Solar Eclipse - What are you doing?

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Won't be able to look at it tomorrow in Michigan. I don't have the glasses and obviously don't want to look without them.
So basically the rule is don't look towards the sun at all, correct? Sounds cool though.
Yeah, don't look at it. If you have a #14 welding mask, that'll work. Gotta be #14, though. Most aren't.

But, you can use a camera obscura (which is what Vermeer used to paint his photo realistic paintings, actually). A camera obscura is simply a pinhole camera. A pinhole camera projects a mirror image, and upside down, into the background (or just ground, but a flat, smooth white surface is best for the background). If you don't want to punch a hole in a piece of paper or cardboard, just use a pasta colander. Lots of YouTube videos and web sites on pinhole cameras.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Should be on TV. lol.:p
On TV, streaming on the Internet. NASA has high altitude weather balloons spread across the country so the total eclipse can be seen for hours, instead of minutes. (They did the same thing once with the Concord, where it flew along in the shadow for hours).

Reactions: davekc

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
You can also use your phone via selfie if no glasses. Better than a pizza box lol.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
The sun will fry the sensors in a camera if pointed at the sun for very long (more than a few seconds).

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
That's where I am, at the Pilot in Bowman, SC. I-26 exit 159. All I can do now is hope the clouds cooperate.

Capture+_2017-08-20-17-35-45.png

Reactions: RoadTime

ntimevan

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I will be taking my Mid day nap about then ... so i won't be missing a darn thing and maybe a good load call after that ...

my Poking sticks are donated by OVM Mfg. of Bison , SD.

Reactions: OntarioVanMan

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I will be taking my Mid day nap about then ... so i won't be missing a darn thing and maybe a good load call after that ...

my Poking sticks are donated by OVM Mfg. of Bison , SD.
at least it might be a little darker with the shades pulled....LOL

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Lots of big white puffy clouds here. Some moments the sun is completely unobstructed, other moments it's completely covered. It's gonna be a roll of the dice, I think. This was a few minutes ago.

0821171255~2.jpg

Reactions: davekc

Steady Eddie

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I saw it.
02c52fb042cf409766c29ec4dfa9f3c5.png

Sent from my iPhone using EO Forums
bf354967a5122821e924583342c72e2d.jpg

Reactions: Turtle

Grizzly

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Do people really need anymore evidence that God works intentionally in their lives? Millions of people looking up in the skies today, with their mouths open .. Oh, I guess this just happens by accident. Must be Mother Nature ...

Sent from my VS987 using EO Forums mobile app

Reactions: Steady Eddie

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Bummer here..... was sunny all day, now overcast..... can't even see a partial.

Grizzly

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
When something big or meaningful happens in my life that is sooo mathematically improbable, not impossible but improbable .. I know it was intentional.

Can that much precision really be accidental?

Sent from my VS987 using EO Forums mobile app