Strait Of Hormuz

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
In at least 2 current threads in the Soapbox dealing with Ron Paul, the possible closing of the Strait of Hormuz by Iran has been mentioned. 85% of the crude oil that passes through the strait is bound for Asian markets. Even if the remaining 15% was headed for the U.S., so what! This is more of a concern for exporters of crude oil along the Persian Gulf and for the major importers of this crude oil in Asia. Let China, Japan, Saudi Arabia, Kuwait and Iraq deal with Iran. If we want to go to war over oil, let's keep it in our neighborhood and invade Mexico and Canada.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
There is FAR more than oil that passes through those straights. It is also the idea that ANY country should NOT be allowed to block free passage on the high seas. Iran does not OWN the straights and have no legal right, under international law, to close it down.

Freedom of navigation is paramount to the security of all nations on this earth. It is a shame that many either don't wish to help protect the high seas, or worse, fight WITH those who wish to destroy the world's security. Like, Russia and China.

hdxpedx

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
NEW YORK (AP) – For the first time, the top export of the United States, the world's biggest gas guzzler, is — wait for it — fuel.

googled truth! unlike re"lying" on the msm to go after obumer and pound him daily.. Guess they want fuel prices to keep rising...

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
There is FAR more than oil that passes through those straights.

Oh, I was under the impression oil was the major commodity passing through the strait.

It is also the idea that ANY country should NOT be allowed to block free passage on the high seas. Iran does not OWN the straights and have no legal right, under international law, to close it down.

Then let the international community deal with.

Freedom of navigation is paramount to the security of all nations on this earth. It is a shame that many either don't wish to help protect the high seas, or worse, fight WITH those who wish to destroy the world's security. Like, Russia and China.

What?

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Oh, I was under the impression oil was the major commodity passing through the strait.

Then let the international community deal with.

What?

We ARE part of the international community. So is England, they are out there. France is to a lesser degree, I am not sure about Canada. There is NO international naval force to speak of.

Everything that is shipped on boats could go through the straights, any straight for that matter. Food passes through there, televisions, cars, medical supplies, almost anything you can think of.

The worlds economy depends on freedom of the high seas. Russia and China are either behind this move to shut down the straight or, at the very least, will not do anything to stop them.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
There are two countries that should be stepping up, and we are not one of them.

With less than 15% of the world's oil flowing through the straights, the suads need to invest in pipelines to avoid problems like this.

But overall with 85% of that 15% going to Asia, it seems that iran's trading partner China, Russia, and Japan need to be involved a bit more.

The question I have to ask is why isn't the rest of the world acting as Iran is the biggest issue that the world faces. I mean for us the collapse of Greece has more impact than Iran and we don't seem to give a crap about that.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
It is an international matter, let the goobers at the United Nations deal with it. The closing of the strait does not endanger our national security. If it does and Russia and China are behind it, then let's bomb the snot out of both of them. These commies have been a pain in the butt since Lenin got a head full of Marx's teachings.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
There is far more than oil that pass through those straights, Greg. Yes, EVERY other country on the earth with a navy should be there keeping those straights open, but they are not.

It is also not only about Iran, it is more about who is directing Iran in this.

Greece is a problem, economics world wise is. Shutting down those straights will have a major impact and could be the "tipping point" for the world's economy.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Layout what else passes through there?

We only should concern ourselves with what we should be concerned about.

I read all of these articles and opinions but I have yet seen a good objective analysis of Iran and their actions that explains what is going on with them. All i seen is this bs about democracy, madmen and the idea that we are so powerful that we can scare Iran into what we want th to do.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Layout what else passes through there?

We only should concern ourselves with what we should be concerned about.

I read all of these articles and opinions but I have yet seen a good objective analysis of Iran and their actions that explains what is going on with them. All i seen is this bs about democracy, madmen and the idea that we are so powerful that we can scare Iran into what we want th to do.

Greg, food, clothing, cars, just about every thing that is put on ships, even people, pass through those straights, but you know that. We SHOULD be concerned about keeping the high seas, all of the, open to free movement. Our economy depends on that.

scottm4211

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Greg, food, clothing, cars, just about every thing that is put on ships, even people, pass through those straights, but you know that. We SHOULD be concerned about keeping the high seas, all of the, open to free movement. Our economy depends on that.

What about when the US blocks trade and passage to countries that they are squabbling with? I guess that doesn't apply then. I'm gonna start living my life with blinders on. Seems so much simpler.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
What about when the US blocks trade and passage to countries that they are squabbling with? I guess that doesn't apply then. I'm gonna start living my life with blinders on. Seems so much simpler.

When was the last time the US used a naval blockade? For what reason?

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter

When was the last time the US used a naval blockade? For what reason?

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Really food and cars and people are our problems?

Look if this was the gulf of
Mexico or bering straights, yea there is a concern but this is an area that has three counties that are not landlocked so the issues that we are concerned about are based on part our revenge/arrogance and part on our stupidity and mismanagement of our resources.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Really food and cars and people are our problems?

Look if this was the gulf of
Mexico or bering straights, yea there is a concern but this is an area that has three counties that are not landlocked so the issues that we are concerned about are based on part our revenge/arrogance and part on our stupidity and mismanagement of our resources.

US trade is our problem. We have every day merchant ships in the straights all the time, but you know that. Just as we did in the Gulf of Sidra when the Russians, through their client state Libya, tried to control that.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
The only thing that is mentioned is oil and when that happens, most of the unimportant stuff is left out.

But with that said our exports seem to come from placed that can have other ports of entry.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
The only thing that is mentioned is oil and when that happens, most of the unimportant stuff is left out.

But with that said our exports seem to come from placed that can have other ports of entry.

There are several countries that we trade with that would be cut off if the straights were closed. There is also the theory that if you allow this to happen what is the next area closed? No trade is unimportant.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Theory aside and rather not valid.

There is UAE, Iraq and saudi Arabia we only trade with that may be affected if war broke out but the striaghts in context of our exports do not pose a threat to our economy. The only true threat to our national interest is the market reaction to the shortage of oil that can effect the price because of the emotion involved.