So you have a gun in your truck?

Pakrat

Seasoned Expediter
He must have multiple permits. I'm not aware of a state that has reciprocity with the other 49.

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

That's what I was thinking. I wish there was. Mine out of AR is pretty good but still a few that are left out...

AMonger

Veteran Expediter
I think Utah's is. Lots of out-of-staters get a Utah permit, I think because it's recognized by the other 47 states that have them. Of course, you're screwed in Illinois and Wisconsin, regardless. Only the Founding Fathers permit is valid there (that's valid everywhere there are humans), but still Illinois and Wisconsin won't recognize it.

Camper

Not a Member
I think Utah's is. Lots of out-of-staters get a Utah permit, I think because it's recognized by the other 47 states that have them. Of course, you're screwed in Illinois and Wisconsin, regardless. Only the Founding Fathers permit is valid there (that's valid everywhere there are humans), but still Illinois and Wisconsin won't recognize it.

No state has reciprocity with all 49 counterparts. I know for a fact a Utah permit isn't honored in California or Nevada unless that has changed recently. I doubt it's honored in very many of the Northeastern states either.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
No need for guessing. I posted a link in post #180. Check there to find out current laws in all 50 states.

Camper

Not a Member
FYI..I just tried your link and the state links don't open up on my phone(droid)..It seems like a good site though.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
FYI..I just tried your link and the state links don't open up on my phone(droid)..It seems like a good site though.

Worked on my wife's laptop. I don't know a think about those droid doohickeys.

Camper

Not a Member
Worked on my wife's laptop. I don't know a think about those droid doohickeys.

When I think of it, I'll have to see if there's a CCW map app in the android market. It would be nice if the NRA came out with an app of their own.

AMonger

Veteran Expediter
No state has reciprocity with all 49 counterparts. I know for a fact a Utah permit isn't honored in California or Nevada unless that has changed recently. I doubt it's honored in very many of the Northeastern states either.
Well, I already said that, because Wisconsin and Illinois don't allow CCW in any form by any mere "mundane" (non-government employee such as a cop).

As for the rest, I don't remember the number of states with which Utah has reciprocity, but if it's not all the others, it's pretty darn close.

AMonger

Veteran Expediter

Here's the list: http://publicsafety.utah.gov/bci/FAQother.html

The number of states that have an actual reciprocity agreement with Utah is far lower than I remembered, but then there are lots of states that recognize the Utah permit without an agreement in place. In addition, though you need not be a resident of Utah to obtain a Utah permit, there are some states that recognize reciprocity but only for actual Utah residents.

You were correct in saying there are several which don't recognize it at all. That number is much larger than I remembered.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
As I have stated before I have a CCW resident permit for S.C. I also have a non resident for N.H concealed. Check this link and it will answer question for states. I can carry almost everywhere.

Can you in your vehicle, while carrying freight? If you don't need to worry about it being forbidden by the carrier's lease, how about the many customers that post signs forbidding weapons on their property? :confused:

Link. New Hampshire Concealed Carry Permit Information

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
As I have stated before I have a CCW resident permit for S.C. I also have a non resident for N.H concealed. Check this link and it will answer question for states. I can carry almost everywhere.

Can you in your vehicle, while carrying freight? If you don't need to worry about it being forbidden by the carrier's lease, how about the many customers that post signs forbidding weapons on their property? :confused:

I run independant under contract with one company. They know I carry and one of my drivers carry. I do not know what carrier requirments are. When we arrive at our destination we just turn the weapon into security, sign the paper and get it back when leaving. They are used to us. We are also in C/Vans under the scope so to speak so inspections from weigh stations and such don't play in. I did also carry when I had a ST but did not tell anyone. Went to a Nuclear plant one time for delivery and did the same thing, turned it into security. That was years ago. Don't know about that deal now or what would happen. One thing I heard from Linda Caffee at the Expo was wasp spray does more then pepper spray as far as being effective. We now carry wasp spray. Haven't used it and hope never to but I thought that was interesting. Goes back to what's good for one is not good for all.:cool:
Word of caution. Don't get out of your vehicle with the gun in your hand to turn it in. Tell them you have one. You might get a surprise.

Last edited:

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Very good advice, purgoose, lol. I don't carry - because there are too many times/places it is forbidden, it's not worth the hassles involved, to me. There are other ways to defend oneself, wasp spray is one, yes. Simply being alert to the surroundings is the one I use most.

AMonger

Veteran Expediter
My understanding is that wasp spray is very overrated as a defense tool. In some states, using it that way will get you in more trouble. It's also a violation of federal law to use it that way. So if you do, be aware of the trouble you could open yourself up to if you do so and then tell a cop how it all went down.

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
My understanding is that wasp spray is very overrated as a defense tool. In some states, using it that way will get you in more trouble. It's also a violation of federal law to use it that way. So if you do, be aware of the trouble you could open yourself up to if you do so and then tell a cop how it all went down.

Well that may be but, If someone is breaking into my truck, and or robbing me, I don't care if its wasp spray or a 155mm howitzer I'm going to get'm.;)

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Well that may be but, If someone is breaking into my truck, and or robbing me, I don't care if its wasp spray or a 155mm howitzer I'm going to get'm.;)

A fine attitude to have knowing that government is NOT able to protect you. I too would prefer to deal with the aftermath of dropping a scumbag or being killed. When it boils down to it, it comes down to him or me. Kill or be killed. Nothing new under the sun.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
AM: if you're a compulsive reader [like me] you know it's a violation of federal law to use most anything in a manner other than that for which it was intended - says so on the label, lol.
I've no idea how effective it actually is, never had to use it, but if I do, I'll take my chances explaining it afterwards. I've found most cops are pretty good at sizing up a situation, so as long as it isn't some punk who happens to be related to the Chief of Police that got 'debugged', I expect it'll be better than getting mugged. Or worse.

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy

In todays world of idiots and rampaging shooters , do what u can and use what u can to protect urself.

Any weapon u choose, just make sure its gonna work. If ur a lady, carry the best weapon u can buy, I dont want to see any drivers hurt in here, male or female. We all got kids or families that rely on us in some way, be carefull please. IMHO

DieselDriver

Seasoned Expediter
The issuing state is Illinois, and there is only one permit...I am a retired police officer and am authorized under federal law to carry a concealed weapon, I'm just not sure if I can have one in my truck

Pakrat

Seasoned Expediter

I'm confused.....there are about 20 or so states that do not honor New Hampshire permits. South Carolina is about the same, and a lot of them are the same states. The "almost everywhere" part is what confuses me.

Also, be very careful getting concealed carry info from anywhere other than the states websites. Sometimes the laws change almost daily and telling a law enforcement officer that xyz.com said it was ok will not fly.