Response to Ateam's avoid this section.

flattop40

Expert Expediter
Was going to respond to it directly when after like 5 tries I realized he had posted it in the fedex section.

His post was about a section of us-40 that cuts across between I-70 and I-68 in Maryland. Yes it does save about 30 miles but extremely rough. Up one mountain then down the next dotted with several areas of 35mph and several sections with truck restrictions of 10mph. I ran this section early friday morning in the dark and had to have my hands pulled from the steering wheel when I finally made I-68. I would advise to stay on I-70 or visa versa and eat the extra 30 miles.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
If you are headed to certain points west out of Maryland, our carrier's routing software will send you onto U.S. 40 in Pennsylvania, if you choose to follow the routing. Key words, "choose to follow." Diane and I did so for the first time last week. It will aslo be the last time. Photos and details in my Edited.

I thought the same thing when I read it but I think after reading the key words "our carrier's routing software", it was directed to the people at FedEx who come to depend on the software at the company that doesn't apply to others who are not with FedEx.

With that said, FedEx routed me and my nice hazmat load through Pittsburgh where I wasn't supposed to go. They quoted the customer based on the load not being a hazmat load rigbht from the start. I thought that they fixed all of these problems. I guess it says a lot to get the map out and do it yourself.

Last edited:

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Phil, I am MORE than aware of that stretch of mountain. My family is from Uniontown, near the bottom. One town over from Hopwood PA which is at the bottom. I NEVER use that routing even though it is 100% better than it was when I was learning how to drive. I was raised in Michigan but my dad, mom were from there. I cut my driving teeth on that road. Back then it was one lane in each direction and, when headed west, it dumped you right in the town of Hopwood. Many truckers were killed on that road prior to the fix that is in place now. You are correct to warn everyone away from that part of I40. It can kill. There was one story that my family used to talk about when a logging truck lost it's brakes comming down that mountain. It came barrelling into Hopwood with no chance of getting stopped. His lives and many towns peoples lives were in danger. The local town cop put his cruiser, the only one the town had, in front of the truck and then used his car to brake the logging truck. The cruiser was totalled, the cop and truck driver un-hurt. Those days are gone thanks to the by-pass that went in maybe 20 years ago. It is STILL very dangerous, STAY AWAY!! Layoutshooter

DougTravels

Not a Member
I've run that stretch once. It is especially dangerous, I would never run it again only because I have already seen it. If you are ever through there and the weather is good and your truck is tip top, and you want to see some beautful scenery, it is a really beautiful drive. I guess it all depends on you, if you like a little adventure it is a very neat drive. I understand A-teams words of caution he is quite right, it won't save you time or money and it is a challenge trying to keep your speed near 10mph.

My favorite drive was going to Phoenix, (I was a very new driver) I went south out of Moriarty, NM down to 60 and ran it all the way to Phoenix. If I remember right there were some areas that I was real worried (No trucks). So I would never do this again, with that said it was the most memorable day I have had as a driver. I went through Pietown, NM in route. Has anyone else ever went that way? I can't remember if that was the run with the (No Truck) signs or not, but I am leaning towards yes. Here are a few pics I took that day.PICT0005_0.jpg

PICT0012_0.jpg

PICT0014-1.jpg

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
We also made the made that mistake of following that route once and never again! I have to admit while Bob fought with the road I really did enjoy the scenery! It is a stretch of road where your experience is the best teacher. It is also a stretch of road that teaches a new driver why the suggested route is not always the best route!

I cannot even imagine taking that road in the winter with snow on the ground.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
Another section of road to avoid is in Arizona and we were routed this way with US Xpress with a 40,000lb load on. The Salt Water Canyon on Hwy 60 starting in Globe AZ going north east. We would not take that stretch of road again in our straight truck and I would really have to consider the other possibilities in a car. It is an amazing ride straight up switch backs and straight down switch backs.

DougTravels

Not a Member
That 60 in Arizona, Salt River Canyon is where I took 2 of those 3 pics that I put in that earlier post in this thread.

moose

Veteran Expediter
On the same note as DT,

if you need to go from El-paso to OKC , (not the other way)
you can take the 180 E , NE to the 385 to Lubbock to armadillo .

same time , same fuel as Ft, worth.

El Capitan peak is a must see.

(and also on the same route i fund mountains that reminded me of my girlfriends ...)

Moose.

Last edited:

pelicn

Veteran Expediter
When we lived in Albuquerque, we decided to take a road trip (before we became truck drivers) we went through Pie Town and took a little road just outside of town. (NM 603) to (NM36) to (NM 117) For the next 3 hours we were in the middle of absolute NOWHERE, no houses, no people, no nuttin. Ended up just south of I-40 at Grants.
Although it was beautiful, I can't imagine making that trip in a truck. :eek: