RVs in the truck parking

MsSnow

Expert Expediter
Has anyone had problems with RVers in the truck parking taking up 2 or 3 parking spots so they can open up their extentions?

Recently was at the J in Ruther Glen, VA pulled in in the middle of the night and had to do three round in the lot because of all the RVs taking up 3 spots. The next AM had an RVer beating on my truck wanting me to move so he could drive thru. He couldn't back his 50' rig with a car in tow up. I told him no I was on a manditory 10 hour break. He continued to harass me for an hour. He then gave up unhooked his car and backed out.

Now. now being in a 6 wheeler I sometimes park in the front lot where the RVs park but always go in and check with a manager to make sure its going to be ok.

Trucks have few enough options for parking without having to fight with RVers for a place in a TRUCK STOP.

MsSnow
FedEx Custom Critical

butterfly610

Veteran Expediter
Or how about the ones in a pickup pulling a camper? Gotta love them. No spots, and they take the last ones cause they can't just go somewhere regular that they'll fit into. We try and be curteous to the big trucks and get the spots we know they either can't get or would really have a hard time getting, instead of just pulling in one that might be the only one left they can get to. Or there's always pullling out front if that's an option. Just helps them out a little.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Ruthers Glen is always bad for RVers notice most of them are Quebecers!! That and Milford PA...We go over to the Petro out front lots of room and the Wendys closes early and no one says anything....and NO RV's....

P.S. The coffees better at the Petro anyways!

greg334

Veteran Expediter
I think the RV attitude is such that many think that they have the privilege to park where ever they want to. I have had a few ask me to move and only once I moved - that was because they struggled for 30 minutes to get out then asked nicely and talked to me for 10 minutes then thanked me.

Once I watched one guy who had three people trying to direct him out of the spot (my God all he had to do is pull forward and cut it hard) but ended up taking the fender off a truck.

It is a simple case now that my hours are more important than their vacation, because my work is no vacation.

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
Takes all kinds you know. I don't even STAY at a truck stop with my truck, let alone the camping machine.

Must be something about those truck stops that I have not figgured out yet.

Boy, would I love to have one of em wake me up so's he could get out, he'd probably think a boxing glove factory blew up.

buckeyewildman

Seasoned Expediter
i have never had one ask me to move so he could get out but i actually had one knock on my van late at night to ask me to move so he could park under the trees in west memphis j needless to say i was not very happy

arkjarhead

Veteran Expediter
RVers are the reason I quite using Flying J period. They care more about them than they do truckers. Them RVs really scare me on the highway. Most of them people have no business driving a vehicle of that size anyway, plus all it takes is enough money/credit to buy one and you are permited to drive it. If you ask me they should have to take a special test to be permitted to drive those things just like truckers do. Trust me an rv can cause just as much damage as a big truck.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
RVers are another HUGE lobby group...Gray power is huge. I fuel with quite a few of them and those $500,000 buses with car and/or trailer in tow and they are mostly retired military officers.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
RVers are another HUGE lobby group...Gray power is huge. I fuel with quite a few of them and those $500,000 buses with car and/or trailer in tow and they are mostly retired military officers.

Let's see, I preach involvement and there are more trucks on the road than RVs so what could be the problem with my point of view? Thanks OVM:)

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Greg and your point of view is:

Politics is a game of engagement

In order for you to change something you don’t like, to change something for the betterment of your country or to change just for the need of change, you must be involved, engaged and vocal.

So don’t blame me if Congress passes laws that affect you, your family or your rights

Be Engaged!

???

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Yep, you say that the gray's have more lobbying power because why?

I fully agree with you on this but what the point is (which you already got) is that there are more of 'us' than 'them' but they are more vocal, right?

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Greg ..I don't know about gray power here in the U.S. but in Canada the Gov doesn't try to play games with them...Many years ago the Feds wanted to index thier pensions and about 100,000 showed up in Ottawa soooo many chartered buses that tied up traffic the feds backed off. Theres power in numbers! THEY were involved.
The grays of the older generation didn't take the crap the grays of to-day take...The older grays demanded responsible government and usually got it.

Also the grays of yesteryear also voted each and every time...they valued thier vote They died for the vote.

Last edited:

buckeyewildman

Seasoned Expediter
they are more vocal then us exactly
so why don,t we all get smart and be more vocal i have said this before and i will say it again we have no one to blame but ourselves we need to vote i know alot of us probaly do but we all need to and we need to get on the phone to the state house or to washington and yell scream rant rave whatever it takes

buckeyewildman

Seasoned Expediter
Greg ..I don't know about gray power here in the U.S. but in Canada the Gov doesn't try to play games with them...Many years ago the Feds wanted to index thier pensions and about 100,000 showed up in Ottawa soooo many chartered buses that tied up traffic the feds backed off. Theres power in numbers! THEY were involved.
The grays of the older generation didn't take the crap the grays of to-day take...The older grays demanded responsible government and usually got it.

i agree every one needs to demand responsibilty from our goverment

greg334

Veteran Expediter
WOW, ok I see something is working here.

OVM, the gray's here are getting lazy as the depression/ww2 group is diminishing. I remember a visit I made to DC a long time ago where there was a gray group in the senate office building demanding to see their senator - they were not happy about some local thing and drove from Florida to DC and really raised h*ll. When ever I see the movie 'Distinguished Gentleman', it reminds me of the old ladies with the walkers pushing people out of the way.

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
I don't think we need to vote as much as we need to lobby. Voting doesn't mean squat when the person you vote for is ready to toss you aside like a $3 hooker. But if one of us has the president's ear, and tells him, "Mr President... we're all taking a two week vacation starting next week. Oh... btw... the country will shut down while we're off." ... get my meaning?

dieseldiva

Veteran Expediter
Pardon but could we get back on topic, maybe some of these should be moved to the soapbox forum??

Has anyone had problems with RVers in the truck parking taking up 2 or 3 parking spots so they can open up their extentions?

Recently was at the J in Ruther Glen, VA pulled in in the middle of the night and had to do three round in the lot because of all the RVs taking up 3 spots. The next AM had an RVer beating on my truck wanting me to move so he could drive thru. He couldn't back his 50' rig with a car in tow up. I told him no I was on a manditory 10 hour break. He continued to harass me for an hour. He then gave up unhooked his car and backed out.

Now. now being in a 6 wheeler I sometimes park in the front lot where the RVs park but always go in and check with a manager to make sure its going to be ok.

Trucks have few enough options for parking without having to fight with RVers for a place in a TRUCK STOP.

MsSnow
FedEx Custom Critical

You're right, the RVers can be a pain in the you know what. I haven't seen what you describe here but can imagine how frustrated you must have been.

While some J's (Phoenix) will not allow straight trucks in the back lot taking t/t spots, it's hard to imagine them asking the rv to move.

The so-called truck stops seem to forget what side of the bread their butter is on. They change their names to "travel centers" and proceed to put the needs of "the travelers" over the needs of the very drivers that keep them in the money.

A fine example of this is the condition of some of the lots. If the front lot was as poorly kept as the back, neither an rv-er or a soccer mom would be interested in fueling their vehicle there.

Some have no interest in improving the conditions of their showers, used by drivers only. Nor do they care too much about what goes on in their eateries, after all, those drivers are pretty much stuck here and they'll take whatever they can get!

Same could be said about some retailers. Not just Wally World but some of the others also will allow a lot full of rv-ers and enforce the "no trucks" rules.

I could go on and on but to no avail...you already witness the same thing I do everyday.

R

riverrat

Also the grays of yesteryear also voted each and every time...they valued thier vote They died for the vote.
and here in the states you can't get two truckers to even agree that there is some problems in the industry let alone get them to stand together and actually do something about it!!