Redundant questions of an expediter

Twiggy

Rookie Expediter
Yes, I believe having an understanding with my partner will be the deciding factor of how business is handled.

Last edited:

Twiggy

Rookie Expediter
I have to ask, why so many disgruntled Panther contractors? Maybe just over emotional people perhaps.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Panther treats everyone as if they're newbie idiots. Which is great if you're a newbie idiot. But because of that they have what appears to be (and most are) stupid rules and policies (mostly put in place in a knee-jerk reaction to a single, rare incident, that they don't want ever happening again, rare as it might be). As a result, and in order to more quickly learn the system, you must embrace the stupidity. Become one with the stupidity. Only then can you defeat the stupidity.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Turtle has it correct. As long as you understand and embrace the stupidity, it can be a profitable venture. Make no mistake, by embracing the foolishness, a straight there can gross well over 200k a year. But again, you have to understand the madness.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Precisely. Once you embrace the stupidity, one you understand it, how it all works, you can use it to your advantage.

Reactions: davekc

Twiggy

Rookie Expediter
I suppose there may be quite a few " characters" that's u show up for orientation as well.

paullud

Veteran Expediter
My number to reach would be 30k after expenses. If I could hit this number then ide consider that a success for my first year in expedite.

I think you should be able to make $30k a year as long as you are a relatively fast learner. You mentioned that you have had a CDL for awhile but are new to expedite. What part of the driving industry were you in?

Twiggy

Rookie Expediter
Vegetation management utility line clearance. Basically running a 75 foot boom truck clearing power lines for 11 years.

paullud

Veteran Expediter
Yes, I've already calculated that deducting 36% will be a very safe number to put away for tax time.
I'm very interested in what deductions I can maximize. If anyone has any info or a website that gives accurate deduction info, I would appreciate that.

You do want to save money for taxes because Uncle Sam doesn't mess around when it's time to pay the tab but 36% is pretty excessive. I live in tax happy NY, wife but no kids and I don't pay anywhere close to that combined with state and federal. The per diem will really limit your tax liability.

Reactions: RoadTime

Twiggy

Rookie Expediter
I have a couple kids myself. You wouldn't believe how expensive a family can be. I always say " becoming a father is the best but the hardest thing you'll ever do".

paullud

Veteran Expediter
If you are claiming kids on your taxes you really won't be paying much at all. I would check in with an accountant that is familiar with doing taxes for truck drivers to get a better percentage because having every dollar available in the beginning will be important.

Twiggy

Rookie Expediter
I'll be leaving with about 1k to cover my first month. If I don't get profits by the fourth week then I'm out of luck I suppose.
On the other hand, my childcare will be cut in half come late August so if I'm still running by then, then I'm going to be in a much better position.