strange people knocking on your door

inkasnana

Expert Expediter
I had so much fun reading this thread this afternoon. Lots of great tips and information and very entertaining at the same time. It was a great way to spend a cold, snowy Sunday afternoon sitting at a truck stop! :)

Hi all, I'm new here, kind of.. been lurking for a while and finally decided to post. :)

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Hello yourself - and welcome. It's great to lure the lurkers out from the shadows & into the light, uh huh. And now I want to reread the thread myself, because you're right: there IS a lot of good stuff here. Now, feel free to add some of your own, ok? :)

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
After rereading it, I think we should take pity on Moot, and explain that women get a sofa in the restrooms because some need a place to sit while feeding an infant. A private place, because the sight of a breast in public just freaks some of them out, ya know? :eek:

inkasnana

Expert Expediter
hehe, I agree! And as for why men don't have couches.. can you imagine the condition of a couch after it's been in a men's room for a few months? I shudder to even think about it! :eek:

As for my tips.. when ever I have to walk across a TS parking lot at night alone, I always have my truck key held firmly between the index and middle finger in my right hand, gripping the large end of the key in my palm. My truck key is the largest key, and sticks out between my fingers a good 2 to 3 inches. A mean weapon when jabbed into the face or eyes of a would be attacker. I'm not afraid to walk at night, I'm just very aware of my surroundings and walk with my head up and with purpose.

As for people knocking on the door or window.. I just let hubby handle it. hehe The worst place that I've found for that happening was south Dallas. It's just bad news down there. We stopped for fuel at one of the TS there on the way to Laredo one time and while hubby was fueling the truck I went in to the bathroom. On the way back out from the building to the truck I had some anorexic looking lady who looked to be about 60, with no teeth and wearing a skimpy little dress, follow me all the way back to the truck jabbering on about something. I couldn't understand a word she was saying. I ignored her and got into the truck and locked the door. She climbed up on the steps and was still jabbering. Hubby came around the front of the truck and she immediately started following him around jabbering. He also ignored her.. finished his business and returned to the truck.

I was driving at the time, and I had to have him keep an eye on her so I didn't run over her as we were leaving. After we got back on the highway we both had a good laugh over the whole incident, and we still have no idea what she was jabbering on about. lol But seriously.. in case you've never been to south Dallas area.. don't stay there!

dodgeboy

Seasoned Expediter
Having a way to bring attention on the "parking-lot-roaches" is enough to stop them in their tracks. The bullhorn idea that was discussed early on in this post is one of the best Ideas that I can think of. Also, if you have a sirene that sounds like the cops rolling up in the parking lot, you can scare the crap out of these people. I used to be an over the road trucker for 2 years and I once had this lady who wanted to get into my truck just to sleep on the seats. It's ridiculous. The truckstop chains should have the truck parking areas gated off and patrolled; period. All I can say is stay safe out there because with the economy being as bad as it is, we're bound to see more weirdos hanging around truck stops begging for change and wanting to sit inside our trucks. Well in my case "cargo van!"

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Train horns are pretty good at scarin folks off, and on a cargo van, it'd be freakin hilarious, too. :eek:

guido4475

Not a Member
that was pretty good. i was engaged once to an italian women.very beautiful and lady like, but those farts at night would kill an army. i still have flashbacks.

danthewolf00

Veteran Expediter
ohhh i guess rlent thought i was a stranger he never got out of bed to see who rocked his van!!!! and i even had lucky jack berry with me.

ron

Expert Expediter
I allways try an park in the front row,as close to the front of the building as I can get,and UNDER the bright lights. I was with a guy I worked with once whose dad was an over the road truck driver. We were going to meet him for breakfast,and his son knocked on the front of the truck,and he pushed us way back from in front of the truck. The first thing that came out of the sleeper cover was a shotgun! He looked,and saw who we were (he was expecting us),and put the gun away. I know of one guy who was bothered with "Lot lizards" He hung a ladies bra on the visor,and was never bothered again. It was his wife's idea.

morningstar55ny

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I allways try an park in the front row,as close to the front of the building as I can get,and UNDER the bright lights. I was with a guy I worked with once whose dad was an over the road truck driver. We were going to meet him for breakfast,and his son knocked on the front of the truck,and he pushed us way back from in front of the truck. The first thing that came out of the sleeper cover was a shotgun! He looked,and saw who we were (he was expecting us),and put the gun away. I know of one guy who was bothered with "Lot lizards" He hung a ladies bra on the visor,and was never bothered again. It was his wife's idea.

sometimes that dont stop them lizards .... they will still knock..and ask if ya'll want extra company..

wellarmed

Not a Member
Unless you're driving a bull hauler, Greg's tongue-in-cheek comment about a cattle prod as a weapon, defensive or otherwise, in a commercial vehicle, should not be taken seriously, particularly if you stand a chance of getting a load to Canada. Electifying your vehicle handles or handholds could also get you into a courtroom if someone got hurt because of it, even a crook or other neer-do-well could sue you.

There are no laws against carrying a weapon of any kind in a commercial vehicle. Except as you said boarder crossings.

wellarmed

Not a Member
Morningstar, Even though you are a single you might consider putting a team operation sticker on each side of your truck and the back. We had ours made rather large at a graphics design,people are less likely to target you if they think you are not alone. Sitting in the front seat can also attract unwanted attention. Though truck stops can be dangerous there is safety in numbers and most of what I have personally read on truckers being harmed or killed has taken place in more secluded less traveled environments. The most recent being the murder of Jason Rivenburg which happened in a abandoned gas station parking lot, the story is in the trucker news. The happiest ending took place in knox county Tenn. were the criminal became the victim and he will not be bothering people any more,he will be pushing Daisy's.

Last edited:

BeagleMom

Seasoned Expediter
Talked to a T/T driver at the TA in Denton TX some months ago. He had pulled in late the night before and got the last available parking space. Unfortunately it was in the back corner of the parking lot. He crawled into bed and went to sleep. A knock on the door woke him up and there was a lizard. He told her to go away and then went back to bed. After awhile here comes lizard #2 and again he says go away and goes back to bed. Well along comes lizard #3. By now this guy is getting pretty fed up with them waking him up. He had one of those large to-go cups and dipped it down into his cooler which had ice water in it. he rolled down the window and lizard #3 got a cold bath :D He went back to bed and no one else knocked on his door. This happened when it was still winter and still cold :D

Jack_Berry

Moderator Emeritus
morningstar. leo posted this one time about self security......pull the seat belt thru the hand pull in the door and buckle closed. the door is very hard to open with the belt wound thru it. plus you can leave the pass side full time locked.