Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
with ceva in richmond va they call or you call and here i am
we don't use gps

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Not thrilled to know Panther was charging $55/wk.

Not sure where you got that but unless something has changed that's incorrect. As much as Panther overcharges, just as they almost all do, they charge $35 a week not $55 a week. That's still double what it should be so they like all companies are making about 100% profit every week on every QC unit they have in the field but not $55.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I was told QC charges about $20 a week for each unit to be connected to the system....so they don't make as much some people seem to think they do....

panthercub

Seasoned Expediter
Qualcomm Satellite...$20
Satellite messaging...$35

That's every week. Maybe I'm wrong to call them both "QC charges", but that's where I was getting the $55 figure.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I was told QC charges about $20 a week for each unit to be connected to the system....so they don't make as much some people seem to think they do....

Who told you this and what exactly does connected to the system mean? I ask because I talked to a QC rep direct about setting up my "small fleet" with QC units. For my small fleet it was going to be about $15.50 per week grand total of airtime, fees, etc. etc.. I don't know for certain but I'd suspect a very large carrier would get a discount compared to a 3 truck fleet. Absent QC or one of the carriers providing certified and audited accounting logs proving otherwise I'm standing on 100% profit per unit per week on the weekly charges. Now I acknowledge the units have to be purchased but at this profit margin they are paid for within 2.5-3 years maximum and used for much longer so the profits are in there at these rates.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Who told you this and what exactly does connected to the system mean? I ask because I talked to a QC rep direct about setting up my "small fleet" with QC units. For my small fleet it was going to be about $15.50 per week grand total of airtime, fees, etc. etc.. I don't know for certain but I'd suspect a very large carrier would get a discount compared to a 3 truck fleet. Absent QC or one of the carriers providing certified and audited accounting logs proving otherwise I'm standing on 100% profit per unit per week on the weekly charges. Now I acknowledge the units have to be purchased but at this profit margin they are paid for within 2.5-3 years maximum and used for much longer so the profits are in there at these rates.

How about a fine fella we all know that has over 200 company trucks not counting his expedite division... and that was ABOUT 20 bucks per unit. Airtime =ed connection charge.... I think carriers should also start charging a maintenance fee as well....the abuse at the hands of drivers...keyboards all gummed up by dirt/spilled coffee/crumbs and cig ashes...that is negligence..

Maybe on the old Omni Track units 100% but a doubt it with the new MCP200 units..

the old units sure are not worth $35 a week...

Last edited:

bobwg

Expert Expediter
I have seen and heard people crying about the Qualcomm for years they dont like the cost , they dont like the company knowing where they are, etc etc. Sure the company charges you for the Qualcomm why not its called business if you dont like the cost and/ or dont like the company being able to track where your at then I suggest you go to a company that does not have Qualcomm. I for one like the QualComm

greg334

Veteran Expediter
I have seen and heard people crying about the Qualcomm for years they dont like the cost ...

I just chalk it up as part of doing business and can't do much about it. People seem to worry about the pennies and don't get the fact that this is the way it is and nothing can be done about it other than leave. Many don't seem to complain about the Comdata/Tcheck fees as much or Insurance costs or the price of the hats and shirts the company makes a crap load of money on.

If you are making money, who cares!

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
the first company to have Qual Com was Schneider,and Roberts Express was next.I was the first tractor at Roberts to get the Qual Com that they renamed Customer link.In the first 6 weeks of being dispatched with that silly thing,it not only paid for itself but,I made enough revenue that I wouldn't have made without it,that it paid for itself for at least the rest of the year.
It's a business tool.and now that we have other means of communication ,you may be able to work without it,but for me,I'll never leave home without it

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I'd have to buy gasoline 70 times a week to pay as much in fees as the QC costs. When I buy a shirt, for no more than the cost of a week's QC expense, the shirt lasts me for a few years. Insurance is an expensive but necessary evil so we'll skip that one. I have no problem paying for a QC. I have no problem with my location being reported, especially if it saves me from "Where are you?" calls. The problem I have is when QC corporate sends my carrier a bill for $14.52 for my unit and my carrier charges me $35 for it.

I don't care if the units cost the company $20 or $200 or $2500 to buy from QC. That's their cost of doing business not mine unless they are giving me the unit once I pay for it. I don't care what it costs to repair if/when it needs repair. That's their cost of doing business unless the repair is due to my negligence or abuse. In that case have me pay for it.

If I'm paying a LARGE premium to pay the purchase cost of the unit then it's my property when it's paid for. That's how it should be. The problem isn't the unit or the location reporting or the actual cost. The problem is the profit center they've made of it.

bobwg

Expert Expediter
I'd have to buy gasoline 70 times a week to pay as much in fees as the QC costs. When I buy a shirt, for no more than the cost of a week's QC expense, the shirt lasts me for a few years. Insurance is an expensive but necessary evil so we'll skip that one. I have no problem paying for a QC. I have no problem with my location being reported, especially if it saves me from "Where are you?" calls. The problem I have is when QC corporate sends my carrier a bill for $14.52 for my unit and my carrier charges me $35 for it.

I don't care if the units cost the company $20 or $200 or $2500 to buy from QC. That's their cost of doing business not mine unless they are giving me the unit once I pay for it. I don't care what it costs to repair if/when it needs repair. That's their cost of doing business unless the repair is due to my negligence or abuse. In that case have me pay for it.

If I'm paying a LARGE premium to pay the purchase cost of the unit then it's my property when it's paid for. That's how it should be. The problem isn't the unit or the location reporting or the actual cost. The problem is the profit center they've made of it.

Let me know when you quit crying, they are providing the Qualcomm for you to do busisness if you dont like it that they are making a profit which is what they are suppose to do then leave the company and go some where else

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I'm not crying. I'm pointing out the problems with the system. They are supposed to make a profit, from the shipper paying to have freight moved. If they want me to buy the unit through the major overcharging that's fine as long as ownership goes with that. I have a problem buying QC units for them to own. Any sensible business person would.

bobwg

Expert Expediter
I'm not crying. I'm pointing out the problems with the system. They are supposed to make a profit, from the shipper paying to have freight moved. If they want me to buy the unit through the major overcharging that's fine as long as ownership goes with that. I have a problem buying QC units for them to own. Any sensible business person would.

If you could figure out other ways to make a profit from your company or the shippers and recievers would you not do so as long as it was legal?? so your company has figured out a way to make money from you they are in business to make money any way they can legally including thru charging you for the Qualcomm have a nice day

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
If you are fine with an employer offering you a job at $14 per hour but oh, by the way, you have to pay us $2.73 per hour to work here, then more power to you. Most applicants wouldn't consider that an appropriate way of doing business. Yes, it's legal. That doesn't make it kosher.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I can't believe that someone would actually defend the carrier's blatant cash-grab profit center on the Qualcomms. $35 a week is roughly twice what a small carrier pays to Qualcomm for weekly fees. A large carrier, like Panther, pays considerably less than that. What I pay Panther per week is close to what they pay to Qualcomm per month.

For the first 3-4 years of a AC unit's service live the extra cash collected by the carrier goes to pay off the unit and to build a bank to cover repairs and replacements. But after that, there weekly fees should be in a dramatically reduced sliding scale. My unit is a little over 8 years old and has never had anything done to it as far as repairs or maintenance. It's been paid for 3 or 4 times over at $35 a week for 422 weeks, nearly $15,000.

Yes, it makes me money, but it would also make me just as much money at $12 a week and I'd have an extra seven or eight thousand dollars in my pocket.

fastrod

Expert Expediter
A blatant cash grab it is and the reason they do it is simple. The carrier knows they can continue to operate if you leave because you object to the high QC costs. They also know you can not operate without a carrier to guide you so they will continue to overcharge you and you will continue to pay them whatever they want. If you really think your being screwed become an independent and have no QC fees at all. Just give that idea some thought for awhile and maybe those QC fees will not look too bad after all.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Certainly if one wants to add the expense of own authority along with the uncertainties and warts it brings then a QC is optional. For some that is the way to go. For others the uncertainties the carrier provides are preferrable, along with their warts. There is no ideal solution. If there were everyone would be doing whatever that choice is.

bobwg

Expert Expediter
Again no one is holding a gun to the head of you people that dont like the QC charges leave and go to some company that doesnt have the QC or go out on your own