Sleepers

RoadKing

Seasoned Expediter
There are so many manufactures of sleepers for Expedite trucks which one is the best? i hear ARI is the best but i see alot of Bentz sleepers on the road. Any feedback would be appriciated.

guido4475

Not a Member
In the past I have had Bentz. It was a decent sleeper, but sucked on poor wiring and minimum insulation.Fit and finish was okay, but cheap looking and feeling. I was at the expedite expo, and was completely impressed with the sleeper company Middle Georgia Freightliner uses. I think they told me they build their own.Quality was there throughout, fit and finish was beautiful,nice use of space available.If I was in the market to buy again, I would go with Middle Georgia's truck.ARI is a nice sleeper, but the one at the truck show had a cheap feel to it as well. I think someone would be paying for the name on that as well.Remember, you get what you pay for.

RoadKing

Seasoned Expediter
Yea i have seen the Georgia sleepers before just dont know anyone that owns one. know a few guys with Bentz and they say about the same as you did. i wont be buying until spring so i have plenty of time to research. probably a good idea to take the time and visit the manufactures and take a plant tour.

Xpediter

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Okay here is my list for queality:

1 ARI
2 bentz
3 ICT
4 aa sleepers
5 alumibunk

xpediter

cruzer

Not a Member
Roadking save yourself a lot of time and visit AA Sleepers in Fort Worth Texas first, I know you will be impressed. They will show you the 3in skeletal frame they start with and every step it takes to complete it.They will sit in the sleeper you choose and make any changes you want to fit your needs at no additional charge. Now don't get me wrong, adding a two burner electric stove or a washer dryer combo is going to cost, what I mean is if you want some drawers in place of a cabinet or one big cabinet instead of two small ones and so on.

Bentz 96"x102" $50,000 all changes extra

AA 96"x102" $35,000 changes included and fully integrated

No I'm not a salesman just walked down the path you are starting down.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
If you are in the market for a new sleeper, be sure to check the written warranties offered by the various manufacturers. I believe you will find that ARI has one of the strongest, if not the strongest, warranties in the business. Also take time to tour the various manufacturers. Most are located in Indiana. If you arrange your time, you can tour several in a day. Of course, you will want to compare prices too. One other test -- ask to see the wiring diagram and service manual for a sleeper the manufacturer just finished. ARI provides both. Not all sleeper manufacturers do.

We have been in our ARI 132" sleeper for three years and absolutely love it. We stay cool on the hottest of desert-heat days. We stay toasty warm even at -30 degrees F in the winter. There have been no water leaks in the sleeper and nothing rattles after almost 400,000 miles of use.

In three years of use, the following items have been repaired or replaced:

- Several light bulbs
- One drawer latch
- One fuse for the microwave oven
- Two drawer rails (warranty repair).
- Sleeper shock absorbers (regular maintenance).

We have been back to the ARI shop a few other times to have minor modifications done to the sleeper but those were not repairs. It is a pleasure to go there for work. The service department knows what they are doing and make every effort to provide full customer satisfaction.

Another nice touch is the free shore power they provide at their Shipshewana, Indiana location. If you arrive overnight or over the weekend for service, you plug into their shore power while you spend the night and wait for the shop to open.

Yet another nice touch is the free loaner cars they provide to you if you wish. Instead of waiting around the shop, you can run errands or check out the town in one of their cars.

When it comes time to buy another sleeper, the decision is already made. We won't even bother to shop around. It will be back to ARI we go.

Here is a link to the ARI web site

Last edited:

Streakn1

Veteran Expediter
Another thing you may wish to consider is if you sell the truck for what ever reason, will the remaining warranty time left on the sleeper be transferable to the new owner?

Think about it a minute. The truck manufacturer's warranty including extended warranties stay with the vehicle, anotherwards transfer to the new owner. Such is NOT the case with all of the "after market" sleepers. You are trying to get a potential buyer to purchase a 50k - 80k sleeper that's less than two to three years old with NO warranty simply because its NON-TRANSFERABLE. Is the potential buyer really going to be willing to give you top dollar on a sleeper with those conditions?

There is hope though! There may be sleeper builders out there willing to honor the warranty regardless. So ask!

By the way, our ARI sleeper has 375,000 miles to date and is as solid as the day it left their factory!!! Ours was a custom build and love it to death!!! Great people from sales to service!

Last edited:

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
I would say factory jobs are the best. ARI and ICT are fairly simular. The highest milage truck we had with one was a KW with 800K. Only repairs was a leaking boot, fridge compressor, and numerous light bulbs. So not too bad.
Several Bentz's and so-so on the wiring. Blew a ac unit on a 06Sterling, 1500 dollar repair and out of warranty.
Wasn't too thrilled. Damage likely caused by metal being blown in the system when truck AC went out from a compressor failure and repair. Be careful of dealers in Dallas/Ft Worth that don't know what they are doing.
We learned the hard way last year.

Dynamite 1

Staff member
Fleet Owner
just a note on AA sleepers. they now can build any size sleeper you want 96" or larger. no more having to settle with the standard sizes of the past 96,102,110,120 and so on if you need one 111,133, 142,147 it does not matter. so now pick your box size and truck and they can fill everything in between w/sleeper. and quality, fit and finish is better than ever. the warranty on a AA is 5yrs.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Another thing to consider is the financial stability of the sleeper manufacturer in question. I know ARI to be financially sound by virtue of the parent company that owns it. Deep pockets there.

Do not assume a sleeper manufacturer is financially sound simply because it has a name and has been around for a while. If you are about to create a long-term relationship with a sleeper manufacturer by buying a sleeper, demand more information about the company's finances than a sales person's assurances that "we'll be fine."

Sleeper sales have plummeted along with truck sales. An in-debt sleeper manufacturer will have a hard time when sales drop and credit obligations continue. The recession has put thousands of businesses under for those reasons.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
When buying a sleeper be sure to keep a couple of more things in mind. DON"T buy AlumiBunk. Be sure that you get all of the insulation you can, walls, floors AND ceilings. DON'T buy Alumibunk. Be sure to get all the wiring, plumbing and air duct scematics. DON'T buy Alumibunk. IF you are going White Glove or other "specialized" services think about having heat and cooling ducts into the cab area. That would help a lot on those guarded loads.

wellarmed

Not a Member
I recently worked on an AlumiBunk sleeper for a fleet owner. The problem was the air conditioning. I was amazed to find that there trunk lines or ducts connect to the wall and then the wall actually becomes the air duct rather than to run trunk lines to the vents and this was reducing the volume of air. Also I was amazed at how little insulation,about an inch thick and poorly placed. Just all around poor quality in my opinion.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Well as layout said get the info for servicing the sleeper. I have had problems with my Bentz sleeper and wouldn't recommend them for any reason.

It wasn't the poor quality of the build that got me, it was the attitude they had when I was trying to buy parts and ask questions. They never returned my calls, and when I did get someone, he acted like I interupted his busy schedule.

The build was poor for several reasons, I listed them in the past but the biggest thing for me was seeing house wiring used in the sleeper and the holes that the wire ran through that were not deburred. It was something that has to do with the safety of the people in the sleeper, and I can't forgive the stupidity of the engineers and production people for that.

The only thing I do not like about the truck, the sleeper.

OK on to something else but related.

A while ago I met up with another expediter who used two old factory sleepers to make one large sleeper. He said it was cheaper than buying one large sleeper. It looked really good and thought about that. Seeing that sleepers from Day Cab conversions are all over the place and cheap, I can see where someone with some knowledge of metal can put together a large sleeper.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
It would be hard for me to use the words insulation and Alumibunk in the same sentence. Quality does not fit either. I have learned my lesson. :(

ATeam

Retired Expediter
the warranty on a AA is 5yrs.

Not to pick on AA or any other sleeper manufacturer, but to highlight the point about comparing warranties BEFORE you pick a manufacturer to build your sleeper, warranty duration is part of the picture. Also consider exactly what the warranty covers. Are you covered for leaks? Are you covered for manufacturing defects? What sleeper components does the warranty apply to (plumbing? microwave? door hinges? wiring? air bags? etc.). Is the warranty pro-rated so its value declines with time or does it reamin in full effect for the duration of the warranty?

Much to consider, but it is easily done if you get copies of the warranties ahead of time and sit down to read them and think them through.

Last edited:

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Rumor has it Bentz may be a victim or becoming a victim of financial hardships.

Rumor has it that many companies may be a victim or becoming a victim of financial hardships. Such rumors are worthless. It is a disservice to readers and unwise to say such things unless you have factual information to back it up and that you can publicly share.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Remember if you get the chance to have a NEW sleeper specked, get is as right as possible at the start. Retro-fitting or repaired poor workmanship is far more difficult and far more expensive than building what you want and right in the first place. IF you buy used, remember you are buying AS IS. Don't expect a used sleeper to be EXACTLY what you have dreamed of unless you get REALLY lucky