Solar Eclipse - What are you doing?

Lawrence

Founder
Staff member
Unknown.jpeg

The elcipse day is going to be pretty epic. Here are is some warnings from the DOT:
  • Don’t stop along the interstate or park on the shoulder
  • Exit the highway to a safe location to view the eclipse
  • Don’t take photographs while driving
  • Don’t wear eclipse glasses while driving
  • Turn your headlights on
  • Watch for pedestrians on smaller roads
  • Prepare for extra congestion the day before, the day of and the day after in states in the path of the eclipse
  • Avoid travel in the area of the main path, if possible

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
As I traveled along I-40 ({edit: I-70}) across Missouri, the entire length of which is pretty much in the path of totality, instead of Amber Alerts or clever messages about buckling up or not using cell phones, it was all April 21 Eclipse, Expect Heavy Traffic.

I read an article the other day telling people to not try and travel to the path of totality on the day of, thinking that no one else will be doing that. You need to get there a day or two ahead.

For people living in or very near the path of totality, the advice was treat it like it was a hurricane. Buy extra food and water, fuel up, expect it to take at least 4 times longer to get anywhere, so don't go unless you have to, don't expect to be able to call Dominos at noon an get a pizza.

Also, unless you are very experienced at taking photos of eclipses, don't. You probably don't have the right lenses and filters (a camera phone won't be worth crap) and you'll fry the camera sensors, and you'll spend the entire 2 minutes fiddling with the camera and you'll miss the entire thing.

Back in the early 70s (1972 I think) there was a total eclipse that went through central Florida up off the coast and then to Nova Scotia. We went up from Ft Lauderdale to near Daytona to see it. It's the most impressive thing you'll ever see. As it gets closer and closer to the totality, it gets darker, like a heavily overcast day or twilight, but it's still light out. And then, suddenly, like a light switch, it gets pitch black dark, and you can see stars in the sky that you normally can't see, birds noticeably shut up, people around you freak out, it's very unsettling and other worldly.

But the sun's corona is spectacular.

Reactions: Grizzly and Ragman

ntimevan

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
As I traveled along I-40 across Missouri, the entire length of which is pretty much in the path of totality, instead of Amber Alerts or clever messages about buckling up or not using cell phones, it was all April 21 Eclipse, Expect Heavy Traffic.

I read an article the other day telling people to not try and travel to the path of totality on the day of, thinking that no one else will be doing that. You need to get there a day or two ahead.

For people living in or very near the path of totality, the advice was treat it like it was a hurricane. Buy extra food and water, fuel up, expect it to take at least 4 times longer to get anywhere, so don't go unless you have to, don't expect to be able to call Dominos at noon an get a pizza.

Also, unless you are very experienced at taking photos of eclipses, don't. You probably don't have the right lenses and filters (a camera phone won't be worth crap) and you'll fry the camera sensors, and you'll spend the entire 2 minutes fiddling with the camera and you'll miss the entire thing.

Back in the early 70s (1972 I think) there was a total eclipse that went through central Florida up off the coast and then to Nova Scotia. We went up from Ft Lauderdale to near Daytona to see it. It's the most impressive thing you'll ever see. As it gets closer and closer to the totality, it gets darker, like a heavily overcast day or twilight, but it's still light out. And then, suddenly, like a light switch, it gets pitch black dark, and you can see stars in the sky that you normally can't see, birds noticeably shut up, people around you freak out, it's very unsettling and other worldly.

But the sun's corona is spectacular.
I am guessing you Meant I-44 or I-70 crossing through Missouri ...

my Poking sticks are donated by OVM Mfg. of Bison , SD.

piper1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Hey Turtle....you got space in your driveway? You must be pretty close if not in the total path.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Hey Turtle....you got space in your driveway? You must be pretty close if not in the total path.
I live right in town, but on the south side of town. The house is about 2000 feet south of the edge of the totality line. Just inside the totality line you'll only get a few seconds of a total eclipse, and in the center of it you'll get 2.5 minutes of totality. So just 20 minutes north of the house in Benton, Calvert City, you're in the middle of it.

Anybody in Oak Grove is going to get a good view. Hoptown is Eclipse Central.

But they're also expecting like half a million people to show up in Hopkinsville. If you're there already on Monday, stay put, buuuut I don't know if I'd recommend going there if you're not already there by Saturday.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I was hoping on running a load but...

Panther Professionals,

Eclipse Enthusiasts will be flocking to total eclipse states/cities listed below causing traffic delays before, during, and after the Eclipse, including some road closures Monday. Traffic in general will be crazy Monday. Please spend some time planning your travels before heading out Monday, 8/21. 1st link below will take you to US DOT Federal Highway Administration site providing traffic updates with additional links to specific state sites. If you can avoid total eclipse states/cities below and/or not be on the road during Eclipse times would be the safest option. If you’re on the road be extra aware of your surroundings, more than usual other motorists attention will be elsewhere. 2nd NASA link provides more Eclipse general details.

This is an e-mail I received today. I make up a lot of stupid stuff but even I couldn't make this up.

Reactions: ntimevan

ntimevan

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I was hoping on running a load but...

Panther Professionals,

Eclipse Enthusiasts will be flocking to total eclipse states/cities listed below causing traffic delays before, during, and after the Eclipse, including some road closures Monday. Traffic in general will be crazy Monday. Please spend some time planning your travels before heading out Monday, 8/21. 1st link below will take you to US DOT Federal Highway Administration site providing traffic updates with additional links to specific state sites. If you can avoid total eclipse states/cities below and/or not be on the road during Eclipse times would be the safest option. If you’re on the road be extra aware of your surroundings, more than usual other motorists attention will be elsewhere. 2nd NASA link provides more Eclipse general details.

This is an e-mail I received today. I make up a lot of stupid stuff but even I couldn't make this up.
Yeah ... just more stupid people on the roads for what ... to Blind yourself looking at the Sun... i am still waiting for the World to End like they claimed back a few years ago ... yep total power loss and internet and what happened ... nothing ... . Just more waste of TV and News time ..

my Poking sticks are donated by OVM Mfg. of Bison , SD.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
On a load from Des Moines to just outside Tampa.

Eclipses are overrated anyway. I don't even want to see it. Stupid eclipse.
blackhole.png

But, I deliver Sunday morning, and I may very well drive up so South Carolina, along with everyone who lives east of the Appalachians, from Maine to Key West. The traffic headed that way is already ridiculous.

Reactions: Moot

coalminer

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
On a load from Des Moines to just outside Tampa.

Eclipses are overrated anyway. I don't even want to see it. Stupid eclipse.
blackhole.png

But, I deliver Sunday morning, and I may very well drive up so South Carolina, along with everyone who lives east of the Appalachians, from Maine to Key West. The traffic headed that way is already ridiculous.

You going to park at the j off exit 10 after you deliver?

Sent from my iPhone using EO Forums

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Probably not. I'll most likely deliver (Brooksville) and then head back up towards South Carolina.

Ok was going to drop in on you if you were going to stop there.

Sent from my iPhone using EO Forums
That would have been great. I'm sitting here deep in the quarry of a Cemex plant on the northwest side of Brooksville. They aren't open today, but there's are a handful of people in the power plant. What I've is got is going to the quarry. I called my contact name and he's like 'I ain't answering the damn phone on a Sunday morning.' But he finally listened to the voice mail and called me. He forgot about this delivery. On his way.

After I get unloaded I'm on my way to try and squeeze in someplace in South Carolina.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I don't get what the big deal is?....I can t remember such a clatter over a Lunar eclipse...at least you can watch that one...
A partial solar eclipse is pretty impressive, but a total solar eclipse is life changing. It's a large scale celestial event that is humbling and awe inspiring. You feel connected to the universe in ways got can't imagine. You suddenly get an understanding of enormity of scale and distance.

With the flip of a switch the sky goes dark. And I mean dark dark. No sunlight, no moonlight, just stars. And it's startling. Then you see the corona.

A total eclipse of the sun is like a nipple - once you've seen one, you want to see 'em all.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I don't get what the big deal is?....I can t remember such a clatter over a Lunar eclipse...at least you can watch that one...
A partial solar eclipse is pretty impressive, but a total solar eclipse is life changing. It's a large scale celestial event that is humbling and awe inspiring. You feel connected to the universe in ways got can't imagine. You suddenly get an understanding of enormity of scale and distance.

With the flip of a switch the sky goes dark. And I mean dark dark. No sunlight, no moonlight, just stars. And it's startling. Then you see the corona.

A total eclipse of the sun is like a nipple - once you've seen one, you want to see 'em all.
It does that....the point that we are NOT in control of the universe....in the blink we can be and will be approx another 2 billion years be gone and everything we accomplished unless we find another life supporting system...to think all this clatter.....snap, gone....

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter

It does that....the point that we are NOT in control of the universe....in the blink we can be and will be approx another 2 billion years be gone and everything we accomplished unless we find another life supporting system...to think all this clatter.....snap, gone....
2 billion years? Wow...... Guess i need to start looking for another planet now. :pokepoke:

Reactions: ntimevan

muttly

Veteran Expediter
Won't be able to look at it tomorrow in Michigan. I don't have the glasses and obviously don't want to look without them.
So basically the rule is don't look towards the sun at all, correct? Sounds cool though.