So... What is the Story on Laredo...?

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Snakes and tarantulas and me do not get along
Don't get out and wander around on the grass beside or behind the truck stops. then. They're not like, _every_where_, and it's mostly dogs and other pets that get bitten, but people do get snakebit, too. The veterinary clinics in Laredo average about 3 snake-bitten pets per week per clinic, according to KGNS-TV in Laredo.

Tarantulas, on the other hand, are absolutely everywhere. On the back roads you can sometimes not drive down the road without running over dozens or hundreds of them crossing the road. The Texas Brown Tarantula is Texas-huge.

They are harmless, however. For the most part. Just don't grab one and piss it off.

guido4475

Not a Member
Fortunately, I haven't seen any of them, snakes or spiders, either in the truckstop or campground, even while laying under the van replacing a starter. Now, I do see my share of dung bugs, while they were hijacking one of my dogs turds.

boonsdad

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
Fortunately, I haven't seen any of them, snakes or spiders, either in the truckstop or campground, even while laying under the van replacing a starter. Now, I do see my share of dung bugs, while they were hijacking one of my dogs turds.
My dog just got attacked by fire ants at the TA, i told him not to pee on that little mound, but he ain't too smart he'll do it again.

Reactions: ntimevan

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Isn't Loredo the Killer Bee corridor?
Yep!

Killerbees_ani.gif

Reactions: TeamPaul

TeamPaul

Expert Expediter
Researching
So I sort of picked up on another post in a different thread, that there are usually a lot of miles going into Loredo, and generally a lot of miles coming out... assuming of course, that you coming from afar, and going back further...

Tim Xpedites

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Ooooohhh Laredo how I love thee.......Yea I get caught up in the miles to Laredo ALOT! They are sooo enticing that I some times have a hard time turning it down but then quickly regret it once I arrive, so I've since then done some soul searching & rethinking on my moves, been GREAT miles/running since staying away! And so far as the tarantula thing? I caught one on film up at the Casa Blanca State Park, have a look see & fast forward to the 1:38 mark.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Ooooohhh Laredo how I love thee.......Yea I get caught up in the miles to Laredo ALOT! They are sooo enticing that I some times have a hard time turning it down but then quickly regret it once I arrive, so I've since then done some soul searching & rethinking on my moves, been GREAT miles/running since staying away! And so far as the tarantula thing? I caught one on film up at the Casa Blanca State Park, have a look see & fast forward to the 1:38 mark.

Just don't get blinded by the miles.....It does get easier...I've done it myself....pretty much I am a Jan. to March guy going to Laredo...MY choice...

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I still say yes to Laredo at times. I just ask for a rate that is rare to achieve these days. I'm also done doing ones that a person is only gonna have about 4 hours sleep time.
yeah been trying to do that for the last year or more...It actually works out depends on the individual budget but I feel much better and less stressed....
the ones where they call at 6pm with a 11pm pick up and going 800 miles DD.?....thats a big no now for me....

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I still say yes to Laredo at times. I just ask for a rate that is rare to achieve these days. I'm also done doing ones that a person is only gonna have about 4 hours sleep time.
Ditto. I'll look at the load and ask them to add 6 hours or more if there's just 4 or 5 to spare in it. If they don't get the load because of that, I'm fine without the load.

JohnWC

Veteran Expediter
I just up the price and if I get it okay
Just to many trucks with noisy apu and unmuffered generators down there but motel 6 has nice cool rooms so need extra money for them

TeamPaul

Expert Expediter
Researching
Motel 6 "we'll Leave The Light on..." And keep the rooms cool!

Watching Tim's video, and the corresponding Crafty Trucker video of Loredo, I see lots of desolate desert that reminds me of when I lived in El Paso... the other "armpit of the world" My wife states she is looking forward to visiting, if only for once... "if you're going to see the country, then Loredo is on the short list" she says.

Reactions: Tim Xpedites

JohnWC

Veteran Expediter
Motel 6 "we'll Leave The Light on..." And keep the rooms cool!

Watching Tim's video, and the corresponding Crafty Trucker video of Loredo, I see lots of desolate desert that reminds me of when I lived in El Paso... the other "armpit of the world" My wife states she is looking forward to visiting, if only for once... "if you're going to see the country, then Loredo is on the short list" she says.
Lol rather be in el passo at least people are friendly
Outher spots around border are better

NorthernBill

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Just dropped in Larado, went to Walmart, had a meal at Denny's, parked at the Flying J. Just like a lot of places, it's to hot, to many vans, crazy drivers and not a lot of English spoken.
But had a great trip from SC, brings us to about 2,000 miles for the weak. And fingers crossed we get out of here soon.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Lol rather be in el passo at least people are friendly
Outher spots around border are better
The people of Laredo are just weird. Everyone seems like they're up to something they shouldn't be doing. Even people in the other border towns, like Brownsville, McAllen, Rio Grande City, Los Indios, they all think they're weird in Laredo.
Two studies come to same conclusion: Laredo is weird

JohnWC

Veteran Expediter
The people of Laredo are just weird. Everyone seems like they're up to something they shouldn't be doing. Even people in the other border towns, like Brownsville, McAllen, Rio Grande City, Los Indios, they all think they're weird in Laredo.
Two studies come to same conclusion: Laredo is weird
I dont think it's the 95 % Hispanic population that makes Laredo weird unfriendly I have a boarder town I like to deliver to and except for the truckstop or docks all that's there are Hispanic people
And I think it's the friendly place I go to

Reactions: Turtle

Perioodic

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Ive been to Laredo only once and when I was there I only had time to sleep like 5 hours and I got a load out. Was pretty lucky that time. Let's hope I get out of San Antonio that quickly.