September Location

piper1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Sitting at the Panera Bread in Trenton MI, just east of the Detroiter.

Been here since 10am...this is the longest I have sat in 2 weeks.

Could this be the first no load day this month? Feels weird.

guido4475

Not a Member
Go with stainless steel tanks, more expensive, but they will last forever That is one thing they did right on the Freightliner M2's

Dakota, are you sure they are not aluminum tanks on a M2? I don't know of any manufacturer that uses stainless steel fuel tanks, but there could be a first.

I'm still in GRand Rapids,looked at a bunch of rv's today, killing time.One Prevost conversion had a 650 hp Cummins in it.I hope this doesnt turn into another mini-vacation.lol.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
Still at home out od service, thinking i might go back to work thrusday or fri...but then again, its homecoming at my old highschool friday might , so who knows...

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
..... then over the top to St. Paul, MN
:rolleyes:

I picked up in Escanaba this morning and delivered in Clarkston. You've got a clear shot across the U.P. on U.S. 2 except for a short detour at Cut River.

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
Dakota, are you sure they are not aluminum tanks on a M2? I don't know of any manufacturer that uses stainless steel fuel tanks, but there could be a first.

I'm still in GRand Rapids,looked at a bunch of rv's today, killing time.One Prevost conversion had a 650 hp Cummins in it.I hope this doesnt turn into another mini-vacation.lol.

LOL they were shiny so I assumed:rolleyes: stainless, your probably right, Aluminum. Anyways that is one thing Freightliner M2 got right
I know my 2007 Hino already has rust on tanks

greg334

Veteran Expediter
We thought we would be going back in service tomorrow morning but once we took the truck up to Interstate yesterday we found out we have to have the fuel tanks replaced because there is rust in them and that is what is causing all the problems with the truck not running right and the check engine light coming on.

Doesn't anyone ever drain the tanks and flush them any more?

Even with Aluminum tanks it is needed every couple years to get the cr*p out of them. By the way no one uses stainless steel for their tanks, they are all aluminum.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Greg...I used to carry a 5 gallon fuel can ....the crap from the pumps is unbelievable!! you should see what would accumulate in a just a month...

Was/is a company in Canada that lined tanks with a blown in fiberglass/poly lining for gasoline cars....

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
At home still out of service. After the upgrades to the van, i am cooking today to stockup the frig for the next 3 weeks.

Makin:

New England Pork stew
Chicken Soup
Beef Barley Soup
Spaghetti w/ homemade Sauce and Meatballs
Bean Soup
Chili Mac
And Salisbury Steak w/ Mashed taters

Have a high school football game on fri, then back in service...:D

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Still in Pheonix, guess i am getting that cold front I wanted. Only supposed to be 95 today. :D

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
We are in Miami, FL, waiting at the airport for our load to land. IF if arrives this will be our 3rd load this week. Keep 'er goin!!!:D

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Just unloaded in Aurora Ill...zippin up to Algonquin Ill about 30 miles and unloading in Greenfield Ind during the night....guess I'll be sleeping at the J in Spiceland by morning..This makes 4 loads this week...Kaching!:D

moose

Veteran Expediter
WHQ , Ontario California .
for the night .
Leaving in The Morning to Tampa , F.L
Great ,
i just spend 800$ for snow chains on the way here...bummer...
any chain law in effect along I-10 ???:(

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
Doesn't anyone ever drain the tanks and flush them any more?

Even with Aluminum tanks it is needed every couple years to get the cr*p out of them. By the way no one uses stainless steel for their tanks, they are all aluminum.

I'm talking about the outside, mine are already rusting on a 2007
Aren't fuel filters for keeping stuff out?
Oh BTW I am home too, Imagine that LOL

hz909

Seasoned Expediter
With 5 vans, a Sprinter, and at least 3 straights, the TA in Nashville resembles a used auto lot owned by Panther.

piper1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Back in my favorite place...the J in Montreal. 3 loads this week so far and I haven't seen the wife and dog for over a week..sure do miss the dog.

Lansing MI to Montreal on 1 tank (23.68 us gal ) of fuel last night...somedays I do love my Sprinter.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Aren't fuel filters for keeping stuff out?

No not really.

The filter is too fine for rust, it clogs easily and that's why I changed the primary and secondary filter.

I think that it should be a requirement that all trucks made today have aluminum tanks. It should have been back in 1998.

moose

Veteran Expediter
The Thermo King Tanks are a good clip on .
i know the Dealer in Albert Lea have a few instock .
i've seen an E1 Hino that did just that. , looks good .
don't know about pricing.

after reading this , we checked my Hino tanks inside & out - no rust ... yet...

We are draining the Water fuel separator twice a week .
it is very accessible in the Hino , and Easy to do .
at first you would think that this practice will not take the rust off of the tank ,but consider this :
the engine only use about 5% of the fuel going through the fuel filter , all the rest is going back to the tanks , there for , having a well maintained fuel filter & water separator will keep rust off the tanks , also , keeping the tanks on the full side.

my Hino is 122,000 mil. old , and over 2 years now.
we just had it's annual safety inspection done , they could not fine nothing wrong with it , the Tech guy crawled under & around it for more then 3 hours ,42$ in and out the door.
This is one heck of a truck ...so far...

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
Mine just hit 184K except for a transmission sensor needing replaced and a problem with the ac not draining it has been fine.
They use a ton of salt on the roads here so that is probably why I have rust on my tanks and also on the back of my truck/liftgate and the frame. Oh well, what can you do. :rolleyes: