Requirements for Fed Ex CC

King780

Seasoned Expediter
I am curious as to what the requirements to get on with Fed Ex Custom Critical are? Also what kind of miles are teams averaging in the expedite industry??

KH

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
Expedite isn't about miles.If you expect to run lots of miles,you better not even get started.THe expedite companies offer a specialized service,so their pay is higher than the rest of the truck load carriers.If you want miles,most of the expedite companies now have a truck load division,pay is less,but miles are more

ATeam

Retired Expediter
If you want miles,most of the expedite companies now have a truck load division,pay is less,but miles are more

You won't make any money but we'll keep you busy doing it! Heaven forbid that you sit. Worse yet that while you are sitting you might take a few minutes to think about how everyone makes money off your truck and freight while you just keep on driving and driving and driving.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
I am curious as to what the requirements to get on with Fed Ex Custom Critical are? Also what kind of miles are teams averaging in the expedite industry??

KH

This is one of the hardest questions to answer in Expediting as if I can drive 30 miles in a week and clear $3000.00 I am fine with that.

In Expediting we need a hobby to keep our minds working while sitting as well as driving.

I would talk to a recruiter about the requirements as they can tall you more about the different programs to see if something will meet your requirements.

King780

Seasoned Expediter
I have been trying to reach recruiters all day. Can not reach one. The number wants you to leave a message. Anyone know of a contact number for people out of FL?? If I went on, I would be going to a fleet owner.

I am trying to find a fleet owner to work for. I am not qualified for panther but might be for Fed Ex.

KH

Last edited:

greg334

Veteran Expediter
D*mn, what a bunch of negitive comments. Makes me wonder if FedEx people don't want the competition in their fleet now that there may be changes to their world. :p

Look if you can't get a hold of FedEx, take a look at the wanted driver ads here on EO and talk to the owners who have trucks on with FedEx and let them call FedEx for you to get the ball rolling.

Don't worry about miles, get the idea it isn't all miles but a combination of things in this business.

AND to qualify for FedEx, outside of breathing, a good driving record, some experience in the drivers seat and a CDL for a driver.

Dabus1952

Seasoned Expediter
King If you PM me I will give you a direct # to a recruiter at Fed Ex .That is a good freind. If your looking to become a fleet driver for a o/o you might do better calling Debbie Templeton at Fed Ex who is in charge of driver placement.She will return your call if you leave her a message.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Why aren't you qualified for Panther? I have a feeling that Fedex's standards are not any lower than Panther's.

"Not qualified for Panther" is a red flag - it would be interesting to know the reason, and why you feel FedEx would see it differently. :confused:

EASYTRADER

Expert Expediter
FECC is getting out of expedite frieght and turning us all into LTL PnD units. If you want to run for 1 buck a mile total youll get all the miles you can handle. Not a day goes by where i dont turn down 4 to 20 loads that are ridiculously priced. Yesterday was a new record I turned down 27 loads. I was sitting in harrisburg va i finally accepted one for 1.37 to upstate new york. With todays fuel prices i'm looking for 1.45 to run my truck. Anyway most of the offers i TD'd were in the 1.20 range. Which is acceptable when fuel is 2.50.

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
FECC is getting out of expedite frieght and turning us all into LTL PnD units. If you want to run for 1 buck a mile total youll get all the miles you can handle. Not a day goes by where i dont turn down 4 to 20 loads that are ridiculously priced. Yesterday was a new record I turned down 27 loads. I was sitting in harrisburg va i finally accepted one for 1.37 to upstate new york. With todays fuel prices i'm looking for 1.45 to run my truck. Anyway most of the offers i TD'd were in the 1.20 range. Which is acceptable when fuel is 2.50.

May want to hook up with one of those others claiming that they make 2 to 3 per mile. Don't know I would have the patience to sit there and turn down 27 loads. That certainly bordlines on sheer madness.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
May want to hook up with one of those others claiming that they make 2 to 3 per mile. Don't know I would have the patience to sit there and turn down 27 loads. That certainly bordlines on sheer madness.

Disagree, DaveKC. Turning down 27 loads in one day is so far past the border of madness, it's well into the interior of crazy country. [I don't turn down that many in a year!]
I'd definitely be looking for a carrier who recognized that O/O's simply can't run at a loss, just because the "customer demands it."

EASYTRADER

Expert Expediter
Lol
My days are numbered here of course I ve been threatening to leave FECC for 3 years. But im fairly sure ill loose revenue if i do but then again the irritation of so many stupid offers does wear on you. I think they have really damaged thier fleet. These runs have so much deadhead on them its crazy. I find it hard to believe fecc cant cover loads without having trucks deadhead 300 400 miles.

Does anyone have figures on thier current fleet size?

pjjjjj

Veteran Expediter
FECC is getting out of expedite frieght and turning us all into LTL PnD units....
Yesterday was a new record I turned down 27 loads ......

Forgive me for commenting here about FedEx, it is not my intention to p*ss anyone off... I am just becoming more and more curious/concerned about what is going on over at the Fed.

First they change their method of offering loads so that you all receive all of them, even if you can't really have them. Someone else can be higher up on whatever queue they use... and so the load will go to someone else.. and you will never really know exactly why.. whether it was because the chosen truck was closer, higher on the list of first-outs, willing to run it for less(?), whatever.

Then they start offering flat rate contracts... ok, so that's fine, it appears to be a choice as to whether one wants to change to that system or not (?)..

Then the colors change.. to match Fedex Freight... I would imagine this would be at a substantial cost to themselves, and not just based upon someone's whim who felt like a change.

Then there are posts from OOs who say they know for sure that they were bypassed in the queue for someone who was on the flat rate system, and presumably because the flat rate guy is doing it for less.

Then reports of receiving upwards of 20 non-viable load offers in a day, and with serious deadhead involved.

I'm not sure how the freight division works, whether the drivers are also OOs or whether they are company drivers? From Fedex's perspective, it only makes sense for them to do what they can to get lots of business, and save costs in the process. If a shipment isn't a 'real' expedite load, they can have a freight guy pick up an extra couple of skids as he's passing by somewhere along his way to somewhere else, it makes the freight guy happy for the extra, and makes Fedex happy to perhaps pocket more coin, or offer a lesser price to the customer. OTOH, if they have a non-expedite shipment and a Custom Critical driver is really close to the pickup, it only makes sense to utilize that truck, instead of a freight truck, if it's much farther away. While this cross-over utilization of trucks may make sense for Fedex, it sure isn't going to be making the OOs/drivers happy. There was already enough competition.

I get uncomfortable listening to these changes taking place and wonder where this is all going to end up. It really bugs me that these large carriers don't have to think about the individual truck expenses and whether their OOs remain profitable, since there is not much investment on their part, and it's easy enough to replace a truck and driver.

msheatmiser1

Active Expediter
King 780 if you would like to talk to someone at FedEx Custom Critical please call me and we can discuss the requirements. My office number is 800-315-9456 if it goes into voice mail leave me a message and I will return your call. Looking forward to hearing from you.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
I have been wondering about some of the posts on this thread some by drivers with FedEx Custom Critical and some that are not with FedEx Custom Critical.

We have been here over six years and the most loads we have turned down in one day was 14 and most of those were due to excessive dead head. If one of those loads had been going towards our house we would have taken it as to us that is better than dead heading home on our own dime.

There are a couple of reasons to make the dispatch system look ugly and one is to turn new people away from coming on with FCC or to give people who are discouraged validity in their thoughts.

There are a few areas that we know if we are near and do not want to take those type of loads we can go out of service for a couple hours which does not hurt our dwell time or we can turn the loads down.

One of the nice things we like about FCC is the ability to put ourselves out of service for two hours and when we come back in service we have saved our place in the queue of dwell time.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
I can't really say what others motives may or not be that are contractors there. Fielding 14 or 27 load offers in a day seems excessive. It is obvious why they do it, but it would almost borderline as a safety issue in my opinion. If you came off a long run, when does one sleep while all that "load turning down" is going on? Those loads Easytrader listed are some pretty cheap bottom feeder loads. I guess someone is running them or they pop up on their broker board at the higher rate.
I imagine one could go "out of service", but that seems self defeating.
As a outsider looking in, would not help you guys to just have a "minumum rate" that you will run at and enter on the qc daily?
Seems like it would at least cut down on some of the madness.
Just a thought from an outsider.

EASYTRADER

Expert Expediter
I talk to other FECC drivers all the time and I have never had one tell me how great the new dispatch system is. It seems that the only drivers for FECC who like the system are white glove drivers who are posting here. I dont know if white gloves walks between the raindrops or what. Having said that recently i transfered a load to a whiteglover with one of those 250k super trucks and he was complaning about the same thing. He has been signed on for 2 years so he doesn't know about the good ole days.

ANYWAY all i have said about FECC is true I signed on in 2006. With a new Hino Surface D unit. I have no grudges nor do I chearlead. I have personally listened to 2 "How I went broke at FECC" from people who sought me out at truckstops while laying over. My wife claims she heard one from a lady and her husband while she was in the tv lounge. Anyway the one thing these three stories had in common was High acceptance rates. They drove themselves broke. They were all in surface units. Personally I havent gone broke almost did after the market crashed but I'm still here and yes I turn down 9 out of 10. 13 out of 14 and the other day 26 out of 28 , with one going to a different truck.

Perhaps if I had bought a 250k super truck and signed with WG my story would be different. At the time I was told they werent taking those trucks into fleet.

Anyway still curious about fleet size if anybody has that number.

EASYTRADER

Expert Expediter
LOL,
This is for the FECC chearleaders. I just receieved and accepted my first load offer of the day. 2 bucks a mile from new york to mn. That's why I haven't quit yet in spite o the retarded dispatch system.

Last edited: