Requirements for Fed Ex CC

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
We are not a white glove truck. Our load count is up, our rate per mile (all miles) is up. Actually our all miles rate average is higher than our competitors loaded mileage rate. We are happy.:)
Those low paying load opps can simply be declined. And I agree with Team Caffee. A buck a mile going near home beats a 600 mile deadhead any day.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
As it has always been. FDCC suits some, not others. Same with Panther, etc. As long as FDCC suits OUR business needs we will stay. IF we get a better deal, WE BE GONE!. Simple.

King780

Seasoned Expediter
I talked sent an e-mail into them and received a phone call from a recruiter. Right now I am going to pursue other opportunities. I appreciate the information and help you fellow forum members have given me.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
I have not talked to any FCC drivers who want to see FCC go to a flat rate as Panther has. While we might get irritated at the low offers we sure the heck get excited about the high offers and those are not usually discussed on an open forum.

Bring up flat rate even to the most irritated contractor and they start cringing. Some day FCC might have to go with the Flat Rate to stop the cherry pickers but until then I will enjoy saying to a load that pays over 2.00 a miles and weighs less than 100 lbs and goes across the country.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
But Linda, cherry picking is a term so so out of place when you are talking about load offers. IT is about business and how it serves the person to run their business as they want to, not to conform to the needs of the bean counters who sit above the dispatchers (so to speak) and worry about acceptance rates and such.

May be 14 offers turned down sounds acceptable to you but it shouldn't be. I assume that you know why I say that but for others it is a clear indication that there is a mis-step within the organization and a failure to maintain a specific rate level that keeps trucks rolling.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
Greg I disagree somewhat.

I see it that we have to have our core customers and yep they are discount customers. We need to service these customers as well as the customer that calls up on the phone is a panic and does have the discounted rate. I am talking Surface here not T-Val or Refrigerated as I do not know about their offers. We have our bottom line and our bottom line just changed somewhat due to the new truck. The rate we need is not the same as everyone due to the nature of our business as well as our life style on the road and while at home.

I feel as if I am beating a DEAD horse here in that when people talk about rates they talk about ALL miles not just loaded miles. I believe at Landstar you see loaded miles and then you calculate your dead head miles on your own correct? If we would compare apples to apples the rates on many loads would be great and acceptable to almost the whole fleet. We are not usually sitting on top of a load and our dead head is often in the hundreds of miles and that has to be taken into consideration. The dead head can kill a great load.

One of the problems is the size of the fleet if we have to many trucks we do not get the offers as there are trucks sitting on the loads. Now the fleet is smaller and the dispatchers have to reach out further to find someone to cover the load. Now what if the load is a discount load? The Cherry Picker is sitting on the load and refuses it and they will not run that type of load for any price. Now the dispatcher is reaching further out or the load goes to an outside carrier and we all lose out.

If in six years turning down fourteen loads or even more then one load a day was common heck yes I would be looking for a new carrier as the carrier is not able to cover our basic needs.

I am sure FCC is not the only carrier to have discount customers. I know that depending on how much of a discount a customer gets that FCC will take less of a cut to bring the rate per mile up. I see FCC's goal is to keep trucks moving as that is also how they make their money.

iceroadtrucker

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Easytrader. Business is business fuel is up and that is a fact. Its plain and simple if I cant down load to the card enough money to pay for the fuel and the tolls I dont do the load. Plain and simple.

If the Company is in a bind and can make a deal like give me a back up load outa there so I can recoup a loss to save a customer I have quite often been known to go and do it.

Some would consider that being a Undercutter. I look at it this way if.
A Bird in the hand is worth 2 in the Bush.
Get my drift.

Elephants Never forget. Nor do Purple Dinos!!!!

ATeam

Retired Expediter
I talk to other FECC drivers all the time and I have never had one tell me how great the new dispatch system is.

LOL. The man has a point.

There was company talk early on about how the new dispatch system would help agents respond quickly to customers, thereby keeping them from calling the competition while waiting for an answer. That may be true but I wonder how true that really is. I would think that people who are professional buyers of transportation services would be pretty good at shopping price before committing to the load.

After the system came online, the 2 a.m. offers for loads picking up twelve hours later or more undercut the notion that sending offers to multiple trucks at once has the claimed competitive advantage. More sense it made that sending offers to multiple trucks at once lightened the load on dispatch and thereby produced in-house cost savings.

That said, the 2 a.m. offers have all but disappeared (at least in this truck), and staff seems to have been ramped up, as seen in the speed with our incoming phone calls are once again answered.

As with many things this company has done, they are trying, tweeking, trying again, tweeking again, etc. Contractors adapt or leave, depending on what makes sense to them.

Last edited:

BigWheeler

Seasoned Expediter
I am glad I am with Fed-Ex CC. I have been profitable, and remain profitable. I am so glad to see so many comments from guys that are with other companies or " there own "having such opinions. I do not know who they have been talking to or where there vast knowledge of Fed-ex comes from, but I encourage you to try the numbers that were given here or send me a message with either E-mail or phone # I would be glad to assist you in anyway possible.

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
Looks like Kevin has listened to how I made money at FDCC.My policy when I was there,If the 45% advance wouldnt get me enough money to pick up the load,deliver the load,and then get me to my layover,that load got turned down.You cant take any loads that will cause you to operate in the red.Thats bad business.I made alot of money at FDCC,and have nothing bad to report on them,even though I'm not there anylonger.I just quit Tri State,but it wasn't over anything bad about the company.It was covered in another thread.I dont know what your driving,but if in a tractor,hopefully a team,expedite is a tough business for solos,especially those driving tractor trailers.Both Tri State,and FDCC will fill your bank account with profits.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
I am glad I am with Fed-Ex CC. I have been profitable, and remain profitable. I am so glad to see so many comments from guys that are with other companies or " there own "having such opinions. I do not know who they have been talking to or where there vast knowledge of Fed-ex comes from, but I encourage you to try the numbers that were given here or send me a message with either E-mail or phone # I would be glad to assist you in anyway possible.

Might want to reread this thread. The 28 turn downs are from Easytrader who IS with Fedex. Even the "outsiders" can see the lunacy in that.

BigWheeler

Seasoned Expediter
What was the original question? It was about requirements to get on with Fed-Ex CC not how bad they are etc... Either you have info for him or you do not.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
I see it that we have to have our core customers and yep they are discount customers. We need to service these customers as well as the customer that calls up on the phone is a panic and does have the discounted rate.

Why is it that discount customers get to protect their bottom line by negotiating lower rates but contractors cannot do the same by negotiating higher pay? Why is it that our carrier is happy to talk to us about serving the customer but is unwilling to take a loss on a load?

Actually, that's not the way it is, at least not with this truck. Diane and I are happy to do most loads if the money is right. But in general, if the freight don't pay, we don't play. This principle has kept us in business, leaving us available to serve well our carrier and customers who would run us for free if they thought they could.

When the Great Recession put downward pressure on rates, no carrier and no customer contacted us and asked if it would be OK if rates were cut. No one promised us better treatment in the future if we worked with them when they wanted more for less. Loyalty is a two way street. I am as sympathetic to their needs as they have been to mine.

Financially successful contractors are as zealous about protecting their bottom lines as carriers and customers are about protecting theirs.

I should add, that not every discount is so low that it puts us in a money-losing situation. If we can make an acceptable profit hauling discounted freight, that works for us.

Last edited:

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
WE play for PROFIT!! We are NOT in business to be paid tourists. We constantly are changing what we are willing to accept to stay in the black.

There is only ONE thing that never changes and that is the fact that everything is always changing. You have to be quick and change with it.

EASYTRADER

Expert Expediter
BTW
My post was a direct answer to the thread question on miles availble. I stand by my answer FECC will give you all the miles you can handle and then some more. If youre willing to run cheap. If not then you have to do the expedite thing and sit untill a good run pops out. I really dont get all the sensitivity around a reality check post. Lighten up!!!

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

greg334

Veteran Expediter
I see it that we have to have our core customers and yep they are discount customers. We need to service these customers as well as the customer that calls up on the phone is a panic and does have the discounted rate. I am talking Surface here not T-Val or Refrigerated as I do not know about their offers. We have our bottom line and our bottom line just changed somewhat due to the new truck. The rate we need is not the same as everyone due to the nature of our business as well as our life style on the road and while at home.

Core customers or not, discounting rates to the customer should be disconnected to discounting offers to the contractors. I know I'm not wrong with this point but if they are willing to offer a contractor an all inclusive rate of $1.45 per mile but a outside third party a rate of $1.75 per mile, it raises the serious question on how they look at the relationship with the contractor not that of with the customer - an important point. Another important point is the madness of the dispatch system, as much as a lot of the cheerleaders want to tell everyone that it is alright, it begs a very important question about the management style of the group and how they view the contractor - as a child or as a business person. I wondered about if they view the customer the same way. With more than 10 offers in a day, all sub-prime offers and many below the operating level of contractors, it appears that they don't care not that they don't know what the fleet operating average rate is and how to select the right rate to maintain that number.

I feel as if I am beating a DEAD horse here in that when people talk about rates they talk about ALL miles not just loaded miles. I believe at Landstar you see loaded miles and then you calculate your dead head miles on your own correct? If we would compare apples to apples the rates on many loads would be great and acceptable to almost the whole fleet. We are not usually sitting on top of a load and our dead head is often in the hundreds of miles and that has to be taken into consideration. The dead head can kill a great load.

I understand the point but it isn't about the dh, it is about the company using the tools they have to move the trucks they have at a rate that allows the trucks to make money. Landstar is a different system, it has not one source for the contractor but over 1500 sources for the contractor. If one wasn't able to find work in that system, IF they wanted to work, then it is their fault - which I admit that I fell into that group.

One of the problems is the size of the fleet if we have to many trucks we do not get the offers as there are trucks sitting on the loads. Now the fleet is smaller and the dispatchers have to reach out further to find someone to cover the load. Now what if the load is a discount load? The Cherry Picker is sitting on the load and refuses it and they will not run that type of load for any price. Now the dispatcher is reaching further out or the load goes to an outside carrier and we all lose out.

I don't see the issue with fleet size and FedEx, their internal sources of work is greater than any other company on the planet but they can't move more than 60% of their trucks at any day of the week makes no sense at all. It isn't that they need to have trucks sitting on the loads but rather improvements in management to take a proactive approach to using internal sources to find work. CC seems to be still disconnected for some reason.

If in six years turning down fourteen loads or even more then one load a day was common heck yes I would be looking for a new carrier as the carrier is not able to cover our basic needs.

Turning down 14 loads in one day should be a good indicator of what's going on.

I am sure FCC is not the only carrier to have discount customers. I know that depending on how much of a discount a customer gets that FCC will take less of a cut to bring the rate per mile up. I see FCC's goal is to keep trucks moving as that is also how they make their money.

True but why does it have to affect the contractor while serving the customer?

I don't see that as any goal, it may be stated to the CC contractors but it isn't the case with the amount of work they have at any given moment and the small size of the fleet they have at CC

Why is it that discount customers get to protect their bottom line by negotiating lower rates but contractors cannot do the same by negotiating higher pay? Why is it that our carrier is happy to talk to us about serving the customer but is unwilling to take a loss on a load?
These are important questions that seem to be what I'm driving at (sure Phil you don't read my posts?).

iceroadtrucker

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Looks like Kevin has listened to how I made money at FDCC.My policy when I was there,If the 45% advance wouldnt get me enough money to pick up the load,deliver the load,and then get me to my layover,that load got turned down.

Yup but one thing nite I go on the 40%.

Bingo.

pjjjjj

Veteran Expediter
.....Landstar is a different system, it has not one source for the contractor but over 1500 sources for the contractor. If one wasn't able to find work in that system, IF they wanted to work, then it is their fault - which I admit that I fell into that group.

greg334 you have often alluded to this, but I don't believe you have ever revealed what exactly changed for you. Can you elaborate as to what has changed to allow you to become successful within the Landstar system and what it was that you were doing differently in the past that you are now saying was your own fault?

pjjjjj

Veteran Expediter
I talked sent an e-mail into them and received a phone call from a recruiter. Right now I am going to pursue other opportunities. I appreciate the information and help you fellow forum members have given me.

King780 can you share what caused you to decide to pursue other opportunities and do you mean with other expediting companies, or other business ventures all together?

Last edited: