Redundant questions of an expediter

usafk9

Veteran Expediter
When I was just casually spinning through the thread, I saw "Panther" and then "Vegetation Management ", and then I .......well, nevermind. I kid.

Here's an answer for one question - government clearance : yes. It's almost useless, unless your co-driver has it. That said, there are non-same-household teams that do it. Not many, but some.

Knowing what we do now, if we had to do it all over again, I'd say cutting your teeth with ES is a good move. Get every qualification you can. Do your best to get you and your driver into the best-equipped truck you can (liftgate definitely helps). The more things that you and your truck and your co-driver can do, the more opportunities to make money you'll have.

I believe it's possible to make strong money in a straight in this biz, if you position yourself well. I don't believe you have to do truckload to make that happen.

Asking questions is a good start. Dave KC is a master of the Panther maze.

Lastly, good to do set-asides for taxes, but don't forget your per diem deduction. They're significant. I would take tax advice you get on an Internet forum with a grain of salt.

Hope that helps.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
As I look through this, you may not like my answer. In one of your posts, you mention "child care". If accurate, I would not recommend expediting until the young ones are grown. They won't give two shweets that you went trucking. What they will remember is how often you were there when it mattered. Family is first and you don't want the potential dollar to cloud the vision of that. Make sure you think it through. Also, 1k in funds to start is really too low. If you were hypothetically to start within the next three weeks you are in trouble. You have to get to where the truck is, then do orientation, and any associated costs, and then start.Then followed by a pretty good slow down for many carriers due to July 4th holidays and auto plant shutdowns.
Again, better think it through or bad things can happen.

Last edited:

Twiggy

Rookie Expediter
That's a valid point.
My previous profession kept me away from home often enough so the kids are somewhat aware that I am gone from time to time. Before the kids I was gone away from my wife for months at a time.
As they get older though, your words are more valid with each passing day.
Think my wife is counting the days until she gets a break from me... Lol

Reactions: davekc

Twiggy

Rookie Expediter
As I look through this, you may not like my answer. In one of your posts, you mention "child care". If accurate, I would not recommend expediting until the young ones are grown. They won't give two shweets that you went trucking. What they will remember is how often you were there when it mattered. Family is first and you don't want the potential dollar to cloud the vision of that. Make sure you think it through. Also, 1k in funds to start is really too low. If you were hypothetically to start within the next three weeks you are in trouble. You have to get to where the truck is, then do orientation, and any associated costs, and then start.Then followed by a pretty good slow down for many carriers due to July 4th holidays and auto plant shutdowns.
Again, better think it through or bad things can happen.
I'm curious to what my cost me at orientation? My recruiters company is paying for my bus ticket and lodging. Also gave me a heads up to bring my safety vest and hardhat. Plus they are paying for food. I think I got lucky on that but if there are other costs at orientation then ode love to know. Maybe drug test/ physical?

Last edited:

jjtdrv4u

Expert Expediter
Any opinions on expediter services?
Is there also a fleet owner involved? Expediter Services leases on also to fleet owners, that in turn, are leased on with Panther. If so, you have another layer to deal with---1. fleet owner, 2. Expediter Services, 3. Panther...

Expediter Services are the "matchmaking" service, and each of the 3 levels will get their piece of the pie, leaving you and your partner with a little bit smaller piece.

You might be better off working directly for an owner that is not hooked up with Expediter Services...just saying.

Twiggy

Rookie Expediter
:(:(:( You know that is obviously a major variable. Although what I'm about to say might make some think " how gullible", upon speaking to the recruiter, he sold me on the fact that the truck is nearly brand new. One of my fears was having a truck that was less than adequate to be on the road. I've had terrible experiences with trucks before in the forestry industry that seriously almost put me in my grave. So the assurance of a proper functioning truck with some amenities makes me feel a bit more confident. But then again this guy could be :censoredsign:ting me all the way. In that case I'll just turn my ass around and head on down the road. I refuse to drive death traps. I had to learn the hard way over the years and the last truck I was given to drive had no tail lights, no TAGS!, no parking brake, had been energized in with 7.2KV in an accident, one working wiper, and had been in a rollover accident which no body damage was fixed unless you count using bungee cords to keep bins and doors closed.
The issue of % is the bummer. 5% difference is really a huge number.

jjtdrv4u

Expert Expediter
Vegetation Management. I don't think I've eve heard that term before. I would have bet money it had to do with mental institutions.

Bad Turtle, bad.
I like that term.
In our business when Materials Management or Production & Inventory Control Management or Supplier Management screws up, we are the "Screw Up Management", lol...

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Vague turtle, help a brother out. Knowledge is power.
There's really nothing specific I can give you, especially since the stupidity will be tempered by the fact you are in a straight truck. In a cargo van, the stupidity is stupendous. But don't worry, you'll recognize it when you see it. When you do, don't freak out, just go with it.

deadhead

Veteran Expediter
I've been told that straight trucks do very well out west if your truck can cut the muster with the DOT in California. Hauling, Slot out of Los Vegas often mean round trips. Hauling auto freight to and from Detroit, or even worse to Laredo, well everybody and his brother is doing that.More miles means more money so i'm told. You'll need to find a company that can offer you other options if you putting your future and money into a big rig. Go to Expedite Expo July 24 & 25th,In Wilmington Oh, all the Carriers will be there that can answer your questions. Good luck.

Reactions: Casper0418

Twiggy

Rookie Expediter
Hmm, been told by numerous people that west coast can really screw a noob. Isn't there a strike at a main port out there too.
Would be tempting if a good paying load torun out there but what about coming back east? <---redundant
Wish I could attend an expedite expo but that's not practical at this time.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Don't let the west coast scare you, not with Panther. They own logistics companies in Portland and San Francisco. Every time I went out west with Panther they kept me just as busy there as they did in the Midwest, and I drive a Sprinter. I had times where I'd deliver out west and my next load brought me right back to the "freight lanes," and I've had times where I'd spend 4-8 weeks west of the Rockies running loads before I got one back here. You can sit for a few days out west, but you can do that in Ohio, as well.

Twiggy

Rookie Expediter
The reference was to the pay, $800 to $1600 a week per person being 100% available. The miles were about 2,500 driven per driver " or so he claims."

Opel2010

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
The reference was to the pay, $800 to $1600 a week per person being 100% available. The miles were about 2,500 driven per driver " or so he claims."
Well, in that case isn't that bad, if you don't have to pay for anything. Yet, I'd rather go for 1099 than 1040...