So... What is the Story on Laredo...?

TeamPaul

Expert Expediter
Researching
So... what is the story on Loredo? I see a lot of references to Loredo, not just in Expediting, but in other facets of the trucking industry as well. It would seem that a lot of drivers get backed up in Loredo, is there some history here? Should I be worried? Maybe this is one of those stops that everyone should experience once in their driving career... Kind of like New York etc.

Darmstadter

Veteran Expediter
Tons of freight headed for Mexico going through there. Not much comes back. Rates coming back out of Laredo are cheap because of the imbalance. Probably want to make sure you're making enough per mile on the way down to account for that.

xmudman

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Many people, especially vanners, will deadhead out of there because of the large numbers of vehicles that accumulate there. If you arrive over the weekend, it makes sense to sit a little bit, but if you don't land a run by 1600 Tuesday, then it's time to roll out. Ask your dispatcher where to go; their answer sorta depends on where the freight is, where their customers are, etc.

ALWAYS try to get good money going down; you will almost always have to either deadhead out or take a chicken s**t rate to leave loaded. Lastly, when you deadhead, don't be in a hurry. 60 is plenty fast enough when you're burning fuel without being paid for it!

TeamPaul

Expert Expediter
Researching
What goes on in Loredo stays in...

As I only have experience in the South East, I always wondered what the story was on Loredo, thank you!

TDave

Expert Expediter
I've had pretty decent luck then again I'm in a straight truck. I normally have to have a little more patience down there. I got caught down there when Mexico had one of their holidays and been stuck there for a week. It probably depends on your carrier and the kind of vehicle you are going to be driving. Haven't been there recently and depends on when I get down there, and not surprised if rates are lowered especially if I get there and there are a lot of staight trucks in the area.

Reactions: TeamPaul

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
We typically do well out of there unless as mentioned, there is a holiday to trip things up. Lot of cheaper van freight but not so much on straights and tractors. If carrier has their own customer base, rates coming out are usually pretty good.

Reactions: TeamPaul

TeamPaul

Expert Expediter
Researching
Seems like some history here. So it would seem it is a mixed bag of experiences in Loredo. I imagine there are many "Loredo's" around the country that drivers wish they did not get dispatched to... I am sure I will experience them all in due time!

guido4475

Not a Member
If a person has had a slow month, or a slow week, it is really hard to say no to a load to Laredo, given the amount of miles and pay can generate. Sure, it may take a week to get out, as I fully expect upon acceptance of the load. Fortunately, I never came out of there at a low rate. But, make the best of sitting down there, as well as anywhere. Go to the movies behind Walmart. They are cheap, and gets you out of the heat. Go to the Golden Corral and not only watch the eye candy, but listen to the guy with the oiled down hair who can't sing...lol.. Go to the Cass Blanca state park on 20 loop. Like 23 bucks a day to plug in with water. I try not and concentrate on the sitting aspect. A load will happen when it happens. Be patient.

Dynamite 1

Staff member
Fleet Owner
Seems like some history here. So it would seem it is a mixed bag of experiences in Loredo. I imagine there are many "Loredo's" around the country that drivers wish they did not get dispatched to... I am sure I will experience them all in due time!

Laredo !!!!!!!!!!

DollarSign

Fleet Owner
Owner/Operator
The rates are horrible right now. I don't think I would like going down there right now or El Paso.