RVs in the truck parking

greg334

Veteran Expediter
and here in the states you can't get two truckers to even agree that there is some problems in the industry let alone get them to stand together and actually do something about it!!

You're right, how are we going to solve these problems we face in this industry unless we pull together and it starts with what we have in common, the right to vote. Issue after issue we have let pass by and cried about it later when it really hits us.

Like this RV issue, I'm not going to stand by and let them take over the truck stops, I say no way and I am writing Levin and Stabenow to voice my opinion, no RVs thinking that they are trucks. I will demand that there are regulations for RVs who think they are trucks and for trucks who think they are RVs. We must rid ourselves of this RV attitude in this industry and it starts right now. If they want to sit in the truck area, then let them be treated as one of us. Let them too have HOS, having to get outrageous insurance and have to deal with fuel taxes like we do.

Hey cat, pass me another beer :cool:

MsSnow

Expert Expediter
Thanks all of you for your answers etc. I do agree with greg334 about calling/writing your politicians. There definitly needs to be better regulations on the drivers of these motor coaches. They scare me when they pass me drifting and then coming back over before they have cleared my front bumper.

pelicn

Veteran Expediter
I saw exactly what MsSnow described at that Flying J. Campers taking up 2 or 3 spaces so they could use their slideouts. It irritates the stuffins out of me when I see a motorhome in the truck parking side. Truckstops are "free" camping for RV'rs.
ON the "flip side" of that issue, we Expedite trucks take over the RV spots at the Flying J in Laredo....Don't we?

arkjarhead

Veteran Expediter
I saw exactly what MsSnow described at that Flying J. Campers taking up 2 or 3 spaces so they could use their slideouts. It irritates the stuffins out of me when I see a motorhome in the truck parking side. Truckstops are "free" camping for RV'rs.
ON the "flip side" of that issue, we Expedite trucks take over the RV spots at the Flying J in Laredo....Don't we?

Out of all the times I've been to Laredo I don't think I've seen an RV once. Except for the ones they use to sale tacos out of.

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
A fine example of this is the condition of some of the lots. If the front lot was as poorly kept as the back, neither an rv-er or a soccer mom would be interested in fueling their vehicle there.

As I walk through a truck lot that stinks of urine because there are a lot of slobs too lazy to go inside and use the rest room, I can understand how a travel plaza would see the RV community as an attractive customer base.

Reactions: 1 person

dieseldiva

Veteran Expediter
As I walk through a truck lot that stinks of urine because there are a lot of slobs too lazy to go inside and use the rest room, I can understand how a travel plaza would see the RV community as an attractive customer base.

Excellent point but I was thinking more of the condition of the road surfaces. :eek:

dhalltoyo

Veteran Expediter
6 Wheelers To The Back Lot

Personally, I believe the RV parking situation has little to do with "Gray Power". Plain and simple, most folks simply take the path of least resistance. Management will acknowledge that a problem (any number of problems) exists, but they do not have the character to address the offender directly. Of course, this same lack of character is prevalent in the world today. That is why we have moms and dads yelling at their kids in the checkout line, "Put that candy back, put that candy back, you better put it back...blah, blah, blah...over and over again." Funny, I can just stare at the kid and he or she will put the candy back.

I was pleasantly surprised to read that a driver would ask to park in the RV area, but realistically I believe they need to park in the back; regardless of what the non-trucking manager says. Why? Because when 6 wheeler's park out front in the RV slots, then the RV's park across 5 or more spaces designated for cars and that really creates a problem. Needless to say, 6 wheeler's can park in rear, but vans can not; therefore, when they park out front, it markedly impacts the available parking for vans.

And I do believe that RV operators should have to take some type of driving skills exam, but that will not alleviate the parking situation.

Fuel centers do not care about RV owners more than truckers. The reason they renamed their locations as Travel Centers was to attract more customers. Uh, it's called business! And, they wanted to overcome the negative stigma of the trucking industry. 30 years ago folks were glad to have a trucker stop behind them when they were broke down on the shoulder...today they lock their doors. The vulgar language, lack of personal hygiene, urine bottles, etc. have given the industry a black eye. Calling a truck stop a travel center makes it seem more user friendly.

bigjoep89

Expert Expediter
Yep that,t what I want to do when I grow up! Get a RV and hang out at truck stops!
HAPPY BIRTHDAY MsSnow!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TRUCKMNGR

Seasoned Expediter
What would they think?

If a driver came rumbling into a KOA with Jake brake wide open asking them to move so he could park a 53' wagon.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Has anyone had problems with RVers in the truck parking taking up 2 or 3 parking spots so they can open up their extentions?

If an RV’er wants to slide out the dining room then they should be in an RV campground. Otherwise they have a right to park in the truck lot unless an RV lot is provided. Most Flying J’s have ample space marked off for Rvs in the auto lot.

I have a question: Has anyone had problems with trucks parking in the auto/RV lot taking up 6 or 8 spaces or tractor/trailers taking up even more real estate? I will cut some slack for the driver pulling a set of joints that just runs in for coffee or to use the restroom and then leaves. Chance are if he/she pulled into the truck lot some moron would be parked in the “special” end of row parking spot blocking forward movement.

If the front lot was as poorly kept as the back, neither an rv-er or a soccer mom would be interested in fueling their vehicle there.

Haven’t seen many soccer moms squatting next to their minivan while relieving themselves. Maybe they do it in the back lot with the truckers. I think that is also where they toss their urine jugs, fast food bags, empty gallon oil jugs, assorted other cab garbage, broken pallets, rotting potatoes and grain, fried tire casings, etc.

The so-called truck stops seem to forget what side of the bread their butter is on. They change their names to "travel centers" and proceed to put the needs of "the travelers" over the needs of the very drivers that keep them in the money.

Their bread is buttered on the side that contacts the floor just like everybody else’s bread. We are all travelers, in life and on the road. Can’t we all get along?

I love you.
You love me.
We're a happy family.
With a knickknack patty whack
give the man a pan.
I think we should ban the VAN!

60MPH

Expert Expediter
Have any of ya'll noticed that since these super rv's hit the sceen that alot of the interstate campgrounds are closing down because people just will go to the J for free. I hate that the J is so friendly to them and I have been asked to move my van more than one time so they could either get in or get out "I do not move my van" Those that know me on here know I am a a$$hol@ and I belive if they parked that thing the way they did then it's there problem getting it out. Every time they ask me to move so they can park "and take up 7 to 10 spaces" I tell them I will look online for a campground for them and this usually makes them mad and they walk away or better yet complain to the manager on duty. I have had the manager come and ask me to move so they can park "carlisle PA. & franklin KY." And I tell him no why should I move so they can take up all those spaces I am only taking up 1 and that leaves like 8 other spots for customers to be able to park and spend money in you resturant I always tell them that 10 cars will spend more than 1 motorhome with 2 people in it. The manager at franklin told me to leave if I would not move and so I did went across the street to the marathon and I have not been back in that J since. I called the J's customer service and told them what happened and they could not belive that I was not willing to move down a couple of spaces. I told them that they are a truckstop and not a campground and that expediters spend more in food and fuel yearly at the J's then a couple of motorhomes that don't know how to park. I don't have a problem with the rv's that park in the rv spots that's what there their for. If they pull in and all the rv spot's are full then do what trucks have to do go on down the road until you find somewhere to park:mad: