strange people knocking on your door

Coco

Seasoned Expediter
A seatbelt through the door grab handle also works, just release the seatbelt for quick access outside.

TwoMotherTrkrs

Seasoned Expediter
So glad you brought up this important topic, Morningstar! We are a 2-woman team and are always looking ways we can be proactive in attending to our own security. Your comment about feeding the seatbelt through the door armrest is one that had never occurred to us. You can bet we’ll start that practice RIGHT NOW!

As economic times worsen, we are noticing an increase in the number of people who approach our truck to ‘talk’, beg, sell, etc., and we’re not exactly delighted with this increase. It also seems like more folks are taking the liberty of stepping right up on our step without even a “Request permission to come aboard, Ma’am” beforehand. Personally, I don’t want people that close if I don’t know them.

DD, security cameras are a great idea and we may just go and price out a system for our D-unit.

We always try to be aware of our surroundings, try to find parking spaces where we have a better chance of being safe, and have even been know to ‘lay on the horn’ when we see someone suspicious lurking around other trucks.

I am certain there is more we can do. We’ll be watching this thread closely ‘cause I’m sure more great ideas will float across.

Two Mother Truckers runnin’ down the road
in GiddyUp-Go with a pretty good load.
Her diesel whirrs and her chrome wheels whirl
GiddyUp-Go’s a pretty good girl
Better get along GiddyUp,
Can’t slow, GiddyUp.
Get along GiddyUp, GO!

Attachments

• IMG_6713MA19499101-0017.jpg
    IMG_6713MA19499101-0017.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 18

pjjjjj

Veteran Expediter
Our truck came with an alarm, I guess similar to what would be on a car, so if someone were to try to open the door while sleeping, it would go off. But you're right, the added security of a bungy cord or something would give added peace of mind.
Just wondering how many of you carry large wads of cash around with you. I assumed most would use fuel cards, debit cards, credit cards, etc., but husb says he sees truckers pulling out large wads of cash to pay for meals, etc., all the time when on the road.
Another question.. wouldn't a would-be thief be more interested in stealing whatever is in the back of the truck, as opposed to what's in the cab? Or are they wanting to steal the truck as a whole?
Is theft, vandalism, or brutality something that happens alot in this line of work?

morningstar55ny

Veteran Expediter
Driver
So glad you brought up this important topic, Morningstar! We are a 2-woman team and are always looking ways we can be proactive in attending to our own security. Your comment about feeding the seatbelt through the door armrest is one that had never occurred to us. You can bet we’ll start that practice RIGHT NOW!

As economic times worsen, we are noticing an increase in the number of people who approach our truck to ‘talk’, beg, sell, etc., and we’re not exactly delighted with this increase. It also seems like more folks are taking the liberty of stepping right up on our step without even a “Request permission to come aboard, Ma’am” beforehand. Personally, I don’t want people that close if I don’t know them.

DD, security cameras are a great idea and we may just go and price out a system for our D-unit.

We always try to be aware of our surroundings, try to find parking spaces where we have a better chance of being safe, and have even been know to ‘lay on the horn’ when we see someone suspicious lurking around other trucks.

I am certain there is more we can do. We’ll be watching this thread closely ‘cause I’m sure more great ideas will float across.

Two Mother Truckers runnin’ down the road
in GiddyUp-Go with a pretty good load.
Her diesel whirrs and her chrome wheels whirl
GiddyUp-Go’s a pretty good girl
Better get along GiddyUp,
Can’t slow, GiddyUp.
Get along GiddyUp, GO!

ty for the kudo's.....
ya know being a solo driver..... i do my bestest to always always be very aware of my surroundings.
I know if there is a problem at a truck stop...... i have my CB and will say something to managment..... mangement is suppose to stick up for the drivers you would think .. since we all support there buiz... eyy???
ya know another time...... i was getting fuel and a girl come up started telling me her.... story about needing $13.50 .... ha ... ya know..... they come up with this odd vall number and tell u how they r stuck there ...... they have this same story for days,, weeks ,, months ,,,, yrs... at the same place.....
i know to stay away from certain truck stops.....
like downtown nashville..... unless ur looking for hookers and drugs
and the J and TA and Pilot off i20 outside of Dallas.....
when i go there.. i end up at the TA over off i 30 .. in rock wall.... its nicer.. and less rif raf...
and lets see another one is......
Petro in atlanta.... even with the fence and gaurd shack.. they still come in and knock on ur door.....
i been driving a truck for around 4 yrs now....
started out with swift...... heh
and now Panther.. i dont miss the trailers... lol
keep th epostings coming..... they r all interesting and its been a great way to get to know some of ya'll .. and hopeing to run across some of ya'll out here.

the fly swater was for dieseldiva's friggin fly...... LOL
i know someone who has that fly in there siggie line on another web site i beong too..... heh

2 mothertruckers........ very interesting post.......and cute lil poem u got there lol

Ppjjjjjj..... it might b more of a hassel too try and bust locks and /or open them big huge swing doors..... i donnu..... and everything is usaly in box's and wrapped in shrink wrap.....
i lock my doors when i leave my truck.......
1 driver told me...... how he was getting fuel and grabin something to eat to take with him.... and ledt hsi truck runnin.... in front the the fuel islands.... cause he just got fuel and was going to be in and out....... and when he got bk to his truck.....he was about to take off.. but heard something in the back.... there was a young girl in his sleeper with no shirt on......... OYY .. ok guys.... are ya'll grining??? lol
anyways..
he booted her out......
but he made me think.......
how often do we jump in our trucks to take off...... and dont look in our sleepers ???

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I never get out of the cab without locking the door. I have 3 sets of keys, two on carabiners and one on a ring. That guy is lucky he didn't come out to find his truck gone. A couple of years ago that happened to a Fedex driver who had about $2mil of Rx in the box. He went inside for a few minutes and left the truck running outside.

The hornet spray Rich is mentioning is meant as a protection device for anyone really persistent and menacing.

If your truck has power door locks and doesn't have remotes like your car you could get that added for probably a couple hundred dollars as well.

pelicn

Veteran Expediter
I've been very lucky since we've been out here on the road. I've had people come to the door and for the most part just a shake of my head will send them away. Hubby says when I walk across the parking lot I always look like I'm about to kick someone's butt, so they're afraid to talk to me. :eek:
He, on the other hand, says "good morning" and I've lost him for 30 minutes to some gabby truck driver! LOL

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
Usually at night if someone knocks I am the one to stick my head out from behind the curtains as Bob will talk to them I pretty much tell them to get away from the truck. It is so frustrating to be sleeping in a pay lot and someone know on the door wanting money. We just use our door locks and as far as we know one has tried to break on. I think that is where all of us that have dogs are lucky!

tmbm

Seasoned Expediter
When I first started driving years ago, it was as a solo female. I had lots of advice from experienced drivers and it did help to ease some of my concerns. Seatbelt through the door or chain, anything to make it more difficult to enter the truck even if someone breaks the window. Take some fishing line with a little clip on each end, clip one end to the cable for your air horn and the other through the door handle. If the door is opened it will startle the intruder, wake you and your neighbors. Now I drive a KW T300 and it has the horn switch so I can't do that with this truck. Try to park near the front of the TS, more traffic, more light...less likely for someone to break in. We all need a good flashlight, so invest in a MAG (3,4 or even 6 cell), if you have to get out at night and need protection, swing that thing, it will leave an impression. Also for anyone who doesn't already do this (or is new) always keep the box locked, empty or loaded. One is to protect your equiptment, but even when I drove company TT and the box was 100% empty it was locked. The reason is, if your in a not so desirable neighborhood and someone decides to open your box to see what they can steal while your at a traffic light and find it's empty, they're not going to be polite and close it back up for you...do you want to get out to close the doors. I was given other tips, but I found these to be the most assuring for me. Also just as when driving, always be aware of your surroundings, if something makes you feel uncomfortable then move, instincts go a long way in self preservation.

Reactions: 1 person

morningstar55ny

Veteran Expediter
Driver
The nightmare stories we read in this thread and others would NORMALLY be some of our reasons for NOT parking at truck stops. But when I think about you out there solo it would seem that you're safer among truck drivers than you would be at the local Wally World, mall, etc. At least this way if you call for help on the CB there's a good chance that someone will hear and come to help. You're sure not gonna get that at Wally World!:eek:

The only thing that I would try if I were you would be to try to get to a Flying J as often as I could and park up front with the RV-ers. Seems a little more quiet and safe up there. Other than that, if I were a solo driver, I couldn't see me parking anywhere but at the truck stop with the "big guys".

oh i hear ya.......
i have camped out at wally worlds
and i do try to park in the RV areas..... but end up getting booted to the back with the big truckers.... and to tell u the truth i like it bk with the big trucks..... but i do my best to be near the front or lite area.... somewhere.
and yes .... the drivers will come to my aid if needed.... i was surprised 1st time i ever requested for security ....and wow..... lol
sometimes..... not always.. when i come into a truck stop at night. and all the spaces r full and just cant find NO where to park........ I will get on my CB and say
aawwwwww come ONnn now..... yall mean to tell me there is NO room at the INN ... not even for a baby truck???? .... i have gotten some spaces real quick saying that.... LOL
another thing i might do..... is
when going down the interstate..... and lets say speed is 65 and i am going ahh h70 ...... and these big trucks zoom pass me.... i dont do this all the time.... but sometimes ill say....
Hey.... i think ya'll are going to damm fast now....... sooo ahh wait for me..... LOL
or i will say........ the same thing but then go...... im tellin....... heh.
they just laff at me..... ha..... tell me to come on. and catch up. LOL

morningstar55ny

Veteran Expediter
Driver
When I first started driving years ago, it was as a solo female. I had lots of advice from experienced drivers and it did help to ease some of my concerns. Seatbelt through the door or chain, anything to make it more difficult to enter the truck even if someone breaks the window. Take some fishing line with a little clip on each end, clip one end to the cable for your air horn and the other through the door handle. If the door is opened it will startle the intruder, wake you and your neighbors. Now I drive a KW T300 and it has the horn switch so I can't do that with this truck. Try to park near the front of the TS, more traffic, more light...less likely for someone to break in. We all need a good flashlight, so invest in a MAG (3,4 or even 6 cell), if you have to get out at night and need protection, swing that thing, it will leave an impression. Also for anyone who doesn't already do this (or is new) always keep the box locked, empty or loaded. One is to protect your equiptment, but even when I drove company TT and the box was 100% empty it was locked. The reason is, if your in a not so desirable neighborhood and someone decides to open your box to see what they can steal while your at a traffic light and find it's empty, they're not going to be polite and close it back up for you...do you want to get out to close the doors. I was given other tips, but I found these to be the most assuring for me. Also just as when driving, always be aware of your surroundings, if something makes you feel uncomfortable then move, instincts go a long way in self preservation.

tis is sooooooo true.
i have a lock for mine......
and i been thru some ahhhhh shaddy nieghboorhoods already....... 1 i drove thru last month... i was just waiting for someone to jump on my truck or have a bullet zing thru my window...... serious....... it was not good.

dieseldiva

Veteran Expediter
Sometimes it seems that they're hard to find but there really ARE some "Knights of the Road" still out there!

hapipupi3

Expert Expediter
I have a GREAT secrity system for my truck. It's a 45 pound Keeshond that does NOT like strange people on "HIS" truck, and he WILL let us know real fast. I have curtains that go around the entire windshield, so nobody can see inside. That helps a lot to keep strangers away,too.

As far as parking places for a "Baby Truck"--in a pinch, you can always park in front of a light pole!

pelicn

Veteran Expediter
Hubby says when I walk across the parking lot I always look like I'm about to kick someone's butt, so they're afraid to talk to me. :eek:
I posted this, and I had a funny thing happen the other day. I was walking back from the coffee pot at the J and an older gentleman was standing in line. He says, "excuse me maam, if you don't smile, I'm gonna have to bite ya! I started laughing and he says, "see isn't that better?" The man was very nice, and he explained that out here it's easy to become cynical so you need to keep smiling to keep from getting that way. As I was leaving, he says, be safe and have a nice day.

I just thought it was hilarious after this thread. So....keep smiling or I might have to bite ya!:D

Jack_Berry

Moderator Emeritus
leo posted a few months ago about looping the seatbelts thru the door handles and i've been doing it ever since. my wife saw that one time and thought it was a pretty good idea. i also keep the box locked empty. afterall a load bar has scrap value to someone who did not pay for it, right? i am surprised many drivers do not lock the box esspecially when there is a plastic seal on the back. how owuld one explain a lost seal and lost freight?

morningstar55ny

Veteran Expediter
Driver
well....... i see somelike that seat belt thru the door handle idea... it works well. lol
cause there were a couple times...... i forgot the passanger side was sraped shut.. and i would go to open the door with my key and couldnt figure why it wasnt opening...... HELLO .. lol .... they put the refil windshield washer thingie in the strangest places. lol
since i posted this thread......
ii was sitting in memphis ..... well west memphis at a pilot..... and has a awsome parking spot .. then there was this guy .. who knocked on my passanger side window...... as i am trying to read and type on the QC . and he stoof there for a few min.......
i have or had NO idea who he was ... or if he was a driver or what.
then another time i was at the Pilot over by seville .... and this guy comes up and wants to ask me ? about my QC ... and he had a panther jacket on.... ok...... well ..... it was nice outside..... and i rolled down my window and held up the QC so he could ask his ?? .... but he wanted to know if he could come inside my truck......
aaaHHhhhh......... i wouldnt let him. no no no ...... soo he had to settle for standing on the step. and i helped him with his QC ??

iceroadtrucker

Veteran Expediter
Driver
The bungie cord thing is a good thing.
If ur runnen single and a lady dont open ur doors to no jamoke or jabraoney for that matter not worth it.
A good old fashion fire extinguisher Good for putten out that fire.
Run across alot of weirdos and Vagrants and homeless claims to be's.
Maybe Im wrong and correct me some one If I am.
For a lady Maybe a Petro or Ta OR Fly J, is ok but stay away from the Pilots ect nothing but trouble.
Then again if the TS dont have security then to me not worth the time.
Just be alert dont let your guard down and take care.

Last edited:

morningstar55ny

Veteran Expediter
Driver
The bungie cord thing is a good thing.
If ur runnen single and a lady dont open ur doors to no jamoke or jabraoney for that matter not worth it.
A good old fashion fire extinguisher Good for putten out that fire.
Run across alot of weirdos and Vagrants and homeless claims to be's.
Maybe Im wrong and correct me some one If I am.
For a lady Maybe a Petro or Ta OR Fly J, is ok but stay away from the Pilots ect nothing but trouble.
Then again if the TS dont have security then to me not worth the time.
Just be alert dont let your guard down and take care.

......a ahhh jabraonyy who???? or Jabaoneyyy whats??? ....