Recruiting Manager at LRT Expedite

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
Im not sure what is required. I think $10k bond and the required paperwork is the most of it though. One of the carrier owners would know.

Keep in mind...LRT was a carrier....probably a broker too?

guido4475

Not a Member
My question is this: If it was so bad there, like so many have said,Why did so many stay and put up with it/him?

small non-compliant carriers are a dime a dozen.A driver can quit one small carrier in the morning, and be loaded going down the road by the same afternoon with another small carrier.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
My question is this: If it was so bad there, like so many have said,Why did so many stay and put up with it/him?

small non-compliant carriers are a dime a dozen.A driver can quit one small carrier in the morning, and be loaded going down the road by the same afternoon with another small carrier.

people get on with these small carriers and they get friendly....it gets personal.....they trust too much......they let things slid because, "he is my buddy".....It don't work out so good.... most times....

Doggie Daddy

Veteran Expediter
people get on with these small carriers and they get friendly....it gets personal.....they trust too much......they let things slid because, "he is my buddy".....It don't work out so good.... most times....

Aren't you buddies with John? :confused:

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using EO Forums

Wolverine

Seasoned Expediter

That's exactly why I think it's so humorous whenever I read carrier ads that profess "You will be treated like family here!".

I always wondered why that seems to attract certain owner/operators. It must work, or why would such carriers waste glossy space to make such a claim?

Personally, I already HAVE a family; I don't need another! I'm called by name when I use the phone to contact home office because my carrier has enough technology to identify me by codes I punch into the phone - and that's all the "warm fuzziness" I need to bask in.

Folks, this is a business I'm engaged in, not some back-slapping, sophomoric, fraternal, mutual admiration society designed to boost my ego! Sure, I understand the issue of respect - and I exercise the correct amount of respect when dealing with dispatchers and others at home office. Normally I'm treated with the appropriate respect in a businesslike manner.

Beyond that I see no reason to need or expect coddling. What I DO expect is an opportunity to be treated fairly when load opportunities are distributed; enough knowledge to get the freight where it belongs; good pay; and, very importantly, getting paid accurately, on time, each week.

I'm baffled why it's so important for some to feel as though they need to be part of a family in the expedite universe. Maybe I got enough respect growing up I need little to no validation of my worth now...stroking my ego doesn't go nearly as far as substantial revenue.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I think most people are, in fact, treated like family at most carriers. Most families are quite dysfunctional, dontcha know. LOL

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Wolverine: I doubt the 'family' claim is meant to be taken literally, like 'you can sleep in the guest room, borrow a few bucks if you're short, drop in for dinner unannounced, whatever', it's more an assurance that you aren't just another truck among hundreds, known only as a number to dispatchers who have no idea who you are and are too busy to care any way.
Whether they live up to that assurance is debatable, but they know it's what O/Os and drivers who dislike the large corporate atmosphere want to hear.
I detest 'corporate' - but I expect professionalism, nonetheless.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Good to know where we stand, lol.

I just meant there is business and then relax times.....I have my business to run as you have yours...friendship/buddieness aside If I or my van wasn't compliant in any way...you'd do what was best for your company.....as I would do as well.....and somewhere we meet in the middle and make it all workout....

Wolverine

Seasoned Expediter
Wolverine: I doubt the 'family' claim is meant to be taken literally, like 'you can sleep in the guest room, borrow a few bucks if you're short, drop in for dinner unannounced, whatever', it's more an assurance that you aren't just another truck among hundreds, known only as a number to dispatchers who have no idea who you are and are too busy to care any way.
Whether they live up to that assurance is debatable, but they know it's what O/Os and drivers who dislike the large corporate atmosphere want to hear.
I detest 'corporate' - but I expect professionalism, nonetheless.

cheri1122: Thanks for reinforcing my point. I've spent the last six years of my expediting life with four major carriers. During the steep learning curve it takes to be successful in this business I've never felt the need for a soothing hand to mop my fevered brow when things get tough out there as my dear departed mom did when I was a small tyke! All I looked for was a platform where I could be treated fairly because I knew I could survive based on my ability.

Of course I understand the corporate world. I also understand why so many have an aversion to it. In fact, I decided long before I earned my undergraduate business degree the corporate world of committees, poliltics, and ego massaging was not the place for me. I therefore majored in small business management with a couple minors related to that field. I 'weakened', however, when Generous Motors came on campus trolling a fat salary.

About three months later I walked away, knowing my gut instincts had been correct and that I wasn't cut from that security cloth. To this day I fail to see why so many owner/operators and drivers crave the assurance a new 'mom' is now there to mop their brow when things get tough! Maybe Turtle was correct in stating most families ARE dysfunctional and possibly many are still trying to escape the trauma of growing up.

Yeah, I know, some deep psychological mumbo-jumbo, huh? But maybe I'm ok with that explanation. I just know my DR unit creates decent cash flow and the weekly settlements are all the stroking I need...

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
So your that close to being broke???:rolleyes:
No....LOL.....but if the unthinkable were to happen......I'll not run for free for an extended time.....John might be the best thing since French toast...but business is business.....:)

Oh crap..re read your post........LOL I see what you were saying....

Wolverine

Seasoned Expediter
So your that close to being broke???:rolleyes:

I don't think being broke OR having a checking account flush with money has anything to do with it.

A business owner has the responsibility to make payroll before ANY other financial obligations if he or she expects to stay in business - most definitely before he pays himself or herself.

Employees and/or contractors have a right to expect settlements in a timely fashion each and every pay period! If this ISN'T possible for some reason there had better be a good, plausible explanation offered BEFORE that date.

Anything less should really raise eyebrows as to what is going on within an owners books. It certainly isn't that fault of drivers if an owner mismanages to the point payroll cannot be met. One missed pay day should certainly be enough to make the payee begin to wonder....

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
I don't think being broke OR having a checking account flush with money has anything to do with it.

A business owner has the responsibility to make payroll before ANY other financial obligations if he or she expects to stay in business - most definitely before he pays himself or herself.

Employees and/or contractors have a right to expect settlements in a timely fashion each and every pay period! If this ISN'T possible for some reason there had better be a good, plausible explanation offered BEFORE that date.

Anything less should really raise eyebrows as to what is going on within an owners books. It certainly isn't that fault of drivers if an owner mismanages to the point payroll cannot be met. One missed pay day should certainly be enough to make the payee begin to wonder....

Golly gee wiz, it was a joke. To many running on the razors edge. Laugh Out Loud!!!!;)