Sprinter conversions

Seasoned Expediter
Does anyone have a website to see what is available to convert sleeper on sprinter. Looking for pictures or configurations set-up thanks

DBBOLT

Seasoned Expediter
You can contact Don Bentz at Bolt Custom Trucks & Mfg. The number is 260-387-5779. We do sprinter van conversions for Stoops Specialty Trucks. Give me a call if you have any questions.

Have a great day

Donald Bentz
260-387-5779
Bolt Custom Trucks & Mfg LLC
4532 Allen Martin Drive
Fort Wayne IN 46806

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

I just met a person with a conversion by this company. They were not real happy with the final results. They went with them because the price was about 1500 cheaper than I think it was Midway which they had in their previous sprinter, not 100% sure on that but it was an Elkhart IN company. The end result was not a lot of storage and they said the road noise was very loud. The conversion used some type of rubberized material on the walls etc and did not stop as much road noise like the previous factory conversion they had. They said also it was much harder to get to the nder bed storage as compared to their previous setup.

WestSide

Seasoned Expediter

chetjester

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Don't they look nice? Comfort on the road. But, some of us have to be able to fit 4 full size pallets in our Sprinters. Does anybody have good ideas for that?

I use a cot that folds up nice and fits on the side of the pallets. I have an Espar Heater that is out of the way of the freight and protected from it. I have a TruckFridge portable fridge that fits between my seats when the back is full.

During my Christmas vacation, I plan to remove my passenger seat, install a couple of Aux batteries under it and build some sort of fold up bed from the dash to the back over the missing seat.

So, I may not have luxury, but I'm comfortable and can carry small straight truck loads.

Go me!

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
You can contact Don Bentz at Bolt Custom Trucks & Mfg. The number is 260-387-5779. We do sprinter van conversions for Stoops Specialty Trucks. Give me a call if you have any questions.

Have a great day

Donald Bentz
260-387-5779
Bolt Custom Trucks & Mfg LLC
4532 Allen Martin Drive
Fort Wayne IN 46806

I heard Bentz is into LIGHT weight conversions for Sprinters..a reaction to our need to carry more weight...:) Good deal..

AutonomyRex

Seasoned Expediter
Talked to Jack, who is most helpful and knowledgeable. He says Midway can get you set up for $10k and 600lb. That keeps you within load limits on a Sprinter so that one could still accommodate two pallets and 2000#, even in the current heavier vehicles. :)

I'd love to hear from others who have upfitted with the Midway conversion.

Wow, 10k on a sleeper just to carry 2000# or 2 skids. Why such a big sleeper needed in a smaller truck. Plus the cost of the Sprinter...it states btw 45-49k new.
For that money you can be in a sweet Class 8 D unit, or a very nice Tractor.
Seems to me those sleepers in a sprinter are built for waiting and sitting around.

A-Rex

WestSide

Seasoned Expediter
...and build some sort of fold up bed from the dash to the back over the missing seat.

Somewhere I saw a conversion that included a bed that stretched across the two seats. I'll keep an eye out for that.

I've also seen two by fours inserted across the van width, presumably to support your third and fourth pallets. From the threads, though, I can't see much requirement for three, much less four pallets, unless you are doubling up on your runs.

Yes, the Midway looks very suitable. And safe. I'm inclined to sacrifice ccc and go with their protective bulkhead rather than the minimalist plywood variations out there.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
As much as these conversions look sweet besides the 10K...they do not make you any money and probably lost loads that = lost revenue...hard to justify the investment over a 4-5 yr term..

If you strap your load down proper and heavy bulkhead is unnecessary....

Keep the focus...it is a WORK truck...while comfort is a consideration....your focus should be...Make Money...

Last edited:

Slo-Ride

Veteran Expediter
I think Turtle Bilt sleepers are the best I have seen for Sprinters. :D

Me to at least his shelfs are ,,I dont remember seeing the bed.
I wanna look at the shelf he built again. (and maybe copy it)
Can someone point me to the picture. Ive tried finding and searching but there is to much on that guy here. It would take weeks to look at all the search results. Im thinking i may have seen it possible in a photo album???
Shelf was full length and full height I believe and running down the left side of the truck. Picture looked like it may have still been work in progress??

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Can someone point me to the picture. Ive tried finding and searching but there is to much on that guy here. It would take weeks to look at all the search results. Im thinking i may have seen it possible in a photo album???
Shelf was full length and full height I believe and running down the left side of the truck. Picture looked like it may have still been work in progress??

No 2 pieces were the same, every piece measured and cut to fit....a masterpiece!

WestSide

Seasoned Expediter
Wow, 10k on a sleeper just to carry 2000# or 2 skids. Why such a big sleeper needed in a smaller truck. Plus the cost of the Sprinter...it states btw 45-49k new.
For that money you can be in a sweet Class 8 D unit, or a very nice Tractor.
Seems to me those sleepers in a sprinter are built for waiting and sitting around.

A-Rex

How we value money is subjective, right? I'm looking for a lifestyle change. If only interested in making money, I'd keep my day job. Adding the sleeping and living portion for 25% of the cost of the vehicle, with minimal impact to income potential, seems perfectly in line.

The local MB dealer is discounting 2010s. Extended models roll off the lot under $45k. Also looking at 2005/6 models at half that cost.

AutonomyRex

Seasoned Expediter

Slo-Ride

Here is the Link of the pics...hope it helps,, page 2

http://www.expeditersonline.com/forum/truck-talk/40917-your-sprinter-sleeper-2.html

AutonomyRex

Seasoned Expediter
How we value money is subjective, right? I'm looking for a lifestyle change. If only interested in making money, I'd keep my day job. Adding the sleeping and living portion for 25% of the cost of the vehicle, with minimal impact to income potential, seems perfectly in line.

The local MB dealer is discounting 2010s. Extended models roll off the lot under $45k. Also looking at 2005/6 models at half that cost.

Can't argue with you there. Just a heads up , ya might get a bigger "lifestyle" change than you wanted if the truck can't pay her way. I'm sure the bank values money differently than you or I as well.

Good Luck
Run Safe
A-Rex

Slo-Ride

Veteran Expediter
And safe. I'm inclined to sacrifice ccc and go with their protective bulkhead rather than the minimalist plywood variations out there.

Heres the way I added to the bulk head protection. With secured freight I think this works.Nothing new I'm sure but I think if anything gets thu this it wont matter anyways at that point. Just a few 2x4s and good fastners.
Its not 10k looking but no truck is worth that to me just yet.
Custom is allways nice I agree with,but in this economy right now homemade works for me.

2006 Van 3500 Ext Cargo 022.jpg

Thanks for the link Rex. Saved me alot of looking.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator

Well there is two different approaches for some to consider..

1. Lifestyle first then income...build your van to your lifestyle..

2. Where I built mine as maximum income potential and built my van to that plan....

When I want lifestyle...I go home...

neither approach is wrong....just different....

Good luck....hope you find the balance that works for ya...:)

WestSide

Seasoned Expediter
Keep the focus...it is a WORK truck...while comfort is a consideration....your focus should be...Make Money...

Well, for me it is a LIFESTYLE truck. I'm not looking to drive for THE MAN any more, and I expect some long waits working the WestSide of this great land.