their own, and are not held accountable for the opinions they translate regardless.

Decorating a cake is not an artistic expression, when the decoration is dictated by the purchaser. Nor is it compelled speech, because the speech in question is not the baker's, but the customer's. The baker is no different than a translator - he just uses a different medium to translate the message of another person.

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
Decorating a cake is not an artistic expression, when the decoration is dictated by the purchaser.
Not quite correct IMO.

The execution of the decoration (the manner in which it is done) - whether it contains a message or not - is an artistic expression.

However, if the purchaser is supplying a message as part of the decoration, and all the baker is doing is rendering that message into a physical form, the baker is simply providing a service (of a rendered message - which they may or may not agree with)

To assert that the purchaser's speech is actually the baker's however is a fool's errand ... as the opinion being expressed clearly is the purchaser's, not the baker's ...

Nor is it compelled speech, because the speech in question is not the baker's, but the customer's.
Correct.

The baker is no different than a translator - he just uses a different medium to translate the message of another person.
I wouldn't say the baker is no different than a translator.

I would say that they are quite similar however, with some slight differences.

Windsor

Veteran Expediter
It's an ignorant observation since there are several stories of him dealing with women and it's speculated that he was actually married.
Speculated? Seriously? Speculated by who? The Jesus investigators? Was that hot tip found in the bible? If it was it just lost all credibility. That's the book that says the earth is 6000 yrs old and some dude lived inside of a whale. The newest version says we rode on dinosaurs. But dinosaurs lived over 65 million yrs ago.....no wait, the earth is only 6000 yrs old. Ok something isn't adding up.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Decorating a cake is not an artistic expression, when the decoration is dictated by the purchaser.
Be it a cake, a painting, a piece of music, a sculpture, whether it is dictated by the purchaser (i.e., a commissioned work) is irrelevant. The artistic act itself is an expression or application of human creative skill and imagination, producing works to be appreciated primarily for their beauty or emotional power. If all or part of the work is dictated or even directed by someone else, it is still the artist who expresses their creative skill and imagination.

Nor is it compelled speech, because the speech in question is not the baker's, but the customer's.
Then the customer can express that speech right onto the cake themselves, they do not need the baker. The baker can give them the icing and a piping bag with the appropriate decorating tip and he can write it himself (which is exactly what the gay baker in Colorado offered when the customer wanted an anti-gay cake). It won't have the writing expertise of a skilled baker, but it won't be a message released in the writing of the baker via the bakery, either. If the customer wants a particular message on a cake, so that the message can be conveyed to others, and the customer wants the baker to place that message on the cake, the baker then becomes the courier of the message through his work. You cannot compel someone to be a courier of an ideological message they do not agree with. The Supreme Court made that very clear in the Wooley v Maynard case (which had to do with the forced display of a state motto on e license plate that was offensive to moral convictions of the Maynards, but the same courier standard apply).

The baker is no different than a translator - he just uses a different medium to translate the message of another person.
A translator's job is specifically translate speech from one language to another, and to not voice his own opinion in doing so. Therefore, no one can reasonably conclude or make the mistake that anything a translator says in performing his function is as an endorser or a sponsor of anything he translates. Everything a translator says is explicitly attributed to the person speaking the language being translated. Everything an artist creates is explicitly attributed to the artist who created it, whether it was a commissioned work or not.

witness23

Veteran Expediter
Rub a dub dub,
Three fools in a tub,
And who do you think they be?
The butcher, the baker,
The candlestick maker

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
It's to point out the hypocrisy in relegion ...they can "bake the cake" ...because I have to say the word god when I pledge allegiance to my country...I'm far from happy with that..

You hate God and religion, and that's your privilege. Easy and simple yes or no question. Do you also hate unicorns?

asjssl

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
I don't hate god....it's impossible to hate something that does not exist...same with unicorns. .all a man made fantasy. .

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
It's to point out the hypocrisy in relegion ...they can "bake the cake" ...because I have to say the word god when I pledge allegiance to my country...I'm far from happy with that..
Really you Have To say the word? Did someone have a gun pointed at you? Some dont believe some do, big deal no reason for either side to hate.

Reactions: muttly

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Well, if you say so. You only have to convince yourself after all.

asjssl

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
Really you Have To say the word? Did someone have a gun pointed at you? Some dont believe some do, big deal no reason for either side to hate.

It's the point it is there...I thought our government was NOT to endorse any religion .some believe in gay marriage. .no reason to hate

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
No it isn't a reason to hate, none of it is anything but added stress and a waste of energy.

Now Mcdonalds fish sandwiches keep shrinking, that ticks me off.

Reactions: ysracer

Windsor

Veteran Expediter
No it isn't a reason to hate, none of it is anything but added stress and a waste of energy.

Is that the shrinking that your really concerned about xiggi?

Reactions: xiggi

asjssl

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner

I agree on the fish sandwich. ..but lets be honest...you don't see a problem because it's in your favor ..if it was to be taken out as it was originally wrote by a ordained minister. .there would be a problem..

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Honestly it might bug me I think our country is better with a strong Christian base. Would I get mad and post about it or complain loudly, very doubtful. For the most part I keep my feelings to myself and certainly don't try to push them on others.