Retirement Benefits for Expediters

ATeam

Retired Expediter
An historic event happened today that has negative implications for anyone counting on social security to fund one's retirement in the future. The event: America's first baby boomer applied for benefits. That put the spotlight on several facts. A FoxNews.com news story excerpt follows:

David Walker, the comptroller general of the Government Accountability Office, Congress' legislative arm, warned the Social Security system will soon have more recipients coming than it can afford to pay out.

"We face a tsunami of spending due primarily to the retirement of the baby boom generation and rising health care costs," Walker said. "So what's happened is we've gone from 16 workers paying into Social Security for every person drawing benefits in 1950 to 3.3 to one today, and we're going down to two to one by the time the boomers retire in big numbers and that's about where it will stay over the long run."

"We're going to have tens of thousands of baby boomers retiring every week over the next decade or so and that means that by time we get to 2017, just 10 years away, we will no longer be collecting enough payroll taxes to pay Social Security benefits," said former Minnesota Democratic Rep. Tim Penny.

Under current law, Social Security won't have enough money to pay promised benefits in 2041 but there is another crunch much, much sooner, the result of the the federal government relying on Social Security to pay for its annual spending.

When Social Security gets payroll taxes it pays out most of the money in benefits. The rest is supposed to go into a trust fund. Instead the government has been spending the money on other government programs, and putting IOUs into the trust. When Social Security needs the money it'll turn to the government waiting for the payback. But the government won't likely have any.

"This money has been borrowed, it's been spent, and there's no easy way to put it back," Penney said.

Full story: http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,301997,00.html

As one on the tail end of the baby boom, I do not expect to receive a dime in social security benefits. My eligibility date has already been pushed ahead a couple years by previous social security "reform" actions. By the time I am old enough to collect them, my benefits will be reformed out of existence.

It seems to me that personal savings and investment is the only option we have if self-employed expediters want to enjoy something more than a hand-to-mouth existence after we grow too old to work.

If you're financial plans for retirement depend on social security and you are under 55 years old, I suggest you make new plans.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
I seen a similar story tonight with the same woman on NBC Nightly News.
Very true that one will need that personal nest egg, rather than banking on Social Security.
Like Phil, I don't expect a dime. We have been lucky (there's that "L" word again) because we have many business interests outside of expediting. It also doesn't hurt that we have pensions/retirement from other industries to ease the possible pain.
Every expediter should be enrolled in a Roth and or 401K plan for the self employed. At the point you decide it is unaffordable, I would say you are in the wrong profession, or at a minimum, the wrong carrier.
A carriers last thought is whether YOU would have ENOUGH money to retire comfortably.

Davekc
owner
23 years
PantherII
EO moderator

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Today, I saw this on the news and made the comment to my father that the best thing for us the people who are working now and won't reach the retirement age of 68 or what ever at that time is either to find alternatives to the tax system, to be able to opt out of it or to close it off for people at my age but to continue to pay for it.

Social Security for the elderly and retirees is alright but for people who are part of the modern era of life, may as well get serious about savings. Remember as much as we are told we are entitled to the money we put into the system, we are not entitled to a dime of it. Like Phil I don't think that I will ever collect a dime and have that attitude that it is like all the other tax money, it is gone and never to return.

But with that said, we as a nation are at the bottom of the list when it comes to savings, and our inability to save has been reduced by deducting money in our paychecks (something that we as expediters don't do) and it is put into an investment program for us. For this reason alone, I would like to see the change in our tax system to help us as a country and not punish success.

Phil, have you looked at the FairTax? I really feel that this would solve a lot of problems for all of us by not taxing the outcome of labor or investments. It seems to me that taxing things like investment defeats the purpose of investing for the future.

Oh just a slight FYI, the GAO which name was changed for some reason is not the congresses legislative arm, it is the accountability end of congress and open to the use of all three branches - there I am done with the civics lesson.

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
This scenario has been talked about for many years. When push comes to shove they will raise the SS contributions from the present high of $99,500 salary to maybe a Million or unlimited. Then the age when you are elgible to start drawing benefits will icrease to about 72 or so.

But as Dave and Phil pointed out best to look out for yourself. We made our nest egg with Qualcomm stock plus others and lived conseratively. We had a W/G truck but it was far from being a $255,000 unit. Ours was about $198,000 less but it earned the same money.

I would look into paying your own retirement nest egg first before you pay for bells and whistles. There are Mutual Funds from Vanguard that pay a healthy 5-6% with Government securities that are very low risk.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
This is as much a political issue as financial, having to do with the fiscal irresponsibility of the government, and as such should probably have been posted on the Soapbox.
That said, I have to wonder how we've become such a nation of sheep, that when the government says "We took your money for many years, promising to return it, when you need it, but, hey - we just couldn't keep our hands off. Now, it's all gone, so sorry. We suggest you make alternate plans, ok?" we decide we'd better make alternate plans.
Why are they exempt from the doctrine of responsibility for ones actions? Why aren't we demanding that they honor their promises?

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Future Social Security will become a carbon copy of the toll roads.
Everyone paid a toll for the road to be built. Now they want to not only charge a toll to maintain it, but to provide income for a foreign company to buy it. And of course, charge a toll to repeat the process.
I really see little difference. Like every other government program.....a total failure. Just wait until FREE....ummm????health care.

Davekc
owner
23 years
PantherII
EO moderator

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Unless there's a revolution and all the elected are forced to be part of SS there will be no solution. They have their own golden plan so ours doesn't matter. We definitely need to be looking out for ourselves. We also need to support the revolution if it comes.

Leo Bricker, 73's K5LDB
OOIDA Life Member 677319, JOIN NOW
Owner, Panther trucks 5508, 5509, 5641
EO Forum Moderator
----------
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

arkjarhead

Veteran Expediter
there will be no revolution because there isn't enough people willing to reach down and grab a pair and do something. Everyone wants to talk. I reminded of a country western song. A little less talk and a lot more action.

davebeckym

Expert Expediter
I vote to print more money. :+

And Medicare goes broke even sooner.

They will probably look at all that tax free Roth income and say "We could tax that and save Social Security". I hope not, but one things for sure, taxes are going to go up.

Caldonna

Expert Expediter
Hey, Phil, just wondering if you were a Dave Ramsey follower? We just recently started listening to him on satellite radio and a lot of what I hear there I read from you here. Or is it just plain ol' common sense, like Ramsey himself says?

ATeam

Retired Expediter
>Hey, Phil, just wondering if you were a Dave Ramsey
>follower? We just recently started listening to him on
>satellite radio and a lot of what I hear there I read from
>you here. Or is it just plain ol' common sense, like Ramsey
>himself says?

I know nothing of Dave Ramsey except what I read about him here in the Open Forum. We have Sirius radio, not XM. I understand Ramsey is on XM. From what I gather, he advocates debt-free living, is that correct? Debt-free makes sense to us. I hate the power other people have over you when you owe them money. If you are not careful with debt, you can end up sending their kids to college instead of your own.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Either satellite is good for listening to Dave Ramsey as follows:

XM Satellite Radio Mon-Fri
Channel 165, 3-7pm EST

Sirius Satellite Radio Mon-Fri
Channel 161, 9pm-12Midnight EST

Leo Bricker, 73's K5LDB
OOIDA Life Member 677319, JOIN NOW
Owner, Panther trucks 5508, 5509, 5641
EO Forum Moderator
----------
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

pelicn

Veteran Expediter
Leo, thanks for posting the time/channel for Dave Ramsey. Since Midnight Trucking Radio moved into his time slot on 171 I hadn't had the chance to find him again.

Caldonna

Expert Expediter
Phil,
yeah, very much a debt-free living guy. He rails on the credit card companies especially, basically says that they are immoral in the way they prey on people's ignorance and lack of financial discipline. Also a Christian, but, as he puts it, a lot of Christians think he doesn't talk about it enough, and nonchristians think he shouldn't talk about it at all. Might want to give him a listen, though I think you are already doing nearly everything he is talking about.