TA Menu and food choices

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
One of the groups I belong to will be discussing the TA menu with the manager and chef of all the TA Restaurants.

I have specific ideas on what I would like to see added to the menu on healthy choices and wondered if anyone else had ideas about the restaurant?

The TA has added a few healthy choices but I feel they are rather blah. The same choices in all restaurants gets a little old. If and when we go inside I would like to see something different.

If you have any thoughts on this issue let me know and as the saying goes I will take them straight to the horses mouth!

This call does not involve the parking lots, the store, the showers, the laundry rooms, the shop, or the fuel pumps only the restaurant. This stuff was all discussed on an earlier call with the TA CEO and I believe will have a positive outcome.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
One of the groups I belong to will be discussing the TA menu with the manager and chef of all the TA Restaurants.

I have specific ideas on what I would like to see added to the menu on healthy choices and wondered if anyone else had ideas about the restaurant?

The TA has added a few healthy choices but I feel they are rather blah. The same choices in all restaurants gets a little old. If and when we go inside I would like to see something different.

If you have any thoughts on this issue let me know and as the saying goes I will take them straight to the horses mouth!

This call does not involve the parking lots, the store, the showers, the laundry rooms, the shop, or the fuel pumps only the restaurant. This stuff was all discussed on an earlier call with the TA CEO and I believe will have a positive outcome.

Smaller portions. Lower prices. I don't like having to pay for "all you can eat" when the first helping is FAR too large.

FAR less salt. Salt is NOT a "food group". Using too much salt to replace flavor is a sign of poor cooking skills. Those low calorie choices are LOADED with salt. It is the primary thing that I taste.

More and tastier lower calorie choices. Changing the choices more often would be nice as well. I don't even need a menu at the TA's.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
Do you have ideas of specific items you would like to see on the menu Joe? I agree the all you can eat was not a good idea. Heck even smaller plates would be nice!

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I'd like a veggie plate, like Cracker Barrel & Black Eyed Pea, with choice of 3 veggies. And salads with grilled meat would be lovely, too. :)

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Do you have ideas of specific items you would like to see on the menu Joe? I agree the all you can eat was not a good idea. Heck even smaller plates would be nice!

No so much specific items, my tastes are FAR too different from most others to be commercial.

My concerns are the SALT, BP is a hugh issue with drivers. Also the cookiing skills and methods. I LOVE veggies when cooked RIGHT. When the TA's cook them they can be eaten though a straw!! There are few thing worse than over cooked, soggy, over salted veggies!!

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Ok, one idea. A six ounce GRILLED boneless pork chop. Seasoned with garlic, onion and black pepper and NO SALT! Some chunked potatoes, lightly browned under a grill, nicely seasoned with NO salt. A good sized portion of steamed brocialli with just a touch of a LOW FAT butter sauce. Followed up with a SMALL dish of strawberry sorbet.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Before T/A does another publicity stunt, maybe they need to start with their personal and hire people who are not robots.

I have yet met a "chef" from any T/A, but I have met line cooks, short order cooks and a bunch of others who were just hired to do a job. Chef is an overused term to mean someone who cooks and in some cases they read the little prep card as they go along to make what ever and seem to have less culinary skills than my cat.

If they were serious about menu changes, get people in their places who know how to cook and who know the difference between Cumin and Cayenne.

Actually thank you Linda, I think this is a great thing but it leaves me to question the ability of T/A to actually make a change after their buffet blitz. You can't forget a majority of their customers are fat truckers who need the energy to move their fat bodies up the steps and into the cab, which even with this BIG push on healthy, the majority of people can't live on 1300 calories a day because of their body and workload.

What I would like to see other than a tattooed line cook who looks like he hasn't had a shower in a month?

Smaller portions coupled with a way cheaper price and good ingredients. Less fat used to make things, lard this and lard that at one T/A in the south seems to be a bit much.

Simple things, less potatoes and more veggies.

AMonger

Veteran Expediter
Ok, sure, put 2 or 3 low-everything items on the menu. The rest of us would like to taste our food, so don't overdo it.

Upgrade the white gravy. Cracker Barrel's sawmill gravy is the best.

Use ONLY high quality broccoli. Forget those tiny pieces of stalk. Steam it and make sure there's lemon butter sauce around.

How about a pork tenderloin roast?

The thing about the vegetables was right on--they're usually way over cooked and left to turn to mush. They frequently look disgusting.

Chicken fried chicken.

Does TA have an eggs benedict?

HOMEMADE corned beef hash. The canned stuff is a poor imitation. Or how about roast beef hash?

Taco salad in an edible bread bowl.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Ok, one idea. A six ounce GRILLED boneless pork chop. Seasoned with garlic, onion and black pepper and NO SALT! Some chunked potatoes, lightly browned under a grill, nicely seasoned with NO salt. A good sized portion of steamed brocialli with just a touch of a LOW FAT butter sauce. Followed up with a SMALL dish of strawberry sorbet.

What he said. Oh, except no garlic or onions. Oh, and no black pepper since that's on the table for those who might want it. If they want to put some chopped raw onions and/or some cooked onions as an optional on the side choice that would be ok but don't ruin the good food by cooking them with it. Good food cooked well without camouflage added.

My granny was the best cook ever. Whatever she cooked tasted just like what it tasted like, not like cardamon or cumin or garlic or any other strong tasting/smelling spice/condiment/whatever that overwhelms and significantly changes the taste of the food. She had a tin with bacon grease in it, a teaspoon going into a quart of green beans or corn or whatever. She had a heavy blue glass salt shaker, a pinch going into some of what she cooked. She had a thing of cinnamon for making cinnamon toast.

I asked her once why she didn't have one of those racks with twenty kinds of spices etc. and she said all those spices were for people who couldn't cook and had to use all that stuff to hide the fact they were bad cooks or for people who didn't really want to taste the food they were cooking, just the flavors of that stuff. I'd much rather taste the good taste of the food prepared by a good cook that doesn't have to hide poor skills with lots of fake tastes stuff.

jujubeans

OVM Project Manager
What he said. Oh, except no garlic or onions. Oh, and no black pepper since that's on the table for those who might want it. If they want to put some chopped raw onions and/or some cooked onions as an optional on the side choice that would be ok but don't ruin the good food by cooking them with it. Good food cooked well without camouflage added.

My granny was the best cook ever. Whatever she cooked tasted just like what it tasted like, not like cardamon or cumin or garlic or any other strong tasting/smelling spice/condiment/whatever that overwhelms and significantly changes the taste of the food. She had a tin with bacon grease in it, a teaspoon going into a quart of green beans or corn or whatever. She had a heavy blue glass salt shaker, a pinch going into some of what she cooked. She had a thing of cinnamon for making cinnamon toast.

I asked her once why she didn't have one of those racks with twenty kinds of spices etc. and she said all those spices were for people who couldn't cook and had to use all that stuff to hide the fact they were bad cooks or for people who didn't really want to taste the food they were cooking, just the flavors of that stuff. I'd much rather taste the good taste of the food prepared by a good cook that doesn't have to hide poor skills with lots of fake tastes stuff.

I'm hiding my spice rack....

greg334

Veteran Expediter

Leo, I understand your grandma was a great cook and like mine who used very little spices, mine mostly used spices in baking but I think our tastes evolved a bit.

Many look for something to bring out the flavor of meat, like pork or goat, sometimes just a touch of spice will do it, not overwhelming the eater and not masking any of the protein. I think cooking on a wood stove is the best and I hope someday to return to doing that (I can just see my wife trying to maintain an overnight heat :p), I think OVM/Juju may be using wood now out there in the wilderness of SD where there is plenty of meat but no gas unless it is self-made. :D

So you know, I may be wrong but sometimes people get tired of boiled food like you described in the quote. You might as well have raw potatoes to go with your boiled meat and sing Russian folk songs as you huddle near the fire can.

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
I would like to see a special of the week available at all of the restaurants and a special of the house, unique to that particular area. Like Cajun in Louisiana, beef in Texas, seafood in Florida, crabcakes in Maryland, ribs in St. Louis, lobster in Maine.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
As I recall the eggs were the only thing we ate boiled sometimes. The chicken was fried, the pork chops were grilled, not really sure how the pot roast was cooked other than it wasn't boiled. It was all just delicious straight cooking.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Spices and seasonings add flavor and variety to foods. A good cook knows how to properly use them, a bad cook doesn't.

The quest for herbs and spices over the millennia has led man to exploration, to financial success, and even to war. Every kid is taught that Columbus discovered the New World, but few are taught why. Columbus was seeking an alternative route to India in an attempt to break the monopoly that Venice held on the world spice trade. Thanks to there being a whole 'nother continent in the way, the world now has vanilla ice cream. Yes, I know that the vanilla "overwhelms and significantly changes the taste" of the ice cream, but vanilla ice cream made without vanilla tastes like crap, and bland crap at that. So does spaghetti sauce without marjoram, thyme, rosemary, savory, sage, oregano and basil.

Food cooked with seasonings, such as the aforementioned onions or pepper, will taste completely different than the same dish with those seasonings added after cooking, like at the table. Salt is another one that changes whether it's used in cooking or at the table. It is a flavor enhancer, but when used after cooking at the table, it requires 3 to 4 times the amount of salt for the same enhanced flavor as when used during the cooking process.

Properly used, seasoning and spices add flavors, sometimes many layers of flavors to foods. That's not the same thing as ruining good food by camouflaging it. Bacon grease adds depth and flavors, as well as enhancing the natural flavor of green beans, for example. Cooking them plain and then adding butter does the same thing, just with different flavors.

Garlic butter doesn't ruin or camouflage bread, it instead makes it garlic bread. Ever had garlic bread without garlic? It tastes like... bread. Ever had garlic chicken without the garlic? Like everything else, it tastes like chicken.

Garlic, incidentally, is insanely good for you. In addition to its antibacterial, antifungal, anti-parasitic and antiviral properties which can protect you against a wide variety of harmful, disease-causing microbes and organisms, garlic contains enzymes, calcium, copper, iron, manganese, phosphorus, potassium and selenium. Vitamins in garlic include vitamin A, vitamin B1 (thiamine), vitamin B2 (riboflavin), vitamin B6 and vitamin C. It also helps lower blood pressure (thins the blood same as aspirin does), strengthens blood vessel walls, and reduces cholesterol levels.

The selenium in garlic helps to boost the effectiveness of a network antioxidants, vitamin A, vitamin E, glutathione, lipoic acid and coenzyme Q-10, which puts garlic off the scale of the antioxidant-rich foods.

You need 3 cups of raw spinach or 4 cups of raw broccoli to equal the antioxidant punch of a single clove of garlic. Or 4 tablespoons of onions. Or 1½ cups of raw kale. Raw, cooked or powdered, garlic retains nearly all of its antioxidants and vitamins.

So, the TA should use garlic in everything. The more the better. :D

Seriously, the TA should try and not have every restaurant have essentially the same menu. There should be regional dishes, using local suppliers if possible for the produce, instead of living out of a #10 can or the freezer, and then cooking the veggies all day long on a steam table or a pot on the grill. There's nothing wrong with sautéing fresh green beans or asparagus to order.

There are ways to cook broccoli other than boiling it to the texture of egg noodles. Steamed is good, so is roasted. Cut into bite-sized pieces, blanche for a minute, drain and then toss with olive oil, garlic, salt, pepper and paprika, then roast in a 450 degree oven for 8 or 10 minutes. Can be done on a roasting pan, or even in individual ramekins, covered or not. Quick and easy, cooked to order.

Personnel (and local vendors) can be a problem, but in locations where you can get a good cook that knows how to prepare a menu and obtain good local ingredients, there's nothing wrong with having something special available on the menu for a few hours or until the "catch of the day" or whatever runs out.

Comfort food will always be popular with truckers and local alike, so some items will be the same everywhere, but my recommendation is to abandon the cookie cutter menus as much as possible and get truckers back to talking on the CB about how good the food is here or there.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I am part Italian, garlic is part of my DNA!! :p
In another life I must have been Italian.

My stepdad doesn't like Italian food. I told him he was un-American. :D

I don't know if you've seen 'em or had 'em, but at the grocery store you will find garlic stuffed olives, where each olive is stuffed with a whole clove of garlic. Olives are another good one for you. And the garlic stuffed olives pack quite a healthy punch (even though they are loaded, loaded, loaded with salt, since they are often packed in a vinegar brine, but you can sometimes find them with little or no salt at all). I'll generally eat 2-4 of those olives a day. And for those who can't stand garlic, you won't even taste it. Seriously. The olive has more flavor, enough to overwhelm the garlic.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
In another life I must have been Italian.

My stepdad doesn't like Italian food. I told him he was un-American. :D

I don't know if you've seen 'em or had 'em, but at the grocery store you will find garlic stuffed olives, where each olive is stuffed with a whole clove of garlic. Olives are another good one for you. And the garlic stuffed olives pack quite a healthy punch (even though they are loaded, loaded, loaded with salt, since they are often packed in a vinegar brine, but you can sometimes find them with little or no salt at all). I'll generally eat 2-4 of those olives a day. And for those who can't stand garlic, you won't even taste it. Seriously. The olive has more flavor, enough to overwhelm the garlic.

Go to Gilroy, California, during the garlic harvest!! Just breathing makes you hungry!! There is a bakery in Detroit that makes "garlic bread". Not the buttered sprinkle on kind, REAL garlic bread.

It is a good Italian style loaf, chewy crust with whole garlic cloves baked in. My Dad buys one or two loafs a week. That ONLY make it on Thursday and Saturday.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
I would like to see a special of the week available at all of the restaurants and a special of the house, unique to that particular area. Like Cajun in Louisiana, beef in Texas, seafood in Florida, crabcakes in Maryland, ribs in St. Louis, lobster in Maine.

Some of the TA's do this but not many. I brought this up on the first phone call and I will bring it up again.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
Great ideas and thanks for the input. I will bring up all of the suggestions everyone has added and I will also direct them to this thread so they can read the information directly from you guys.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Oh, yeah, been to Gilroy. You can get garlic real cheap there. Just follow the trucks and pick up what falls off.

The Oklahoma State Fair is going on at the moment, tomorrow is the last day. They have a long list of events, attractions and entertainment, but one intrigues me. It's the "Ostrich Cooking Demonstration". I wonder if the ostrich uses garlic in its dishes. I may have to run over there and check that one out.

I'd ask the name of the Detroit bakery, but Detroit is in SE Michigan, and I'm not allowed there any more. :D