sprinter v ford or chevy

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
This weekend my son hauled 6400# of batteries in the trusty old E350 w/960+k. Yeah, yeah, I've him that's nuts. He told me earlier in the week he was making a trip, but assured me I wouldn't be getting the "crazy amount of weight" call. Guess he misjudged.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
This weekend my son hauled 6400# of batteries in the trusty old E350 w/960+k. Yeah, yeah, I've him that's nuts. He told me earlier in the week he was making a trip, but assured me I wouldn't be getting the "crazy amount of weight" call. Guess he misjudged.

In my crazy days I put just over 5k in that Dodge and it did not even wink that much...then someone told me I should not do that!;)

guido4475

Not a Member
I have actually considered buying a used sprinter, but after reading here on how the importance of following the maintenance intervals greatly affects the reliability of a sprinter, I stopped looking at them for the one reason that How would I know if the previous owner did just that? And I didnt want to end up paying for his lack of maintenance down the road. But I can tell you this,I think the sprinter itself is a great, versatle vehicle, and I rode in one and was completely amazed at how quiet and how nice it rode, along with the gobs of room it had.The only thing I dont like about my Ford is the lack of room.But it is a cheap vehicle to maintain, and it takes a beating, and parts are cheap.The other day I saw a all-black sprinter with chrome wheels on it that looked awesome!! no co decals on it though, even though it had that expeditor look to it.

FIS53

Veteran Expediter
I currently have a Sprinter. My last van was a GM 3500 ext with a diesel. It had 500k when I got rid of it. Original transmission, original tie rods, power steering pump. Had to rebuild the injection pump around 420k and also replaced the fuel pump at the same time (most expensive repair done on it). Otherwise it was all regular maintenance, meaning it was a cost effective vehicle. So when looking for a new buggy I went for the samething but GM did not have a diesel van (coming out later in the year). I got a nice discount on my Sprinter so it actually cost under a 1000 more than a Ford van with the diesel (ford offered tiny movement on price). The Sprinter gets better mileage, carries more, handles a little more weight, has better seats and overall actually hasn't been a money pit. Yes some items are pricey on it but finding a decent mechanic (instead of dodge dealer) and finding aftermarket parts I can maintain it for about the same price or slightly more than a Ford or GM van. Things like oil filters are almost the exact same price as the GM and Ford ones.

I really like the idea of being able to go over 650 miles on a tank which was near impossible in the GM or a Ford. Yes I managed to squeeze that out of the GM only a couple of times but I had to work at it. In the Sprinter I don't but if I do I can manage just over 670 miles on a tank (remember it's smaller capacity than either the GM or Ford).

Each to their own. What do you feel comfortable with? That's what you buy and operate and live with the consequences, limitations of your choice. You make it work for you!
Rob

Brisco

Expert Expediter
Are you kiddin' me? Taking something out of context like that to make some convoluted point? Really? Sheesh. The spectacular feat isn't that the Sprinter hit 559K miles, which the article says in very plain English, and right after the line you quoted they go on to say what, exactly, the spectacular feat is. They say, very matter of factly, that the mileage alone is not, in fact, a spectacular feat. What's the matter with you? Do you hate Sprinters so much that you're willing to make crap up and purposely distort facts to bolster your own opinions?

To challenge a statement of mine, by twisting it into a blatant falsehood, is something I find particularly insulting.

"So, even those guys there on that site (overseas Mercedes fanatics) are truly truly amazed of the "spectular feat" that this Sprinter hit 559K miles."

That's a lie. The article says no such thing, not even close.

For the brain damaged among us, I quote the salient part of the article, in context, that you so badly wish to distort out of context:

"But the distance alone is not enough. To make headlines, your car (or van) has to be truly bad ***, or at least peform some additional type of spectacular feat. This Sprinter has done exactly that. Despite its immense travels, this Sprinter has not needed a single repair (aside from the usual wearing parts, of course). Not too shabby, if I do say so myself."

From the press release:
"And, apart from the usual wearing parts, the van has not needed a single repair. The newspaper courier relies on the Mercedes-Benz van for his work and this constant companion has never let him down yet. ... Since its market launch in 1995 well over a million models of the Mercedes-Benz Sprinter have been sold and it has enjoyed tremendous success – as numerous “Van of the Year” awards and a wealth of satisfied customers can testify."

Why you would take something so plainly stated, so unambiguous, and then distort it into a blatant misrepresentation of the truth, is beyond me. You contend that the article states the exact opposite of what it clearly states. Why would you do that? Is it because it better fits with your convoluted perceptions of reality? Do you not have the mental capacity to comprehend the article in its entirety? Do you have a general reading comprehension problem? Or is it that you merely have some warped anti-Sprinter agenda and you think the readers here on EO are so stupid as to not be insulted with your distorted propaganda, one that anyone, anyone, who reads the article at the link I posted can plainly see?

So, again, do some actual research with European articles and news reports, read about what this van does in Europe, and about how successful it is over there, and contrast it to here, and look at what might be the reason for the cavernous (perceived) disparity. I contend that if you think American, you're going to have problems with a European vehicle, but treat it like a European vehicle, think European, and you'll have European results. I've had an odd, nagging problem with belt tensioners, but other than that, the only maintenance and repair that I've had to deal with is routine maintenance and routine wear parts. I've owned a Ford and a Sprinter, and I've treated them differently from each other. Imagine that.

Leo: Yeah, cetane is different here and in Europe, and it may very well be a factor (I think it probably is), but it's not likely to be a factor for many of the "horror stories" that we hear about, like early transmission failures in particular. Nearly every "horror story" we hear about can be traced to what Greg talks about, either the owner or the mechanic mistreating the van by using fluids that aren't on The List or by some other improper maintenance or operating failure.

Low cetane can cause some specific problems, but the key is it will cause those problems if the low cetane is ignored by the owner. If the Sprinter is treated like a Ford, and the problem of low cetane not addressed, then it's going to manifest itself as a problem later on. If you deal with it (cetane boosters and injector cleaners on a regular basis), it's not a problem. Again, we're back to the problem of people buying "not a Ford", and then expecting to treat it like a Ford, and get mad when it doesn't perform like a Ford. If you want something that walks, talks and acts like a Ford, get a Ford. If you get a Sprinter, treat it like a Sprinter, not like a Ford. More importantly, quit complaining that it's not a Ford and that it doesn't act like a Ford. It should be plainly evident to all that a Sprinter and a Ford are, in fact, different vehicles.

Because a Ford will run fine with low cetane fuel, and a Sprinter won't, that doesn't mean a Sprinter is better or worse than a Ford, it merely means they are different. Some people think that because a Ford runs fine on low cetane fuel, then a Sprinter should, too. That's absurd. That's like buying a Corvette and then complaining because it requires high octane gasoline, when your soccer mommy van doesn't.

If you like Fords and don't like Sprinters, then ta-da don't get a Sprinter. If you want a Ford with extra room that you can stand up in, don't get a Sprinter and pretend it's a really big Ford. It's not, and it has to be treated as if it's not.

Nearly every out-of-the-ordinary problem with a Sprinter can be directly traced back to either operator error or improper maintenance or repair. Not all, but the vast majority of them can. For example, how many Sprinter owners pull up to a shipper or cons, put the vehicle in park, and then get loaded or unloaded, heavy skids. The torque those skids put on the transmission while in park is extremely high, and will contribute to te early demise of the transmission. It may or may not be a problem with a Ford, but it is with a Sprinter. A Ford transmission may very well be able to handle those additional stresses, but the Sprinter's NAG1 transmission cannot.

Stating that it should be able to handle it is irrelevant as to whether it can. Defiantly treating it as if it should, and then having the transmission fail, isn't a fault of the Sprinter, it's a fault of the owner. Period. This is but one example of owner failure that results in the Sprinter being called a POS because they have to pour thousands of dollars into it.

With a Ford, oftentimes with automotive freight you have to break down the top layer of the skid, load the skid into the van, then rebuild the top layer inside the van, then reverse the process on the other end. Does this make the Ford a POS? You bet it does, as breaking down, rebuilding and then reversing the process countless times over the course of a year results in thousands of wasted man-hours and dollars loading and unloading freight. That doesn't happen with a Sprinter. Oh, but, but, but, that's just something you have to do if you own a Ford. Yeah, well, there are some things you just have to do if you own a Sprinter, too, and some of them are different than you do with a Ford. If you have a Ford, you have to be mentally prepared for breaking down skids every now and then. If you have a Sprinter you have to be mentally prepared to deal with it's unique characteristics, as well. And they are different characteristics than as with a Ford. Shocking, I know, but it's true.

I say 20 words, and you give a freeekin state of the union speech. Sheeez, guess someone peed in your toasties this morning.

What I stated is in clear black and white on that page you linked to. Is this going be case of Slick Willies "define what the word "IS' is"??? Is that Sprinter shown "bad ***"?? Doesn't even fall anywhere near the category of bad ***. Was that writer impressed that it accomplished a "spectactular feat" of hitting 559K miles without a single repair done? Yes, he was, and it clearly shows in his article.

Like I said here before, this board has a few "senior members" that take pride in crapping on others "Opinions". As another senior member here said, we also have fun "amusing" ourselves belittling others that don't share our same view. You used the word "stupid" directly towards my opinion and me personally. Would you do the same if we standing face to face having the same discussion? I would hope not, for your sake.

It is a clear proven fact online that Sprinters are "High Dollar" maintenance vehicles no matter what industry they're being used in. Whether it be Expediting for you guys, plumber vehicles, local FedeX trucks, and so on. It is also a clear proven fact that there is not one Sprinter here in America that has reached the milestone this Sprinter in this article has reached without thousands and thousands of dollars spent on repairs getting it there, no matter how "well maintained" it was. I don't think there's a single Sprinter out there that's even gotten close yet, at least not here in America.

Do I "Hate" Sprinters that much? Never even crossed my mind. I am realist and not a fool with my money. There is no way in Hell I would invest $40-$50K in a vehicle when I could invest half that in a vehicle that also costs less to maintain, is safer on the road, and has proven itself by having said vehicles on the road today with twice as many "recorded" miles than people have seen on Sprinters.

I'll now leave this for you "Senior Members" to place this discussion back in the toilet where you wish it to be.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I don't think anyone ragged on you personally but more generally...You made a statement and didn't expect feedback?

But you are correct sprinters are more high maintainence,
But as far as thousands of thousands of dollars...even Fords and GM's require this after so many miles...just how many fuel pumps and rear ends go into a million mile GM? Quite a few I've heard.
Yes it takes a few more dollars of PM to avoid costly repairs...but to me personally it is worth it.
Will I buy a new one...Not in the plans...I'd rather drop a new engine in when the time comes...

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I say 20 words, and you give a freeekin state of the union speech. Sheeez, guess someone peed in your toasties this morning.
To know me is to love me.

What I stated is in clear black and white on that page you linked to. Is this going be case of Slick Willies "define what the word "IS' is"???
No, it's not. What you stated was not what was on that page, and you used a quote out of context to make a false statement.
Is that Sprinter shown "bad ***"?? Doesn't even fall anywhere near the category of bad ***. Was that writer impressed that it accomplished a "spectactular feat" of hitting 559K miles without a single repair done? Yes, he was, and it clearly shows in his article.
Since it clearly states that in the article, why would you write, "So, even those guys there on that site (overseas Mercedes fanatics) are truly truly amazed of the "spectular feat" that this Sprinter hit 559K miles."? It's out of context and is misleading.

Like I said here before, this board has a few "senior members" that take pride in crapping on others "Opinions". As another senior member here said, we also have fun "amusing" ourselves belittling others that don't share our same view.
The problem is, I ain't one of 'em. I welcome diversity of viewpoints. It's boring otherwise. What I take exception to is when someone is blatantly wrong about a verifiable fact, and then proceeds to hammer on the falsehood as if it were true.

You used the word "stupid" directly towards my opinion and me personally.
Actually, no I didn't. But I'm beginning to think I should have. I used the word "stupid" in relation to whether or not you thought the readers of EO were stupid enough to believe your twisted, out-of-context fiction. I think your opinion is ignorant, based on unfounded and misleading information that has not been properly researched, but not stupid. Now, if you choose to hold onto that partial and misleading information and take it as the truth, and refuse to do further research into the matter, well, yeah, stupid is as stupid does, and how you proceed personally will be your own defining moment.

Would you do the same if we standing face to face having the same discussion? I would hope not, for your sake.
I will never (nor have not) write something online that I would not say to someone's face. How maturely they react to that, online or face-to-face, is up to them.

It is a clear proven fact online that Sprinters are "High Dollar" maintenance vehicles no matter what industry they're being used in. Whether it be Expediting for you guys, plumber vehicles, local FedeX trucks, and so on.
Actually, it's not a clear proven fact at all. The only thing that's relatively proven is that the Sprinter maintenance is high-er dollar than that of a Ford cargo van (which shouldn't be a surprise since the two are very, very different types of vehicles). "High Dollar" is a very subjective term and is not provable. This is just another example of someone using their own personal opinion and trying to pass it off as fact. It's not a fact at all.

It is also a clear proven fact that there is not one Sprinter here in America that has reached the milestone this Sprinter in this article has reached without thousands and thousands of dollars spent on repairs getting it there, no matter how "well maintained" it was.
That's almost certainly true. Equally true is that there isn't likely a single Ford or Chevy van with that kind of mileage that didn't also have thousands and thousands of dollars spent on it along the way, you know, wear parts like bearings and front ends and fuel and water pumps. etc. Oil and filter changes are not the only costs involved in repair and maintenance.

I don't think there's a single Sprinter out there that's even gotten close yet, at least not here in America.
A clear proven fact? Really? Call Troy at Troy's Auto Repair in Paducah, KY and ask him about the Sprinter van from Louisville that is used in delivering the Louisville Courier Journal newspaper to various parts of Western Kentucky. It's got more than 850,000 miles on it last time I talked with him. He does regular maintenance on that vehicle, as well as the routine maintenance on the UPS and FedEx fleet out of Paducah. What he will tell you will shatter your tightly held beliefs. I also know a fleet owner in Paris, TN who has nine Sprinters of varying age, and except for one vehicle that he's had nothing but problems with from Day One, his fleet has performed much more like the ones we read about in Europe, flawlessly and with minimal downtimes for repairs and maintenance. Two of his vehicles have over 700,000, three are well over 500,000, the rest are too new for that kind of mileage. At one time he had eight Fords, but over the years has replaced all but one with a Sprinter. He's a very smart and deliberate man, one who does not make rash decisions. He didn't choose lightly to gradually replace his Fords with Sprinters.

Do I "Hate" Sprinters that much? Never even crossed my mind. I am realist and not a fool with my money. There is no way in Hell I would invest $40-$50K in a vehicle when I could invest half that in a vehicle that also costs less to maintain, is safer on the road, and has proven itself by having said vehicles on the road today with twice as many "recorded" miles than people have seen on Sprinters.
It isn't up for debate as to whether or not a Ford is cheaper to buy and maintain than a Sprinter. It is. But there are the obvious and not-so obvious trade-offs to each vehicle. If you are looking solely at pure costs to maintain, then a Sprinter shouldn't even be a consideration. But there are other benefits, that you must pay for, to owning a Sprinter. If you don't want or need those benefits, or are unwilling to pay for them, then you shouldn't get a Sprinter. As for safer on the road, that's debatable. I've had both a Ford and a Sprinter and each is safer than the other in different areas. On very slippery roads, especially in snow, I'll take the Sprinter, as fishtailing is almost non-existent with a Sprinter. In high gusty winds the Sprinter performs very badly, but the Ford isn't markedly better, just different, neither is great. In an accident, I'll take the Ford over the fragile, tin can body of a Sprinter, that's for sure.

I'll now leave this for you "Senior Members" to place this discussion back in the toilet where you wish it to be.
When someone comes on here and posts crap, particularly if they do so in an authoritative manner, trying to force their own subjective opinions onto others as absolutes, and are then shocked and offended when others dare to question their authoritative crap, then the toilet is precisely the place for it. Enjoy the ride. Hey, think of it as an online Schlitterbahn.

comet_4298

Seasoned Expediter
I currently have a Sprinter. My last van was a GM 3500 ext with a diesel. It had 500k when I got rid of it. Original transmission, original tie rods, power steering pump. Had to rebuild the injection pump around 420k and also replaced the fuel pump at the same time (most expensive repair done on it). Otherwise it was all regular maintenance, meaning it was a cost effective vehicle. So when looking for a new buggy I went for the samething but GM did not have a diesel van (coming out later in the year). I got a nice discount on my Sprinter so it actually cost under a 1000 more than a Ford van with the diesel (ford offered tiny movement on price). The Sprinter gets better mileage, carries more, handles a little more weight, has better seats and overall actually hasn't been a money pit. Yes some items are pricey on it but finding a decent mechanic (instead of dodge dealer) and finding aftermarket parts I can maintain it for about the same price or slightly more than a Ford or GM van. Things like oil filters are almost the exact same price as the GM and Ford ones.

I really like the idea of being able to go over 650 miles on a tank which was near impossible in the GM or a Ford. Yes I managed to squeeze that out of the GM only a couple of times but I had to work at it. In the Sprinter I don't but if I do I can manage just over 670 miles on a tank (remember it's smaller capacity than either the GM or Ford).

Each to their own. What do you feel comfortable with? That's what you buy and operate and live with the consequences, limitations of your choice. You make it work for you!
Rob

I got a 07' and I'll be lucky if I can get 400 miles a tank.........usually about 360 to 370 miles the warning low fuel comes on.

I only average between 17 to 19 mpg and was told before I bought one that everybody was seeing between 23 to 27...........Guess they figure different then I do.

aileron

Expert Expediter
Money pit? Let's look at some real numbers here.

I have 312000 on it right now. Average fuel mileage for the life of my sprinter (gallons purchased divided by miles driven - including fuel used by my espar sprinter) is 26.5 miles to a gallon. So, let's say that I get only 26 mpg, in 312000 I used 12000 gallons of diesel. All ford diesel owners I talked to said they get 18 or 19 mpg. Let's consider they get 20 mpg. So, a ford would have used 15600 gallons of diesel, 3600 gallons more.
So if we consider a gallon of diesel to cost only $2.50 (btw I bought fuel close to 5 at some time) I saved $9000 in 4.5 years.

The only thing that I changed other than what I consider regular maintenance was the EGR valve ($350). Other maintenance: water pump $150, oil changes every 12-15k, transmission service and fuel filter and air filter and rear end oil every 60k. I am on the second set of tires, first one lasted 165k if I remember correctly. Original brakes still.

I bought my 2004 as a leftover in 2005, so I got it for $29500. I don't know how much a new ford or chevy with a diesel engine was, cause I never looked at them, but I suspect that it wouldn't have been much difference.

So, I am wayyyy ahead with the money I saved on fuel so far.

Am I a lucky sprinter owner? I don't know, but I don't think so, I just take care of my equipment. I love my sprinter. Now, if FedEx would run me harder to get to 1,000,000 miles.

Brisco

Expert Expediter
eMercedesBenz - The Unofficial Mercedes-Benz Weblog

Mercedes Sprinter Travels A Mere 559,234 Miles

Good morning ladies and gents. Today, Mercedes has put out a press release showcasing the sticker-laden Sprinter you see pictured above

This Sprinter was chosen by "Mercedes" itself for a "Press Release".

Why was this one Sprinter chosen for the "Press Release"?

Answer here:
What makes this Sprinter special, however, is not the plethora of stickers you see plastered on the side of the van; instead, what makes this fugly Sprinter unique is where it's been - 900,000 kilometers (559,234 miles), to be precise. To put it in perspective, that's equivalent to circling the globe 22 times.

But the distance alone is not enough. To make headlines, your car (or van) has to be truly bad ***, or at least peform some additional type of spectacular feat. This Sprinter has done exactly that. Despite its immense travels, this Sprinter has not needed a single repair (aside from the usual wearing parts, of course). Not too shabby, if I do say so myself.

"Spectacular"
–adjective 1. of or like a spectacle; marked by or given to an impressive, large-scale display.
2. dramatically daring or thrilling:

Synonyms:
2. hair-raising, dramatic, breathtaking.

"Feat"
noun 1. a noteworthy or extraordinary act or achievement, usually displaying boldness, skill,

Synonyms:
1. accomplishment.

Don't blame your lack of understanding what words "mean" in articles you read on me, OK. That story clearly says, "My God, this Sprinter has hit 559K miles with very little maintenance!!!" It has impressed the author, probably a Mercedes nutt, so he expressed his views on it.

If you go over the story carefully, look up words you don't understand (which there may be many), and read the story as it written, then you will also come to the conclusion that this author said "HEY!!!! HERE'S A SPRINTER THAT HAS ACTUALLY HIT 559k MILES!!"

That's what it says, that what I said, and I apologize if it was over your head.

I'll be expecting that apology anytime now. If not, that's cool. I know quite a few people that live life day to day who get their pannies wadded up easily over stuff they don't understand either. So we're cool.

Jack_Berry

Moderator Emeritus
I bought my 2004 as a leftover in 2005, so I got it for $29500. I don't know how much a new ford or chevy with a diesel engine was, cause I never looked at them, but I suspect that it wouldn't have been much difference.

i have the sticker for the '05 van i have. it is pretty stripped but it was 25,565$. cloth seats and cruise are the options. diesel engine what 7 grand? so call it 32.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Why would I need to come to some conclusion that is actually different from what the author himself stated quite clearly? There's no reason to do so, unless I needed to do it to make some point that's not even present in the article to begin with. This isn't a question of understanding the definition of words big and small, it's a question of basic reading comprehension and understanding the parts of a sentence, paragraph and how an article is constructed.

The article consists of a single idea, which is explained in sentences which comprise the idea. The idea is simply that that van has a large number of miles on it without it also having a lot of repairs or maintenance. The construct of the article states a premise, or the foundation of the story: the mileage equivalent of 22 times around the globe (something that few people achieve with their personal vehicles, and puts it into a rather unique perspective), and then qualifies the premise by stating that the mileage alone isn't what makes it remarkable, and continues upon the foundation that the remarkable part is the fact that no extraneous maintenance had to be performed.

When you break the story up and take sentences out of context, and the draw singular conclusions based upon those sentences alone, you change the author's intent of writing them in the first place. When you state, "That's what it says, that what I said, and I apologize if it was over your head," not only is that not what it says, but is rather your interpretation of it, based upon assumption and conjecture, but you're also wrong in insinuating that it was over my head. You have on at least 4 occasions in this thread tried unsuccessfully to insult my intelligence (and once a pretty lame, laughable, thinly veiled threat), and did so on using assumption and conjecture.

The part you bolded and underlined, in an attempt to make it the salient part of the article, fails miserably in basic reading comprehension. The definition of "reading comprehension" as the capacity of the mind to perceive and understand the meanings communicated by texts, and is dependent on accurate reading ability, reasoning skills, attention and memory retention. This is unambiguous: "But the distance alone is not enough. To make headlines..." It implies, without question, that the high mileage of the vehicle in question is not enough to make headlines. Conversational implicature also implicitly infers that there are other vehicles of equal or greater mileage, but they failed to make headlines (To make headlines...) because there was no other feat of particular import that made it newsworthy. And it goes on to state quite clearly which feat caused this particular one to be worthy of headlines. So, again when you state, "That's what it says, that what I said, and I apologize if it was over your head," it's not even remotely a matter of being over my head, it's a matter of being fundamentally incorrect from a basic reading comprehension standpoint. While your conclusion doesn't necessarily indicate a lack of memory retention, it does fail on the other parts of the definition of reading comprehension, namely a failure of accurate reading ability, a complete lack of critical thinking which results in an incorrect conclusion in the face of the printed words in front of you, which is a failure of reasoning skills, and a lack of attention in being easily distracted by your own prejudices and preconceived notions of Sprinter experiences in Europe.

In another example of assumption and pure conjecture, you ask the question, "Why was this one Sprinter chosen for the "Press Release?" and then use the article to answer your own question, again without regard to the actual reason. A little cursory research into Mercedes marketing press releases would have given you the real answer, no need to make one up. Mercedes continues to release these types of showcase press releases to this day. They're obviously biased on the part of Mercedes, but taken as but one small part of the larger wealth of information of Sprinter operation in Europe, it can help with a better understanding of the difference between Europe and North American experiences and attitudes towards the operation and maintenance of the vehicle. That's the entire reason for my posting the links in the first place. I'm surprised someone with your superior intellect missed that simple point, and instead chose to skew parts of the article in a distortion to support your own, clearly misinformed, opinion.

You may be expecting an apology any time now, but you'll not likely get it. I see no reason to apologize for not clouding or misrepresenting the truth. My original entry into this thread stands as-is, where I posted a link to one overview of the Sprinter that shows that there are, in fact, a lot of positives about the vehicle as it is used and maintained in Europe, and a link to the article that you couldn't quite comprehend, where I stated that it was one that showcases a 559,000 Sprinter due to its low maintenance and repair costs. The intent of the links was to illustrate the difference between here and in Europe, to prompt others to ponder why it is there is such a disparity, real or imagined, and when taken as a whole the intent should be inferred precisely as it was implied. I'm truly sorry if the intent was either over your head, or somehow didn't match up with your preconceived notions of how the Sprinter is regarded in Europe. But there was no reason that I can think of for you to twist the meaning of the article to mean something it doesn't, and then use that to try and refute the fact that Europeans and Americans have, at least by perception, very different experiences with the Sprinter.

The problem stems from your incomplete knowledge of the true costs of operating a Sprinter, and how the high costs of maintaining one is usually directly traceable to being the fault of the owner, not the vehicle itself. For example, your "clear and proven fact" are easily refuted by specific, verifiable examples, some of them are people right here on EO. Yet you choose to dismiss the verifiable facts in favor of the sensational hyperbole, if not in favor of outright misrepresentations of fact. Talk about wadded up panties.

If you don't want a Sprinter, don't buy one. But I cannot fathom why you would want to disparage the Sprinter with falsehoods and misleading information. Does it make you feel better somehow to vilify the Sprinter, as if to somehow validate your decision not to buy one? The Sprinter is not the perfect vehicle and it has its faults, faults that I and other satisfied Sprinter owners have not at all been reluctant to point out. The Sprinter has some large minuses and some large pluses. So does the Ford. I have no problem expounding on the pluses and minuses of either. I've owned both.

jj214

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Currently on my 5th van, one Dodge, one Chevy, two Ford Diesels (7.3) one Ford Gas (current vehicle) - previous vehicles all went 450000+ and sold to carpet installers. Several still running around town. I would go back to the one Ton Dodge in a heartbeat. The 318 gave 20mph and was like driving a automobile, not a van. No secret, easy on the throttle when starting out, especially under a heavy load. Maintain enough room in front of you so you don't have to hit the brakes frequently. Keep under 65 mph, find a competent mechanic and never let a "funny" noise go unchecked.

steven3b

Seasoned Expediter
the best way to get the most mileage out of you vehicle depends on who built the vehicle the one who works on the vehicle and the person driving the vehicle did all 3 care during there time with the vehicle because any brand under the right cituation will last for ever until the rust faire comes along

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
It is also a clear proven fact that there is not one Sprinter here in America that has reached the milestone this Sprinter in this article has reached without thousands and thousands of dollars spent on repairs getting it there, no matter how "well maintained" it was. I don't think there's a single Sprinter out there that's even gotten close yet, at least not here in America.
Ahhh .... I beg to differ .... from what I understand (from the individual mentioned later, who is responsible for maintaining them) there is a small fleet (at least 10+ vehicles, maybe over 20) over around Pittsburgh, PA with between 400K to 600K miles on multiple vehicles (this was over a year ago) As I understood it, at least some of these have only had what could be described as normal maintenance.

The fleet mechanic for these vehicles is Andy Bittenbinder (VW and Porsche trained) ..... given his last name (which is, ah .... German) and his training/experience, it may lend some credibility to the thesis that Europeans see and handle things a little differently than many Americans might. :rolleyes:

2czykats

Seasoned Expediter
The only similarity between a Sprinter and a Ford is that they are both less-than 10,001 pound vehicles. Other than that, they are very different vehicles, and should be treated differently. By and large, the people who have put in inordinate amount of money into their Sprinters are those who treat their Sprinter like it was a Ford, and think their Sprinter should perform and be maintained like a Ford.

If all you're looking for is strictly miles and dollars spent, then the Ford is cheaper to own and maintain. Well, duh. But if you want a vehicle that is more comfortable and more versatile, then the Ford isn't even a consideration. Now you're comparing Sprinters to straight trucks, of which a Sprinter is cheaper to own and maintain.

Apples to apples, oranges to oranges, please. There's a reason for the four categories of vans, Sprinters, straight trucks and big trucks - it's because they are all different from each other.

There are countless high mileage Sprinters all over Europe, and the Sprinter is known over there as an ultra-reliable workhorse. There is no difference between the European Sprinter and the American Sprinter, except that Europeans maintain their Sprinters with the mindset of a European, and Americans maintain theirs with the mindset of an American. The problem is, it's a European vehicle.

Here's an overview, from Europe, of the vehicle that indicates something's very right with the Sprinter:
MERCEDES SPRINTER CDI VAN RANGE : SPIRITO DE SPRINTER

And here's an article that showcases a 559,000 mile Sprinter:
eMercedesBenz - The Unofficial Mercedes-Benz Weblog

These are just two of thousands of articles about the Sprinter in Europe, where it's a resounding success at being a reliable workhorse. The Sprinter in North America is the same Sprinter they have in Europe. So if that's true, and it is, one has to question why they aren't having the same problems in Europe as we apparently do here. Because the big variable in this isn't the Sprinter, it's the Sprinter owner, and how they treat and maintain the vehicle. There ya go.

I have owned 3 Sprinters so know alittle about them. In a word they are moneypits. I treated mine with kid gloves and always had them taken into shop for whatever was wrong and did all preventive maint. as possible. Still had non stop problems. Replaced with Ford and Diesal Chevy.

Cousin of mine switched to all Sprinters with his Fed X ground buisness and hated them and has now just gotten rid of last Sprinter and gone back to Chevy diesals.

I was also thinking since Sprinters are dismantled and shipped to U.S.A. and reasembled maybe they are not put back together as good and have bolts and nuts not torgued same as factory and that might be why some have problems.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
There again it begs the question of why yours were money pits, yet in Europe the Sprinter is not known as a money pit at all. Just the opposite, in fact. For that matter, mine isn't a money pit, and I know too many other Sprinter owners here who also have non-money pit Sprinters. You say you treated yours with kid gloves, but maybe instead of treating them with kid gloves you should have simply treated them as if they were European vehicles. You pretty much have to throw out everything that you would normally do as far as maintenance is concerned, and in how to treat the vehicle, when it comes to a Sprinter, and then learn it all again from scratch. Even some of the most innocuous things that you would normally, do, things that make otherwise perfect sense, don't work with a Sprinter, and can cause seemingly totally unrelated problems.

My Sprinter tech once commented that nearly everything about the Sprinter is backаsswards, nothing makes sense, but once you get into it, see what al is going on, see how systems that are usually separate and unrelated to each other, are highly integrated and related to each other on the Sprinter, you can see how it all makes sense. The key isn't just to take it to the shop whenever something is wrong, the key is to take it to a shop that has someone highly trained and attenuated to the particulars of a Sprinter. Many Sprinter dealers don't have that, sadly. Mercedes dealers have that, and hopefully now that the Sprinter has been moved to Mercedes dealerships they will be worked on more often by mechanics proficient in Mercedes parts and engines.

BTW, Sprinters aren't built in Germany, then dismantled and shipped as parts to the US, and then reassembled. The first of the 03 models were (about 10,000 of them IIRC), but they haven't done that since then. Beginning with the MY04 the parts are shipped here to the assembly plant, same as any other automotive assembly plant in the US, and are fully assembled for the first time at the factory here.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
The key isn't just to take it to the shop whenever something is wrong, the key is to take it to a shop that has someone highly trained and attenuated to the particulars of a Sprinter. Many Sprinter dealers don't have that, sadly. Mercedes dealers have that, and hopefully now that the Sprinter has been moved to Mercedes dealerships they will be worked on more often by mechanics proficient in Mercedes parts and engines.

This is my point, the mechanic a Dodge dealers for the most part are parts changers not real troubleshooting people. They have been conditioned to look at problems and solve them by replacing parts.

When you go for the MB training, you are expected to learn not to augment your ability to take something apart and put a new part on, then reassemble it. I had my MB training before my GM training and it was like college and kindergarten - literally.

Dodge's service group never pushed for proper servicing of the vehicle, like the crossfire, it was an afterthought to have a specialist on staff and that seemed to be determined by volume of sales, nothing else.