Synthetic Oil

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter
The price of this is REALLY EXPENSIVE, so the change of oil needs to be put off as long as possible RIGHT?

I have now gone over 70K on my Synthetic oil, samples have been done every 12K or there about and the Suspension is Greased and the Fuel Filter changed as needed plus any other filter. And of course my MPG went up almost .03 to the gallon. Thicker aint better, great advertisement blitz but you want thin nice flowing oil in the Crankcase, not thick harder flowing line clogging additives, smooth real smooth is better.

There are several brands of By Pass Oil Filters out there and they all do exactly the same job with one exception. The amount of Oil and the price for the extra fuel filter.

Just on that observation alone I personally choose the OPS brand since one only looses one quart with the oil change and the job is so simple I EVEN DO IT MYSELF.

Want to add an additonal $1,500 to your bottom line every year call these guys or look them up on the Internet. Oil samples are showing no Deteriating of Oil Properties, and no signs of metals in the Oil. The true benefit to this new Tech. lets say something is going wrong in your Crankcase, the sympton will show up due to the metal that would be detected, and thus you can save yousefl a WHOLE lot of $ in catching the problem EARLY vs doing regular oil changes and never knowing until its time to call the Tow Truck.

If your not using this or something close to it your missing out, I will enjoy the extra money on Vacation, or maybee in my 401. Nah a vacation sounds more like a good way to spend it.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
We also have the OPS1 but have not made the switch to synthetic oil. We should have changed the oil right as we put the OPS1 on but our brains were out to lunch. We have 100,000 miles on our oil and each sample has come back perfect. We have always run oil samples on this engine as we knew we would really be putting the miles on it. So far every sample has came back good and no need to change the oil. We are now getting close enough to trading the truck that if we can get another 100,000 plus on the oil there is no need to spend the extra money to get the synthetic. We also know your fuel mileage should go up using synthetic but our question is will it save us enough money to justify the expense of the oil? Looking back at how much we have saved by not changing our oil almost every month has sure made me wish we had done this when we first picked up the truck. We are just slow learners sometimes!

ATeam

Retired Expediter
We would be open to synthetic oil and super-extended oil change intervals but for one thing; the truck warranty. Volvo requires oil changes every 15,000 miles or 25,000 miles for light duty use. Thus our oil change interval is 25,000 miles. It will stay that way until our warranty expires five years from the purchase date or 500,000 miles, whichever comes first. The engine comes from the factory with a bypass filter. That and oil analysis test results make it very easy to live with 25,000 mile oil change intervals.

The next issue of Expedite NOW includes a story written by an expediter who is driving a Chevy van with over 1 million miles on it. He credits much of that to synthetic oil and lubrication.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
We would be open to synthetic oil and super-extended oil change intervals but for one thing; the truck warranty. Volvo requires oil changes every 15,000 miles or 25,000 miles for light duty use. Thus our oil change interval is 25,000 miles. It will stay that way until our warranty expires five years from the purchase date or 500,000 miles, whichever comes first. The engine comes from the factory with a bypass filter. That and oil analysis test results make it very easy to live with 25,000 mile oil change intervals.

That's sad Phil, when other companies are supporting extended oil changes, especially in Europe with synthetics, Volvo isn't. They don't even make much of a distinction between the use of dino and synthetic oils.

I didn't see the light duty use anywhere in my manual, I saw normal duty use and it was really thorough down to the fuel consumed.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
How readily available are the filters? Is this something that can be had at Speedco etc. In my case I still have to have the truck pulled in somewhere for generator service and lube.
Since my drivers are fleet drivers, I still need the service actually performed somewhere.
Wouldn't mind taking a truck and testing this if it is a viable alternative.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
Dave you order the filters and oil sample kits. Bob just does the change himself as any driver can do. Very simple and you will only get a little oil on your hands. You just take the canister off, dump the oil and filter into a trash can, very small amount of oil will be in the canister, wipe out the canister or spray out with brake cleaner or solvent then install new filter and reinstall canister. Start truck let run a few minutes then take your oil sample. Use the canister provided for the oil add postage and drop in a mail box. Within about a week your oil analysis is email to you. You would still need to go to Speedco though to be greased!

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Thanks Linder,
I may have a few more questions for you. I should know them by the time of the Expo.

Jack_Berry

Moderator Emeritus
no metals in the oil?? how can that be? there is always wear happening when the engine is running. i have a bypass on my tdi. i had three samples done in 25k and saw the amount of different metals going up each time. i changed the oil and both filters at 25k. changed the oil filter at 12,5k.

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
Yeah ..... is that "no metals" .... or ...... "no abnormal levels of metals" ?

I would think you would be wanting to take your sample prior to changing the filter or otherwise opening the system ..... and take the sample pre-filter.

100K miles on regular dino oil is pretty impressive ...... looks like OPS are the ones doing the analysis ? ..... ever consider running a sample thru an independent 3rd party lab like Blackstone ? If so, what did they say ?