Redundant questions of an expediter

Twiggy

Rookie Expediter
Yeah only expense is my own insurance which I figure would be around 150 a month. Expediter services takes a hefty chunk of % but in return is " supposedly" paying all tolls, fuel, ect..
35% split by two people sounds rough but this guy says they are running hard and the money is there. I know it's a recruiters job to sell you but everything sounds legit.

Opel2010

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Well, for the percentage they pay you, they should pay for that. Also, if you're an employee and not an independent contractor, I'm pretty sure that it's mandatory for the employer to provide the workers comp. (or occupational), unless they're from Texas (TX is the only state where is not mandatory)

deadhead

Veteran Expediter
I've been told that straight trucks do very well out west if your truck can cut the muster with the DOT in California. Hauling, Slot out of Los Vegas often mean round trips. Hauling auto freight to and from Detroit, or even worse to Laredo, well everybody and his brother is doing that.More miles means more money so i'm told. You'll need to find a company that can offer you other options if you putting your future and money into a big rig. Go to Expedite Expo July 24 & 25th,In Wilmington Oh, all the Carriers will be there that can answer your questions. Good luck.
Yeah only expense is my own insurance which I figure would be around 150 a month. Expediter services takes a hefty chunk of % but in return is " supposedly" paying all tolls, fuel, ect..
35% split by two people sounds rough but this guy says they are running hard and the money is there. I know it's a recruiters job to sell you but everything sounds legit.
Recruiter job is to get you to sign on, some time the paint they used to paint that picture fades away.Sounds like all got too do is show up,free bus ticket there,free hotel room,food,fuel paid for tolls paid for.Are they going to supply the truck or are you? I guess they are! Your cut is 17.5% of the line haul after expense? Want about Workman Comp Ins?My advice for what little its worth,is save some money go find a good used truck and find a carrier that sign you on,go into that way.$175 for 1000 miles it be hard way to make a buck.Are there any local driving job where you live at home so you can save money for your own truck? There not a lot of way to save money living on the road. Good luck what ever you do.

Twiggy

Rookie Expediter
Everything is paid, room, bus ticket ect..
I asked what they get per mile and was told 1.20 to 1.50 per mile so at 1,000 miles that would be about $200 which is still skimpy.
To be honest, I've been applying for jobs and have even applied for dishwashing jobs in desperation and for some reason can't even land that. The only job I've ever worked is forestry and my body is kinda tore up from more than at decade of that so it's not an option to go back. Seems that being Middle Aged and a solid work history in a particular niche pretty much blackballs you from employers. So, that's when I saw expediting online and became interested. Unknown it's longer hours for less pay if averaged out, but if the pay is substantial by the end of the week or year, then I'm interested.

Deville

Not a Member
First and foremost I know that these questions have been asked countless times before and may somewhat annoy seasoned expediters. Also, I am looking for actual numbers and not vague " it depends" answers.
I am new to expediting and am supposed to be a team driver for expediter services this coming month. so instead of sounding unprepared at orientation, I'm gonna lay a few questions out on this forum.
First off, being that I have a HAZMAT endorsement, how much more typically can I expect to be offered for the load as opposed to the same distance with a non hazmat load. ( <---- worded strangely but it gets the point across ).
Second, I was told that I will make 800-1600 per week. Since I am in dire straights financially and am here to run balls to the walls if possible, how likely and how much do you think I can make being that I am new to this?
Third, I was told that their loads average out between 1.20 and 1.50 per mile, being that it's a 35/65 contract and team driver, that means I get 17% and then deduct 1/3 because it's 1099. Looking at these numbers it seems 1.20 doesn't cut it to make it if it's not maximum miles. Ex: 2500 per driver is good. Is 1.20 typical or can I expect to get higher averages. How low does it get? At 5000 miles team at below 1.20 I will not make my mortgage and childcare bills alone. Kinda worried.
Fourth, what cities should I absolutely avoid and which ones should I look to aim toward? I live in Atlanta, is atl a good spot itself?
Thank you for any information, sincerely noob

I Stopped doing HAZ-MAT loads a couple of years ago. They just don't pay like they used to and not worth the risk.
$800-$1600 a week is very realistic before expenses.
I can't speak to how a team runs because I run solo
Running balls to the wall will 1. burn you out and 2. cause you to be more broke than you already are and, 3. if you take everything dispatch throws at you no questions asked you won't last 3 months.

Twiggy

Rookie Expediter
I keep hearing that, how accepting every load is super bad mojo.
When it comes to expenses, it's really just food and toiletries unless I'm overlooking something completely. Maybe I am underestimating the cost of food on the road. I figured I can do it on about $100 a week for food. Im sure this will get a few laughs. But in all honesty I'm a peanut butter and jelly guy. Maybe bananas and apples and a case of water. Sounds blah but that's me.
If indeed I do follow through with all this I will definitly post how my ventures turn out. Possibly tuck my tail between my legs and mos

Twiggy

Rookie Expediter
That was my original offer but I took the 35/65 because I was offered a new truck.
My reasoning behind that was less chance of breakdowns which in turn may lead to more money or atleast not inconvenience myself with paying for motels and down time.
Also, total coverage of expenses so I don't need to worry about that.
Really kind of a noob boot camp, all the recipe is there for success but you really need to want it. Seriously, seems like taking just three days off can really set you back. The webs we weave.

nofear

Not a Member
I don't understand why you didn't gain experience in a tractor. I mean you are going to be in a small truck with a total stranger, at a large carrier, with established fleet owners JUST SITTING.

It is gonna be extremely hard when a owner get preference over loads, IT HAPPENS. You could've went CDL A sponsored school, and after a year punched your own ticket in expediting.

But hey, good luck.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Umm??? Need to shop that a little bit. As mentioned, there are fleet owners that have new or newer trucks at that 40 percent. Keep in mind, that "new trucks" aren't necessarily trouble free. Especially with all the emissions items on them. Ask me how I know. lol

paullud

Veteran Expediter
That was my original offer but I took the 35/65 because I was offered a new truck.
My reasoning behind that was less chance of breakdowns which in turn may lead to more money or atleast not inconvenience myself with paying for motels and down time.
Also, total coverage of expenses so I don't need to worry about that.
Really kind of a noob boot camp, all the recipe is there for success but you really need to want it. Seriously, seems like taking just three days off can really set you back. The webs we weave.

Take the 60/40 deal. They aren't going to have junk equipment that breaks down a lot signed on. That extra 5% is $10k for the team or $5k rack if you gross $200k. That will be a month or more in pay so you aren't going to breakdown anywhere close to that much. I doubt that they even have vehicles that are very old to begin with where big breakdowns are even going to be an issue.

nofear

Not a Member
True that, but how experienced is the actual fleet owner? Is the owner new also? Can the owner dispatch their own trucks? 35% of cheap freight is gonna be tough.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Expediter Services is a fleet owner. A really big one. And rather experienced.