Social Security Number Requests

Hawkeye

Seasoned Expediter
Last night I arrived at a customer to deliver my load. When I arrived, the security guard requested my driver's license and social security number so he can input my information into their computer. When I declined to give out my SS#, he stated that I won't be allowed on the property. I advised him that I only give it out for payroll and income tax purposes. He stood strong and said I wouldn't be allowed on the property unless I gave him my SS#. I asked if there was an alternative to the SS#, and he said no. I reluctantly gave him the information so I could deliver the load. Has anyone else experienced anything like this? If so, how did you handle the situation? I thought there were laws prohibiting people from using SS#'s as a form of ID. Now the security guard has my name, address, DOB, and SS#; everything you need to steal someone's ID.

Thanks,
Dave

JimF51

Seasoned Expediter
I'd object, as well. However, it's pretty easy to get that info. Anyone pulling up a driver's DAC report will get it.

I'd definitely discuss it with the company you drive for.

I think I might have pushed the issue, and tell him to call whomever and tell them they weren't getting their shipment, while I called dispatch to tell them I was being blocked from delivering the load. See how far it would go.

buckeyewildman

Seasoned Expediter
there is no way i would of given him my ss let them come out to the gate and unload the truck right there one skid at a time betcha they would have given in eventually

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I wouldn't give mine and I'd be on the phone to dispatch for them to straighten it out.

From the social security website here:

Your Social Security Number And Card

You should be very careful about sharing your number and card to protect against misuse of your number. Giving your number is voluntary even when you are asked for the number directly. If requested, you should ask:

* Why your number is needed;
* How your number will be used;
* What happens if you refuse; and
* What law requires you to give your number.

I wouldn't bother with the first three but go direct to the last question with the guard, already knowing there is no law requiring it. I'd give him a few seconds and then tell him that federal law prohibits requiring a social security number and he should call the supervisor and see if they want to violate federal law or receive their shipment. Then I'd wait on them to blink or dispatch to straighten it out.

redytrk

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I wouldn't give mine and I'd be on the phone to dispatch for them to straighten it out.

From the social security website here:

Your Social Security Number And Card

You should be very careful about sharing your number and card to protect against misuse of your number. Giving your number is voluntary even when you are asked for the number directly. If requested, you should ask:

* Why your number is needed;
* How your number will be used;
* What happens if you refuse; and
* What law requires you to give your number.

I wouldn't bother with the first three but go direct to the last question with the guard, already knowing there is no law requiring it. I'd give him a few seconds and then tell him that federal law prohibits requiring a social security number and he should call the supervisor and see if they want to violate federal law or receive their shipment. Then I'd wait on them to blink or dispatch to straighten it out.

RENT- A- GUARDS will never know the answer to these questins. Best to let dispatch resolve the issue.

Lawrence

Founder
Staff member
I would have to say unless this was a "security" load. I would have declined and called your dispatcher.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Hawkeye,
Don't ever give it out. Like LDB said, let dispatch deal with it. Even in the case of security loads I have never been asked to produce my SS number and there is no reason for it.

If I am asked, I will tell them I don't have it on me and I don't remember the number. Also don't carry it with you.

If it holds up the delivery, so be it.

I would now talk to someone at the company and tell them what went on. I would even call the people in charge of security at the delivery to ask them the policy is and inform them of what happened, even if your company says not to.

fastman_1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
It Happened to me once, I wouldn't give it. I was told I couldn't deliver, I called Dispatch, and was Told to leave. I told the Guard that it was No Problem I get Paid to take the Stuff Back. 2 Miles down the raod Dispatch told me to go back and they would unload me.

Hawkeye

Seasoned Expediter
After making a few phone calls, I found out the customer was a nuclear facility. I informed everyone that I spoke with on the phone that I have delivered to other facilities within that company and never had to give my SS# before. The one person said that not all of their facilities are regulated like the one that I delivered to last night. The same person told me that all of the security guards go through extensive background checks before they are placed at that site. Background check or not, I worked for this security company for eight years and saw alot of guards get fired because they dropped dirty or stolen property from the site. The dispatcher that I spoke with seemed to be drawing at straws to come up with a reason why the guard needed my SS#. She even stated that the customer already had my number on file and needed me to input my number to see if I was who I said I was (i.e.: to see if the SS#'s matched). The damage is done and now I will have to regulate my credit report even closer. In the future, I will take everyone's advise and refuse to deliver before giving up my SS#.

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
You may want to pick very carefully what "advice" you follow from this site. Much of it is potentially fatal.

Jack_Berry

Moderator Emeritus
despite the colonels warning i agree with everyone else. scuba has a point, if that is their game here is ours, please sign for refusal of goods. thank you very much.

Last edited:

Vinnie T

Seasoned Expediter
Dispatch is informed of these things before giving you the load. They should have told you before offereing it to you. Nuke facilities, government and military, even some waste water treatment plants ask for it nowadays after 911.

Fr8 Shaker

Veteran Expediter
If you decline to give your SS# and call dispatch, I wouldn't put it past dispatch just to call them and give them your SS# and call you back and tell you they have it all straightened out.

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
Ive just done 4 gov loads in the past 2 weeks,not once was i asked for my ss#,4 weeks ago did a rad load,no ss# there either.Ive been doing nuke and government loads for many years,have never ever been asked for ss#.Drivers lisc,and sometimes the fed id card but thats it.Dispatch would never give our ss# to anyone,they would be fired for it.
As was said,call dispatch and then your off the hook.

pelicn

Veteran Expediter
If you have a Gov Clearance, they have all that info on file. We've never had anyone ask for a SS#. Panther ID shows whether you've got Gov Clearance or not.

MSinger

Expert Expediter
Just make-up a nine digit number and spout it off to make them happy kind of like the illegals do. They won't take the time to verify it.

are12

Expert Expediter
We were just on a base that wanted our SS#'s, since it was a government facility, I did not hesitate to give it to them.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
We were just on a base that wanted our SS#'s, since it was a government facility, I did not hesitate to give it to them.

Military bases is the worst place to give it out....bunch of gun and drug smugglers there.....see it on TV all the time.;)