Spec'ing the Expedite Truck

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
LDB and BROOMPILOT touched on the problems they have had in putting together a straight truck for use in expediting. DAVEKC often discusses the pro's and con's of spec'ing reefer box additions. ATEAM has posted many comments regarding his truck spec'ing adventures. And, EO workshop speakers have enlightened many attendees about the importance of properly building an expedite truck with a dealer experienced in the needs and desires of the Owner/Operator and the compatability of those needs and desires with the O/O's chosen Carrier.

This is the forum for truck spec'ing so, for the benefit of those new folks considering the purchase of a new truck, how 'bout you veterans volunteering some of your do's and don't's, and anticdotes about truck building. This is also a good time for you guests, that have been lurking hereabouts, to login and ask those questions you need answered.

Terry

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I am working on something more in depth than a post so I'm going to hold off for a bit in hopes of getting that done. If that falls through I'll post some of the fun here.

Leo Bricker
OOIDA 677319
truck 4958
73's K5LDB
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Very interestering topic.What some owners want and desire others don't. My trucks have all come off a lot pre set up by the Dealer and while there are some drawbacks I have been pleased as since the Dealer did the setup and any modifications ,it is his dime that goes to repair anything that fails plus the manufacture of the vehicle cannot void the warranty as an Authorized Dealer did the modifications.

I remember A Team posting that he was able to generate a meeting with various represenatives to put together a package. This might be a very good way to make sure everyone is on the same page. However I have not heard from anyone as too the results of this truck build so I am just curious as too how it turned out.Perhaps A Team could enlighten us as to the results.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
So many places to address. As mentioned, one without specific experience and knowledge in truck building, needs to buy a speced truck. They are designed and built for the right application. Many are computer and water tested (weight ratio) prior to any kind of build. Many spend big money just in the testing phase of the endeavor prior to a truck build.

Some of the areas that can turn ugly are as follows;

overlength
wheelbase dimensions are either too long are too short
Fails other DOT certification requirements
wrong drivetrain and driveline
incorrect framing and support
added components are too heavy for application
electrical issues
Power units are not straight truck designed. Many require major modification because of weight. That could include relocating fuel tanks to a host of other items.
Tag or pusher incorrectly installed.

There are many others, but those listed above are some of the common ones.
As mentioned,
Ateam did post he had a few issues with his year and a half truck build, so maybe he could share his experiences for the benefit of the new folks.

Some might argue that experience isn't relavant with regards to truck building, but I have seldom seen this go smoothly with the novice. Even more so if it is a unconventional configuration.

Davekc
owner
21 years

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
when spec'ing a class 8 truck one that was a tractor and now making it a straigh truck make sure the person who is doing know's what he is doing as it alot of work and if not done right will cause all kinds of problem

also when spec'ing out a truck, read all mag's and check on prices
and than pick out items you want on it than go to dealer and say here is what i want and how much will that cost
they will tell you and for this much we will doit

than when you see the price and say that is alittle more than i wanted than you have to go back and see what you can cut and still have your dream truck

it takes time and more time to get the truck you

most important thing to do is go to the truck show and look at all the equipment and decide what do i need and what i want
and what can i afford\

so go to mid am or eo and see big show

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
George is correct,make sure you find someone who knows what they are doing and can give references. It's your money that is going into the truck and a poorly speced truck can haunt you for many years.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Kinda like a sports team. In many instances you may get several people that are good, but having them work together in unison can be much different. This is where the value of experience comes in.
One must be able to determine outcomes, prior to there implementation. Failure in that regard usually results in "high level engineers" pointing fingers at each other when things turn ugly.

Davekc
owner
21 years

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Davekc, are you suggesting that I could end up with T.O. in my truck telling me how pathetic I am and how great he is? And then, making a lame apology because his agent said he should? That would NOT be cool!!

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
Speaking of T.O., some idiots are speculating on him going to Seattle. HAHAHA I don't think so!

How would you like Howard Stern and Jerry Springer to design your truck? Would it be a T-300 with pasties on its grill?

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
How would you like Howard Stern and Jerry Springer to design your truck? Would it be a T-300 with pasties on its grill?

Certainly a option that we haven't considered.:7

Davekc

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
What if Andy Warhol and Peter Max designed it? You would be driving a Campbells soup can with a rainbow and stars for a box. Whoa!! Everybody run! Her come the topic cops!

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter
So who is T.O.????

I may not make friends by my comments here.

You can easily overpay for a vehicle in this industry. Basic facts if your gona have a payment even on a good used vehicle this business is at best probably only 50% profitable. Make sure you keep that in mind with a reasonble payment to remain profitable.

Yeah I know some of you want to and can pay cash that does not make you any more profitable its still $ that at some point and time had to be earned.

A big class 8 is over kill we are rush frieght, usually light frieght to make yourself (more available) for oh lets say the cost of a liftgate or more axles just does not pay off. Read the old posts on here get the picture between 2K and 3K a week seems to be what I read on here. Some weeks are great maybee a 4 to 5K week but only to be followed up with a string of 2K weeks. By the #s I am seeing after one year in this business I see that if I would have spent more than I did, I could be in financial trouble..... Thats just my expierence we all have different roads to take.

Let a good expierenced sales person who is refered thru one of the members on this site steer you right. My salesman has years of expierence knew this industry very well and knew his product. I listened to his advice and my budget I set up with him and those of you who have seen my truck know what I have.

Its just one darn good truck set up for what I do I deliver light loads on time. Because they are light this truck should have a 10 year life no wear and tear on the engine and its all highway miles. Keep it maintained, and clean.

Now you can go to little and be dissipointed later and only have to spend more $ to trade up, or you can go deep in debt. You must balance that mix. One big mistake I made was putting in hot water its overkill I had it removed to much electricity pull and to much space taken up to wash my face no thanks theres other solutions.

This decision will either haunt you in the future or compliment you for years to come make this one right or as close to it as you can. Ask, ask many and verify what someone says that it is correct.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
After nearly two years of posts, ATeam should at least tell us how that high dollar Volvo finally turned out.
You would think that the value has really been affected through the passage of time.
It would be of value to the new folks as to whether it pays to have a team of "high level engineers" involved in a truck build.
Based on the last posts, it sounds like a expensive experience.
We here are only familar with a Volvo as a tractor. How are they as a straight truck? They would seem heavy without some modification.

Davekc

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I have always heard that Volvo's and Western Stars were heavy on the front.I believe Glen Rice had a Volvo but it was set up as a C unit.
A Team,how about giving us all a progress report? GEO used to have a Star but it was also a C Unit.

hdl

Expert Expediter
>After nearly two years of posts, ATeam should at least tell
>us how that high dollar Volvo finally turned out.
>You would think that the value has really been affected
>through the passage of time.
>It would be of value to the new folks as to whether it pays
>to have a team of "high level engineers" involved in a truck
>build.
>Based on the last posts, it sounds like a expensive
>experience.
>We here are only familar with a Volvo as a tractor. How are
>they as a straight truck? They would seem heavy without some
>modification.
>
>Davekc

I drove a Volvo 660 while with CRE and its my understanding that they are nose heavy compared to other trucks. Wouldn't converting one to a straight truck with a single drive axle be a problem in getting your loads situated?

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
You would think. Moving fuel tanks and other modifications would seem needed to keep the front end at the appropriate weight. I as well was curious as to how this "engineering" team made modifications in order for it to haul a load. It would seem like it would have alot of limitations.

Davekc

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Diane and I began thinking about the kind of truck we would one day own long before we ordered it. One day, in the Fall of 2003, we sat at a truck stop with new expediting friends we met on the road, and of course started talking about trucks. Like us, they were running with a fleet owner at the time. We mixed thoughts and sketched our our ideas on napkins...a typical expediter truck-talk visit.

That conversation got the other team thinnking about making the move from fleet driver to owner/operator and they soon went out and bought a brand new, reefer-equipped, lift gate-equipped AlumaBunk truck off the lot, and equipped it for White Glove service (pallet jack, appliance cart, hand truck, dollies, pads, straps, and more). We continued to run as fleet drivers and think about our truck.

As things turned out, we became close friends with these folks. We speak by phone and visit when the freight brings us close. The other day, they informed us their truck had fully paid for itself. By running hard, as we also do, they paid for the entire truck in less than three years. They maintained a nice house and worked in a couple overseas vacations along the way.

As we continue to run in fleet-owner trucks, it has not been lost on us that we could have done the same. Every now and then, the thought still rises about simply buying a truck off the lot and being done with it. But we don't. We don't, because we have very particular ideas about what we want in a truck and why.

Getting the truck we want, with all the bells and whistles, adds complexity to the project and tests vendors to their limit (sometimes beyond their ability to perform). The result is delays as posters above have indicated.

Nevertheless, we remain patient and focused on our truck-feature goals. The truck we want is a truck worth waiting for, in our opinion. And since we're the ones writing the check, our opinion is the only one that matters. For now, we're banking the profits we earn in a fleet owner's truck to help pay off our own truck that much sooner.

I'm not going to comment on the project or vendors. Several vendors have changed. The specs have changed. Brand names have changed. Manufacturers have changed. Had I talked in detail about the specs, vendors, brands and manufacturers before, it would have been misleading since what we thought we were getting before, and from whom, has changed so much. I'll speak in detail about the truck and the vendors that built it AFTER it is on the road; but not before.

Finally, kindly note that the setbacks we've suffered in this project have helped us maintain a healthy perspective. At one time, we so-looked forward to the truck and the lifestyle differences it would make for us on the road (creature comforts, reliability, etc.). But after running in fleet owner trucks much longer than we wanted to, we came to realize that we already have the lifestyle we want in expediting. While the truck we want will make life more profitable and comfortable on the road, it is still just a truck. It's not a core component of our existence by any means.

Not long ago, I read a book about the Amish. The author asked his readers to name the five most important things in their lives. As Diane and I did so, the truck was not on the list.

While it's going to be a very nice truck when complete, it will never be anything more than a truck. If it were to go up in flames one day, it would be an inconvenience of course. It would also be simple matter to run once again in a fleet-owner truck and build a new one for ourselves, following the specs and using the vendors that would be then proven.

Life is not about a truck. Life is about life. Whether we own a truck or not, and however fancy or basic a truck may be, happiness comes not from a truck, but from within.

While we'll not miss the cold winter walks across the parking lot to use a public bathroom (new truck will have a bathroom in it), we do not expect the satisfaction we find in expediting to change much when the new truck arrives. Its a truck. Nothing more. Nothing less.