Redundant questions of an expediter

Twiggy

Rookie Expediter
First and foremost I know that these questions have been asked countless times before and may somewhat annoy seasoned expediters. Also, I am looking for actual numbers and not vague " it depends" answers.
I am new to expediting and am supposed to be a team driver for expediter services this coming month. so instead of sounding unprepared at orientation, I'm gonna lay a few questions out on this forum.
First off, being that I have a HAZMAT endorsement, how much more typically can I expect to be offered for the load as opposed to the same distance with a non hazmat load. ( <---- worded strangely but it gets the point across ).
Second, I was told that I will make 800-1600 per week. Since I am in dire straights financially and am here to run balls to the walls if possible, how likely and how much do you think I can make being that I am new to this?
Third, I was told that their loads average out between 1.20 and 1.50 per mile, being that it's a 35/65 contract and team driver, that means I get 17% and then deduct 1/3 because it's 1099. Looking at these numbers it seems 1.20 doesn't cut it to make it if it's not maximum miles. Ex: 2500 per driver is good. Is 1.20 typical or can I expect to get higher averages. How low does it get? At 5000 miles team at below 1.20 I will not make my mortgage and childcare bills alone. Kinda worried.
Fourth, what cities should I absolutely avoid and which ones should I look to aim toward? I live in Atlanta, is atl a good spot itself?
Thank you for any information, sincerely noob

Last edited:

Twiggy

Rookie Expediter
Well those words are exactly my concern. Unfortunately with a solid work history and 10 years implementing my Cdl without incident, I am unable to find work. Job market is really crappy right now am I need an income.
I tend to catch on to patterns and being a former business owner, I'm hoping I can quickly figure out how to make the most out of this expediting venture.
I know what you are thinking " what happened to your former business?".
Well, I trusted the wrong person with a very large sum of money and that was that.
Regardless, I find myself on this forum and only ask for help.

JohnWC

Veteran Expediter
Expiditing is a hit and miss job you need to learn a lot but once you figger it out money is real good some people like the big company's and some like the small ones right now I'm sitting at 35 k after expenses single cargo van (OO) not been a good year so far

in-Transit

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I know several who drive for ES and like them a lot but more importantly what vehicle and what carrier will it be leased to?

Sent from my flying circus

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Still would appreciate any answers pertaining to my first post.

Of course you would, and we'd like rates to go up for a change, lol, but.....You aren't going to get concrete numbers, because everything is dependent on many factors. You might get a lot of hazmat loads that pay better,[depending on how the carrier and shipper see it] but you might get none at all. Atlanta may be a great spot for a month, then just dry up - it happens.
What we do is gamble, basing our bets on what experience tells us is most likely, but we all know it's still a crap shoot: anything can happen. Positioning yourself where nobody else is can pay off big, but it can result in a long wait, followed by a long deadhead, too.
There's beaucoup info already here about how to figure the percentages, you just have to slog through it, with the understanding that it all just depends. Being worried is smart, because one week down [or 2 or 3 - it happens!] for repairs [even if you don't pay for them] can put you behind the 8 ball, if you haven't a reserve to get through the down times. You still have to pay expenses, even with zero coming in. That sounds harsh, and it is - but it's reality.
On the plus side, I have never heard anything negative about Expediter Services, and I've been slogging through here for almost 15 years now. :)

paullud

Veteran Expediter
First and foremost I know that these questions have been asked countless times before and may somewhat annoy seasoned expediters. Also, I am looking for actual numbers and not vague " it depends" answers.

It seems like you already know what the answers are going to be. Why not come up with a figure that you need to make like $40k/year and ask if that is possible?

First off, being that I have a HAZMAT endorsement, how much more typically can I expect to be offered for the load as opposed to the same distance with a non hazmat load. ( <---- worded strangely but it gets the point across ).

Depends on if the load is HAZMAT. I guess it could also be possible that a driver without a HAZMAT gets offered a non-HAZMAT load before you just to keep you there in case there is the potential for a HAZMAT load to come up because you are near a certain customer.

Second, I was told that I will make 800-1600 per week. Since I am in dire straights financially and am here to run balls to the walls if possible, how likely and how much do you think I can make being that I am new to this?

I would plan to be on the very low side of that figure, maybe lower if I were you.

Third, I was told that their loads average out between 1.20 and 1.50 per mile, being that it's a 35/65 contract and team driver, that means I get 17% and then deduct 1/3 because it's 1099. Looking at these numbers it seems 1.20 doesn't cut it to make it if it's not maximum miles. Ex: 2500 per driver is good. Is 1.20 typical or can I expect to get higher averages. How low does it get? At 5000 miles team at below 1.20 I will not make my mortgage and childcare bills alone. Kinda worried.

Looking at the figures it sounds like you are going to be running a straight truck. I highly doubt that you will see 5k miles a week, even as a team. If you are looking to produce consistent, decent money quickly then you are going down the wrong path in a big way. You really need to get into the regular truckload industry but even then it will usually take a minimum of 3-6 months before you are making decent money on a regular basis.

Fourth, what cities should I absolutely avoid and which ones should I look to aim toward? I live in Atlanta, is atl a good spot itself?
Thank you for any information, sincerely noob

It's less about the city and more about how much they are paying on the load. If they are paying great money on a load to the middle of nowhere or a city to absolutely avoid you might be much better off taking it than taking the lower paying load to a good area.

Reactions: Mailer and Turtle

paullud

Veteran Expediter
Well those words are exactly my concern. Unfortunately with a solid work history and 10 years implementing my Cdl without incident, I am unable to find work. Job market is really crappy right now am I need an income.

There are ads all over the place looking for drivers and someone with a clean license and 10 years experience really shouldn't have trouble. There are plenty of ads on this site offering a 60/40 or 40/60 split depending on who pays for fuel. I would say apply to those and you could be driving next week if orientation lines up.

Reactions: Mailer

Twiggy

Rookie Expediter
Your guess was correct, I will be driving a straight truck.
Hopefully breakdowns will be very minimal being that I'm supposed to be placed in a 2014, hopefully.
My number to reach would be 30k after expenses. If I could hit this number then ide consider that a success for my first year in expedite. Being a contracted driver 1099, my only expenses will be food and clothing. Hopefully no motel rooms due to long breakdowns.
The fact that its more about the load instead of "where", is a huge piece of information. I was figuring that factor already but I think the biggest concern about that is the person I'll be partnered up with. If we get a great offer and have to deadhead back a way after that delivery in order to get back into a decent area, will this partner be willing to do business this way. I can so many ways that this can turn sour if I get matched up with a partner that isn't quite business savvy. Big picture person is my preference, no fortune overnight pipe dreamers.
I suppose it's the same when considering miles as well. More about the load rather than the miles being that I'm paid by the load.
After speaking to recruiter and asking an unusually high amount of questions that undoubtedly annoyed him, I found that he definitly inflates truth. I was actually given a number of 7,000 miles possible and he did throw in the phrase " and you don't pay taxes". That kinda threw me, because of course you pay taxes.
I can only imagine the poor folks that literally think they don't pay taxes on a 1099 and have found this great secret high paying job that nobody seems to have found.
The low side being 800 (about 512 after taxes) would actually be just fine and would be a profit. Below that and coming even would just be a learning experience, and a loss would be a " shame on me". Per driver I mean, so 1600 altogether.

mccll01

Active Expediter
Researching
If you are a 1099 (contracted), do not forget you biggest expense-----Taxes. Uncle Sam wants his cut to. So there goes another 20-30%.

Reactions: Mailer

Twiggy

Rookie Expediter
Yes, I've already calculated that deducting 36% will be a very safe number to put away for tax time.
I'm very interested in what deductions I can maximize. If anyone has any info or a website that gives accurate deduction info, I would appreciate that.

Mailer

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Yes, I've already calculated that deducting 36% will be a very safe number to put away for tax time.
I'm very interested in what deductions I can maximize. If anyone has any info or a website that gives accurate deduction info, I would appreciate that.
Here's one.
https://www.teamrunsmart.com/mobile/2480f42e-0626-4f78-a13a-85d03dbf3235/articles

Not sure, if you've already read it, there is also a tax topics listed in the the EO main forum page. Bits and pieces of info there.

Mailer

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I didn't see that, thank you

You can also post tax questions there too.

Also, if you can afford to set aside some(actually this should be a priority), IRA could help further reduce the tax liabilities.

But, you might have to estimate the figures and do some calculation first to see if the contributions will be at your advantage.

jjtdrv4u

Expert Expediter
Hey, anything that makes a few extra dollars that takes such little effort is worth it.
Expediter Services is set up with both Panther and Fedex, as I recall. Which company will you and your partner be working with? You should not have any problems making $500 a week with either one, but Expediter Services should have told you who you will be working with, since it is their truck that will be leased on to one of these expedite companies.

Twiggy

Rookie Expediter
Will be running for Panther. In fact I'm supposed to leave to orientation on the 28th assuming they find a partner with Hazmat for me by then that lives near Atlanta.

Reactions: RoadTime

jjtdrv4u

Expert Expediter
Will be running for Panther. In fact I'm supposed to leave to orientation on the 28th assuming they find a partner with Hazmat for me by then that lives near Atlanta.
Panther is good to learn the business with, a lot of us have started with them, and they have loads all over the country.
They move their straight trucks pretty well, but you may have to wait sometimes for any trucks ahead of you on their board to clear out, but you will learn all that on your own.

Good luck with the partner, oftentimes that is the biggest hurdle in running teams.

Reactions: RoadTime