Sprinter conversions

Slo-Ride

Veteran Expediter
You guys are getting really picky here:D
Since I have no freight in the truck and im getting a bit bored Ill look around and see if I can find it,and fix what I may have posted wrong.
There is another man here that read the article and knows of the magazine in which I stole it from,if he reads this maybe he can point me back to it because I know I dont have the e-mail anymore. Now if I get freight you all going to have to wait a bit longer.

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
Yes, it could be said you are 25% less likely to be killed in Iraq or 33% more likely to be killed in D.C. and either would be correct. It's the difference between going up or down with the difference.
Exactly - your wording was alot clearer than mine ;)

Slo-Ride

Veteran Expediter
Veritas® Transfer/Log Scribe - Lee Valley Tools

Here is a ready made tool with photos that describe the contour tracing idea Turtle talked about. The tool is easy enough to make once you understand how it works. It works good for any kind of contour transferring like cutting tile or carpet around obstacles...

Profile Gauges, Profile Gauge, profile master, profile gouge, Transfer/Log Scribe, Bar Gauge Heads, transfer pattern, transfer profiles, profile master, profilmaster

another helpful image in the link.

eb

When I get back on that project Ill try the scribe,,pretty sure I still have a cheap one buryed in the house somewhere.
I use to have the needle stlye for cutting tile but that got ruined by tossing tools on it in the tool box.
Thanks.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
The small profile needle contour scribe you can get at Lowes. It's far too small for use on a project like Sprinter shelves, tho. I've used that for cutting both carpet and Linoleum.

When I was just about finishing up on the 3rd or 4th vertical support, the log scribe (the geometry compass) dawned on me, and I wanted to kick myself because I've used one in the past several times, and it's stupid quick and easy to use, just making making a copy of a key. I still keep kicking myself over that one. I mean, I've never been a cabinet maker, but I've make a lot of cabinets and the like, woodworking has always been sort of a hobby, and a scribe tool is standard equipment for most carpenters, just like a carpenter's square. Can't believe I missed that one, and at the very time I could have used it the most.

The Veritas tool is expensive, $100 or more, but for the purposes of a vertical shelf support in a Sprinter you can easily fashion one out of two sticks and a bolt and wingnut for the pivot point. Then tape or clamp a pencil to one end. A bubble on there would be nice, but it really and truly doesn't need that kind of precision in this application. All you need to do is get it close. And if you mess up, there's always Bondo.

You could also get a Heavy Duty Pencil Compass 12" or an AccuScribe for cheap at most woodworking supply shops.

As long as the bottom of the plank you'll use for the support is right-angle flat, which it will be, you don't have to worry about plumb lines and parking the van flat. All you need is someone to hold the plank steady while you scribe it. It'll take far longer to fashion up the scribe itself than it will to scribe six support posts. I just didn't have anybody to hold the support steady for scribing.

WestSide

Seasoned Expediter
...some of us have to be able to fit 4 full size pallets in our Sprinters. Does anybody have good ideas for that?...build some sort of fold up bed from the dash to the back over the missing seat.

Here's a solution from Sportsmobile to maximize rear cargo space:

sr_cab_bed.jpg

chetjester

Veteran Expediter
Driver
That's an interesting picture. I've tried laying across my seats using my cooler as support between the seats. But, it was terribly uncomfortable.

I checked the website but couldn't find that picture. But, it shows there is a facility in Austin. I live in Arlington, TX and could easily drive down there during my Christmas holiday.

I wouldn't want to sleep that way on a daily basis. I like being able to jump up front and exit through the door or just sit there to meditate.

Thanks for the idea.

indianajewel

Seasoned Expediter
Talked to Jack, who is most helpful and knowledgeable. He says Midway can get you set up for $10k and 600lb. That keeps you within load limits on a Sprinter so that one could still accommodate two pallets and 2000#, even in the current heavier vehicles. :)

I'd love to hear from others who have upfitted with the Midway conversion.

After visiting your forum because of being interested in expediting and speaking to several Mercedes-Benz & Freightliner dealers, they brought up a good point that any upfitting should be done by an OEM approved upfitter (Midway is the only Sprinter upfitter they were aware of) and that having work done by a non-approved upfitter can jeopardize the warranty of the vehicle. Midway has been building on Sprinters since 2002 and have locations in Elkhart, IN and Ladson, SC that build Sprinters, but what about the other guys?

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
at the Expo this year Midway and a competitor were placed side by side.....banged on the partition wall...it echoed and was not solid....the "other" sounded solid and corners met together well and well just seemed better..
heard some cheap talk about Midway and comparisons with Alumi-Junk...faulty wiring, nuts and bolts coming loose....buyer beware...you get what you pay for and then again you get "less"..do your homework, research...

don't be so concerned about warranty....after the first year you'll have the 100k in and factory will expire..unless you were crazy enough to pay for the extended plan...

BillChaffey

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Navy
In the later years of my life I have become "Thrifty". $10,000.00 for a bunk, and maybe a ice box is a bit excessive for my tastes.;)

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
If someone knows their way around power tools, $10,000 would go a long, long way!

Other then the glitz and panash...just price out the material and all...you can quickly see 10K is off the wall...just for some particle board and a few screws and plastic trim...