So you have a gun in your truck?

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I'm not saying this because of Paul, but I don't see any difference between a retired cop or a citizen. There should never be a difference - period.

BUT with that said, I don't care if people think it is a right or not, it takes one of these idiot cowboy truckers who think they own the road to get p*ssed off and use the weapon to kill someone - opps ... didn't that happen already??

And was there not a trucker pulled out of his truck and killed in a riot in LA? All it takes is a mob to kill innocent people. The illegal actions of one does not negate the right of all to defend their own lives.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Being told you can't carry in you truck as a contractor is akin to an employment handbook policy, IMHO. As an independent contractor, that call should be yours to make just like it is with respect to all other matters with respect to your truck.
You're confusing "independent contractor" and "autonomous contractor". An independent contractor with your own authority, yes, it is your call to make. But when leased on with a carrier and running under their authority, you aren't 100 percent autonomous, whether it's a gun or "with respect to all other matters with respect to your truck." Autonomous is free from and not subject to control from outside, where you are
self-governing and subject to your own rules, regulations and policies only. You don't get to have autonomy when you sign a lease contract with a carrier.

You will probably be surprised as to just how limited you are "with respect to all other matters with respect to your truck." When you lease on with a carrier, you are literally (and legally) transferring the right to possession and/or use of goods or equipment (your truck) for a term in return for consideration. So there's that.

Then, there's the strict implied Duty of Trust and Confidence that is inherent in every employer/employee and contractor agreement, whether spelled out or not, which states the employer agrees that it will not, without reasonable and proper cause conduct itself in a manner likely to destroy or seriously damage the relationship of confidence and trust between the employer and employee, or between the two parties in an independent contractor agreement. The employee or contractor owes the employer (or carrier leased on to) a duty of fidelity and good faith.

One rather lame but understandable example of a breach of the Duty of Trust and Confidence would be if you parked your truck with regularity (or even once or a few times) at a place like Chix on Dix, which could inappropriately associate your carrier with the location and the type of activity that goes on there (or that people think goes on there) and could result in a damage of their business reputation, which would have them lose trust and confidence in you to protect that reputation.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
And was there not a trucker pulled out of his truck and killed in a riot in LA? All it takes is a mob to kill innocent people. The illegal actions of one does not negate the right of all to defend their own lives.

Rights don't have a thing to do with reality.

I would like to know how people defend themselves in a situation where they don't know what is around them or who they are dealing with.

For someone who won't be intimidated by you and your gun, they don't care what constitutional rights you have and pretty much willing to take your life and anyone who is with you just because you challenged them with a gun let alone what you have in the truck.

Doesn't FedEx require you to take a personal safety course when you are in White Glove?

springrivergroup

Seasoned Expediter
Personally I don’t realy need a gun, I have a truck.

What is the difference between being shot and being run over by my truck?

The bullet doesn’t backup to finish the job.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver

How do you run over someone [or 2 or 3 of them] after they've broken in, while you're asleep?

springrivergroup

Seasoned Expediter
If someone has already entered the truck then I think the best choice is a large caliber hand gun and the skill and will to use it without hesitation or remorse. Unfortunately many of us are forced to enter or work in designated unarmed victim zones, and those who put us in that position take no responsibility for the results.

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
I think we have covered this gun thingy about 11,000,000 times. Just do what u need to do to feel safe and thats that if u know what I mean. Mr. Smith,Mr. Glock, and Mr. Ruger can be nice friends to have at ur side. Well its a thought.:D

AMonger

Veteran Expediter
when you have to ask if you can do something then it is not a right

That's the way it's supposed to be--I can't be required to ask to do it. When you have a right, and the government infringes on it like they do with guns or "free speech zones" (the very term should make your skin crawl), that's called tyranny and/or oppression.

It's like if you get mugged on the street. Did the mugger take your wallet, or did he remove your *RIGHT* to your wallet?

EASYTRADER

Expert Expediter
Only 1 in 10 shootings in the US is fatal. This includes accidental shootings.

There are three places, on the human body which when hit with a fist elbow or chop are almost always fatal and if not are instantly dabilating. I used to carry a gun all the time. I now no longer carry. Because I know how and where to hit a bad guy, and so does my wife.

Having said that the biggest enemy we face in this country is the Government, not criminals. Since in any confrontation with the government you will be outnumbered why carry and give them an excuse to kill you.

Better to learn hand to hand. And weep with me over the death of the US Republic.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter

I would like to know how people defend themselves in a situation where they don't know what is around them or who they are dealing with.

For someone who won't be intimidated by you and your gun, they don't care what constitutional rights you have and pretty much willing to take your life and anyone who is with you just because you challenged them with a gun let alone what you have in the truck.

Doesn't FedEx require you to take a personal safety course when you are in White Glove?

Rights ARE reality. ANY infringement of rights is a loss of freedoms. Guns are NOT for "intimidating" others with. IF you are ever compelled to pull a gun you use it to kill your attacker, not scare them off.

NO, no personal safety course.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Rights ARE reality. ANY infringement of rights is a loss of freedoms. Guns are NOT for "intimidating" others with. IF you are ever compelled to pull a gun you use it to kill your attacker, not scare them off.

NO, no personal safety course.

Well nope you got it wrong. ALL wrong.

let me recap ...

Your rights don't mean a d*mn thing to the person who is there to harm you.

What this means, and I think you would be the first to understand this, is that the person who is the target doesn't always know what his options are or what is going on around him so he has an exit strategy or even a place to retreat to. If you have taken some training in this stuff, you would have been told the weapon is the last resort and using it does not mean you win most of the time.

What this means is that you may not understand that the person who is standing in front of you does not give a crap and may look like he has no weapon and not like the idea that you pulled that gun. He may be a lot faster than you and take it way from you or have one ready to just shoot you before you have a chance just because of the disrespect of not complying to his demands and maybe go after anyone else who is in the truck with you.

For a company that has been a target over and over and has had a lot of losses, they should be giving you access to their safety courses.

By the way just an FYI, wasp spray does not stop some people but brake cleaner does.

ts675

Seasoned Expediter
Well nope you got it wrong. ALL wrong.

let me recap ...

Your rights don't mean a d*mn thing to the person who is there to harm you.

What this means, and I think you would be the first to understand this, is that the person who is the target doesn't always know what his options are or what is going on around him so he has an exit strategy or even a place to retreat to. If you have taken some training in this stuff, you would have been told the weapon is the last resort and using it does not mean you win most of the time.

What this means is that you may not understand that the person who is standing in front of you does not give a crap and may look like he has no weapon and not like the idea that you pulled that gun. He may be a lot faster than you and take it way from you or have one ready to just shoot you before you have a chance just because of the disrespect of not complying to his demands and maybe go after anyone else who is in the truck with you.

For a company that has been a target over and over and has had a lot of losses, they should be giving you access to their safety courses.

By the way just an FYI, wasp spray does not stop some people but brake cleaner does.

I really wish I could remember the line Lee Ermey used in FMJ. I finally agree 100% with something greg said, and on an issue I was sure was gonna go south fast. Fact is if you are not prepared to take action when it is needed you will sadly become another statistic. The hand to hand course is fine however when it is 2 or 3 am and you are sleeping and wake to someone standing over you with a pistol in your face, well I wont say but I am glad you at least believe in defending yourself and your wife someway. The military trained in the tactics I imagine you are speaking and can tell you they are very very effective given the proper training and practice. I have noticed that alot more in this country have allowed themselves to be turned into sheep, and that is never a good thing.

Last edited:

ts675

Seasoned Expediter

Amen brother, I have taught my wife and my kids if god forbid they ever have to use a weapon to make sure they are the only ones speaking with the police in the end. It is a sad world we live in now, where we cannot even enjoy the simple things with our kids as we did with our parents in our youth.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter

How do you run over someone [or 2 or 3 of them] after they've broken in, while you're asleep?

If I have the chance I will use a kitchen knife, bare hand, teeth, kick what ever I can to kill an attacker, without any holds bared and without mercy. I will go down fighting rather than role over and give up.

I WILL run over rioters that attempt to pull me out of my truck like in the LA riots or what just happened in WI. Their safety is of no concern to me. I only worry about protecting my wife first then myself.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I don't want to be anywhere near close enough for hands on activity although if that's the only option it has to be taken. I prefer Mr. Nosler do the close up work.

ts675

Seasoned Expediter
I don't want to be anywhere near close enough for hands on activity although if that's the only option it has to be taken. I prefer Mr. Nosler do the close up work.

You are correct in my line of thinking as well, but it is nice to have another option just in case, imo

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter

I feed my Ruger Hornady self-defense ammunition. I use self-defense ammo for my shotgun as well. Won't penetrate walls.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter

I feed my Ruger Hornady self-defense ammunition. I use self-defense ammo for my shotgun as well. Won't penetrate walls.

HarvOS

Active Expediter
Another reason to avoid the Communist state of New York. Its as if the 2nd amendment doesn't exist. In the south, we all have guns and there are no problems. Why do so many yankees spend every waking hour trying to control other people?

This country is taking the wrong approach on nearly every issue. God help us.