Should there be child-free zones on planes and trains?

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Can't be done. Rail is already losing money and the airlines are working on razor thin profits. Seats need filled. In reality, passenger rail needs to go away if it continues to need government subsidies to survive. Government does not need to be in the transportation business.

Humble2drive

Expert Expediter
Yes! I believe that a child free zone can be offered and will quickly sell out.

Many of today's parents seem weak and don't enforce rules and manners.
While in a restaurant last night the kids ran amok using the chairs as monkey bars and running in front of the waitress while the parents sat with their back turned and drank their beer.:confused:

EnglishLady

Veteran Expediter
Yes! I believe that a child free zone can be offered and will quickly sell out.

Many of today's parents seem weak and don't enforce rules and manners.
While in a restaurant last night the kids ran amok using the chairs as monkey bars and running in front of the waitress while the parents sat with their back turned and drank their beer.:confused:

Good post! :)

Totally agree about the bad parenting nowadays (ok not every single parent, but you know what I mean LOL)

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Parents are often the problem to be sure. Kids crying on planes is often caused by a small child being unable to equalize the pressure in it's ears.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I hate it when kids act like, you know, kids. I also hate it when dogs bark, cats meow, and birds sing. It's infuriating when the wind blows and the sun shines and the rain is wet.

I believe that adults who are the most annoyed with kids were the most annoying kids when they were kids.

EnglishLady

Veteran Expediter
I hate it when kids act like, you know, kids. I also hate it when dogs bark, cats meow, and birds sing. It's infuriating when the wind blows and the sun shines and the rain is wet.

I believe that adults who are the most annoyed with kids were the most annoying kids when they were kids.

LOL thank you for those pearls of wisdom :rolleyes:

As they say ...Been there, seen it, done it, got the t-shirt.

Kids acting like kids ..... yes ...... on a separate plane with their parents :p

Oh and I was an angel as a child & a model parent IMO :D

Humble2drive

Expert Expediter

Maybe. I was hell on wheels for the most part but was taught manners so I knew when to shut up and sit down.:eek:
I think you have an excellent idea though. Put the kids in the cargo hold with the dogs, cats and birds!!
The airlines seem to do a good job preventing wind, rain or sun from getting inside the cabin of a plane so no worries there. :cool:

Last edited:

Brisco

Expert Expediter
I hate it when kids act like, you know, kids.......

There are times and places where it's OK for kids to act like, you know, kids.........But there are also times and places where the parents of those kids should show some respect towards the surroundings they are in when it pertains to their kids.

Is it right for kids to be kids in a movie theater where all the other patrons just paid $47 each to go see the latest Adam Sandler movie?? Nope........

Is it right for kids to be kids at your distant Great Aunts Funeral? An Aunt you had not seen for years, and Cousins you had never met, who were close to that Aunt, and who trying to bereave the loss of their Grandmother, but who were also being annoyed by kids being kids??

Again......Nope.

It is up to the parents to make the decision for their Kids on when the right time to be kids is OK, and NOT OK. As in an Airplane..........

I ran a guy and his kids out of my store a few weeks back. Came in to look at some furniture.....2 kids probably 8 &10 (9 & 12???) wanted to play tag and grab assss in the store while dad was shopping. They were climbing over and under furniture.......pushing each other around in chairs.....yelling.....etc. Dad just kept asking me questions about this and that and ignored them as if they weren't even around. Finally after about 10 minutes of this.........I asked him if he wouldn't mind having them wait in the car for me........they were not only putting my Inventory at risk to damage...but also injuring themselves somewhere in MY store. Dad got a little upset and said "But it's 110 degrees outside"..........I popped back that he could roll his windows down while they're in the car. He started to get a little mouthy and right smack dab in the middle of his first sentence.....I told him to leave my store immediately........

I'm not going to put my store.....my livelihood...at risk for the sake of allowing kids to be kids...Period. What if one of 'em was to push the other one head first into the corner of a 2 Drawer METAL File Cabinet face first???? Who do you think DAD.....and his ATTORNEY...is going to go after to cover the cost of stitching HIS kids face up???

I know this covers a little more than what the OP article covers.......but there are also other ISSUES that arises from allowing, you know, Kids to be Kids.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I never said kids shouldn't be disciplined or should be allowed to do as they please.

On a separate note, you actually recommended that someone put their kids alone in the car with the windows rolled down where anyone could reach in and grab them? Wow.

Brisco

Expert Expediter
On a separate note, you actually recommended that someone put their kids alone in the car with the windows rolled down where anyone could reach in and grab them? Wow.

Yep...........

It's not like my store is buried off in the middle of a Mega Mall or anything like that. Here at my new location there are only 4 4-5K sq ft suites. The suite down on the end is the Owners storage area where he warehouses AC Units. He might come by once or twice a week..........

Right next door is a small church. They only meet there Friday nights and Sunday mornings. The Church Secretary comes by maybe once or twice a week for about an hour or so........

The suite on the other side is Vacant..........

Sooo.....Basically..........I have this whole Complex to MYSELF all week long. There's parking out front for about 30 cars. ALL during the week, unless there's a Customer in my store, my truck is THE ONLY vehicle in this parking lot. Sooo again.......I didn't tell the guy to go put his Kids out to pasture for the pedophiles and baby eaters to get ahold of......just basically asked him to get them the hell out of my store.

If he wasn't going to respect my store in regards to how his kids were acting in MY store........I could've really cared less where they went off to........

Brisco,
I think I agree with your points, I just got stuck on this sentence for a while:

What theatre do you go to?:rolleyes:

Just a funny at how stupid movie ticket prices have gotten over the years............ :)

Last time I went to a $1.00 matinee......it cost me $19.00.

$1.00 for the Movie
$7.00 for a Small Popcorn
$6.00 for a Small Coke
$5.00 for a Small box of Hot Tamales

I've heard single ticket prices for new movies are now in the $15 - $17 range.

Don't know myself........haven't been to a movie in a while....at least not since that last screwing I got......... :mad:

21cExp

Veteran Expediter
Some airlines, as the article states, are already segregating kids and their parents to the rear, but to do it separated by a bulkhead and toilets? That would be awesome. Might actually provide a better environment for the kids, too, in which they are more engaged and entertained.

I traveled with my kid a lot when she was tiny--alone, just me and her--and never had the crying problems or kicking the seat in front of her, etc. But I know that is rare; I felt blessed with a calm quiet, curious kid. As a frequent flyer over the years, the worst is a kid right behind or right in front, who pitches a fit over every little thing and the parent just allows it. Nine times out of ten it is the parenting that allowed the kid to grow into that type of behavior.

On planes sans bulkhead and separate area, I believe other passengers should be provided with duct tape and a child-sized closet.

21cExp

Veteran Expediter

Heh - as long as those kids have coral attached to their skulls with common wood screws. . .

moose

Veteran Expediter
IF you are flying the Boeing 737 Virgin airliner from Ottawa to India & the plane is over Italia when the Illegal fostered Mexican twins are so freaking loud because their legal Cuban mother, who married an American bureaucrat ignored them - so you snap & flap them so dern hard, that they seat quietly till the end of the trip,
which judge are you going to face?...

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
IF you are flying the Boeing 737 Virgin airliner from Ottawa to India & the plane is over Italia when the Illegal fostered Mexican twins are so freaking loud because their legal Cuban mother, who married an American bureaucrat ignored them - so you snap & flap them so dern hard, that they seat quietly till the end of the trip,
which judge are you going to face?...

In this case you would end up in a court in Reykjavik, Iceland.

zero3nine

Veteran Expediter
Flying on a 737 from Ottowa to India?

Forget the judge, go get a brain scan.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
Just get rid of all adults and the world would be a nicer place,,think its not true,,look around............................... oh heck, just watch the evening news:rolleyes:

bobwg

Expert Expediter
Just wonder how many parents are scared or less likely to punish/discipline their kids because they dont want to be accused of child abuse?????

EnglishLady

Veteran Expediter
It actually could work quite well if the airlines with the 'child' planes have activity area's and such like, the children wouldn't feel confined, they would be able to interact with each other and the parents might even get more of enjoyable flight themselves.

:)