So... What is the Story on Laredo...?

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
We made it out in about 48 hours. At the J there were over 20 vans. 1300 Mi going in 1600 coming out, all in all not a bad trip. We team a 10 foot Sprinter.
JuJu and I always got out of Laredo quickly usually within 48 at most depends when we got there if a weekend was involved...and at times we were even prebooked going in with a certain customer...if your carrier has direct customers that do a lot of Mexico or is even on the preferred carrier list your odd are much better....if you are with a small outfit with no contacts you are pretty much screwed and will probably have to sell your soul to get out...

billg27

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
That would be the best spot too for renting electric outlets. Keep all the generators from running all day and night. Outlets out front where the vans park. Won't take big spots away like when some of us use the Idle Aire.

Reactions: NorthernBill

TeamPaul

Expert Expediter
Researching
So this was posted today on facebook:

Fair warning to all drivers go to Laredo, TX - The Walmart Supercenter on the Bob Bullock Loop has new signs posted about 2 Hour Parking Limits for trucks.... And apparently Srinter and Cargo Vans... They are literally taking down license plate numbers to have you towed.

Beware

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Yep.... If they are referring to the new one ... Been like that since it opened last year ... They are lenient and give you about 4 to shop and eat then they start knocking on everyone's doors...

Kazper

Rookie Expediter
Owner/Operator
The emergence of drug lords battling for control just over the border has completely destroyed what Laredo once was.. A decade ago, it was a decent spot to get a restart in. Plenty of places to wander. The mall was incredible. Endless CB banter to pass the time. Hopping across the border was a safe and memorable experience.
That page has turned.
Freight going south is strong.
Freight coming north is weak.
Plan accordingly.
Supply and demand. That is trucking.

Reactions: TeamPaul

tknight

Veteran Expediter
Just dropped in Larado, went to Walmart, had a meal at Denny's, parked at the Flying J. Just like a lot of places, it's to hot, to many vans, crazy drivers and not a lot of English spoken.
But had a great trip from SC, brings us to about 2,000 miles for the weak. And fingers crossed we get out of here soon.

I did 2000 miles this week and didn't have to go to Loredo!

Sent from my iPhone using EO Forums

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
Couple of my friends just spent 3 days there waiting, nothing changes, was the same 6 years ago......the lure of the big bucks never ends...

Kazper

Rookie Expediter
Owner/Operator
I tend to think of it this way.. Laredo is its own little corner in the lower 48.
As long as the miles are good to get there, sitting for a day (or even 2) isn't the end of the world. The vast majority of the time, the miles are going to be as good (or better) getting out of there.
Only once out of a dozen trips did I end up with a crap load (400 miles to Plano).
The rest all 1500+ to the Northeast or Great Lakes.
11,000 trucks pass through the border there daily. Opportunity exists.
Sure, it sucks getting stuck anywhere with 30-40 hours left on the clock.
There are far worse places to be stuck.

Laramie, Wyoming.. In February.
The infamous bowl full of blizzard.
Lol. Does it get any worse than that?

TeamPaul

Expert Expediter
Researching
We don't get much snow here in the Heart of Dixie, so I can only imagine a Wyoming blizzard as being as bad as they say it is... of the two choices, if offered, the route would go to Loredo

NorthernBill

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Real good week with the Holiday.
On that trip we got out 46 hrs after drop, 1600 mi to Ohio.
Oops, meant to quote tknight

Reactions: ntimevan

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Laramie, Wyoming.. In February.
The infamous bowl full of blizzard.
Lol. Does it get any worse than that?
o-NEWFOUNDLAND-SNOWSTORM-facebook.jpg

dc843

Expert Expediter
Researching
well damn, was super pumped about the 2k mile load i had coming here, where do you guys normally deadhead to from here? ive had bad luck with dallas but other than that dont get to this area often. are San antonio or Houston any good?

Kazper

Rookie Expediter
Owner/Operator
Laredo is a good place to hang out. It will test your patience at times, but the miles heading out usually justify the wait time.
Deadheading north only takes away from the loaded miles you could have had running north.
That general rule probably doesn't apply to flatbeds.

Perioodic

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
well damn, was super pumped about the 2k mile load i had coming here, where do you guys normally deadhead to from here? ive had bad luck with dallas but other than that dont get to this area often. are San antonio or Houston any good?

I wouldn't deadhead from Laredo.