Satellite radio

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I'd like to add satellite radio, but no one seems to know exactly which pieces/parts I need to acquire. My Pioneer radio says "Satready", which one clerk said means I just need an antenna, while another said I need the satradio kit for Pioneer.
I know I need professional installation, any advice on places to go, or avoid?

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
I had Circuit city hardwire into the back of my satready radio. Bestbuy also does it. You'll need a sirius or xm receiver and a connection wire. Should be about $150 total.

rollnthunder

Expert Expediter
First off you need to find out if your stereo is XM or sirius capable.Most new radios with in the last few months may work with both.So if you figure that out then all you need is a XM or Sirius reciever and antenna.The receiver is a small flat box that plugs into the radio and the antenna plugs into the reciever box.All your radio is used for is tunning to a freq.This is how i have mine and love it no having to tune the radio to a certain channel to the satelite radio.All i have to do is hit my source button on my pioneer and it goes to xm and its perfectly clear.I did try a sirius sportster radio kit that you have to tune the radio to a channel to pick it up and was unhappy with it.I then purchased a box that connects from it to the radio and still have some problems when a small town radio station uses the channel mine is on then i have to change.If you tell me what model your radio is i have a catalog that will tell me what your radio is.And you DONT NEED PROFESSIONAL INSTALLATION.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
The radio is 2 yrs old, it's a Pioneer DEH-P3700MP. It doesn't say Sirius or XM ready, just satellite ready, so I'm confused.
And if you think I don't need professional installation, you've got a lot more faith in me, than I do, lol. But thanks for the help, guys, I do 'preciate it. The website for Sirius is long on accessories, but short on details....

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Ah, kewl. That radio will play burned WMA and MP3 discs, so you'll like it.

That one is one of the "SAT Ready" units that will accept inputs from either XM or Sirius tuners. (It's also iPod ready with a Pioneer iPod adapter). All you need for satellite radio for that stereo is either an XM or Siruis tuner (see the URL above).

The tuner will run you about $100, probably less. Best Buy has 'em, and they should be able to install it in minutes.

XM is better than Sirius. :)

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Thanks, Turtle - I have enjoyed the radio, for 2 yrs now, but am finally tired of the CDs - though I do like the scrolling of song title, artist, etc.
I compared Sirius & XM, and whichever one has Howard Stern (yechhh!) is the one that has more of the music I like. The music is a great thing, on those long overnight drives, when most everyone's asleep, eh?

ndfan

Seasoned Expediter
i have sirius and love it blue collar comedy is the best you cant go wrong with xm or sir as they are going together

dhalltoyo

Veteran Expediter
My 2008 GM is satellite ready also.

I see the posts regarding the tuner for XM, but what about the antenna?

Do I have to mount a separate external antenna to get satellite radio?

pelicn

Veteran Expediter
Yes, a separate antenna is required. There's different types you can get, we have one for the big truck that mounts to the antenna and one for our car that's magnetic mount and just sits on the roof.

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
The magnet antenna that comes with the tuner should work fine on a metal truck with a flat top cab. If you have a high-rise cab, or a fiberglass truck, you should get an antenna. Beast Buy doesn't carry them, but most truckstops and cb shops do. Expect around $70 for one.

-Vampire Super Slooth Trucker!!!