Real Expediters Do NOT Use GPS...

LisaLouHoo

Expert Expediter
Right. Real expediters DO NOT use **A** GPS.

They use TWO.

One primary, one backup for when Garmin decides to "recalculate" on Hwy 83 north of Laredo at 2:30 AM.

ErieBigDawg

Seasoned Expediter
I HAVE a GPS of my own!! I am NOT asking for anybody to buy me anything. I drive my own Sprinter, not somebody else's van.

I just think GPS is great, but I do carry current Atlas and use it when I need to!

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
LisaLou wrote:

They use TWO.

One primary, one backup for when Garmin decides to "recalculate" on Hwy 83 north of Laredo at 2:30 AM.

Or 3!!! And yea I hate when that happens....

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I HAVE a GPS of my own!! I am NOT asking for anybody to buy me anything.

I'm wondering how this became an issue in the first place. Some my have thought it came up because you asked for one. While I wouldn't call the guy across the board stupid, saying what he said was a dumb statement. Sure, GPSs aren't perfect, but they're good the vast majority of the time. When I get dispatched on a tight time frame to a pick up, the ability to just punch in the address and go is pretty sweet.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
We've had this discussion before, lol, and pretty much agree that a GPS is an excellent tool, though it can't replace the atlas. [I learned with an atlas, and really need to see the route - which helps when the GPS says "turn R onto 70 East" but a R turn is onto 70 West - I know which one I want, and don't panic, lol]
What the GPS does that is invaluable is 'see' what I can't, because of fog, rain, total darkness, snow [on street signs], streets that have no sign, buildings that have no addresses I can see, etc.
For that alone, it's priceless, and I'll never leave home without it. :)

butterfly610

Veteran Expediter
I like a combination of both. I use the map to look at a place real quickly when getting a load, if I'm not familiar with the town. That way I can see what it's by before making a decision. I like the GPS, but know it's not perfect by any means. I guess if you are someone who will follow it and take a right on a set of train tracks, no, you probably should stick with a map. I like it though, and it's a lot easier to find addresses late at night or when your codriver is sleeping and can't help you.

scottm4211

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Just a heads up but Ford in St Thomas will turn you away if you show up with messenger pigeons :mad:

CharlesD

Expert Expediter
Which is exactly what I do! Adding waypoints do not give me eta to final destination anymore ...

That's the problem. You only get the eta to the waypoint and not the final destination. I also found it fairly useless in NYC until you get close to where you're going. I hauled a lot of loads in and out of NYC and I got to know my way around there pretty well and I learned which roads to stay away from, roads which Garmin would want me on because it was on the shortest route. Anyone knows that the shortest route isn't always the quickest, especially there.

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
That is not what I think, but what one of the owners I run for thinks.

I am a firm believer of technology. If it is available, I will use it.

This owner and I have had actual verbal fights on the phone about this.

How else would you find one of these small towns we go to that are NOT even on the map?

YES, I can read a map, but with GPS, I only do when actually I NEED to.

My question to the membership is the following: Do you use GPS or only maps and do you think this owner is a jerk?

I HAVE a GPS of my own!! I am NOT asking for anybody to buy me anything. I drive my own Sprinter, not somebody else's van.

I just think GPS is great, but I do carry current Atlas and use it when I need to!

The way you posted the first question I believe it looked as though you were driving for someone. I guess we got a little confused. I guess that's why we're lost most of the time.!!:rolleyes:

bobwg

Expert Expediter
I use the Rand Mcnally 710 gps aside from 1 or 2 minor problems I love it still have a road atlas handy and my laptop if needed I dont care if that doesnt make me a real expediter or not

LisaLouHoo

Expert Expediter
As Jeff said, when he started GPS was uncommon. Maps and many many cell calls. There were times before I started traveling with him that he would be going somewhere extremely remote (an Alabama delivery comes to mind), GPS couldn't find it, even the carrier couldn't locate the exact point. My phone would ring 2:30 am, I would boot up my PC and find it for him, get the receiver's phone number for THAT little piece of info was also incorrect...how I found it and the carrier's minion didn't, I don't know....except this was the same dispatcher, during an update call once, Jeff had a really difficult time getting it through his head that there was no 'd' in Han****, PA. That guy called 4 times in 15 minutes because he couldn't find 'Hand****' on the map...just WHAT were they doing at T & K on 3rd shift?!?

"Bruises fade and bones will mend-but a psyche can be ruined FOREVER" : LisaLouHoo, c. 2008

iceroadtrucker

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Before I seen the garman or the New Fangled qual com GPS

I used a Map and as well as Microsoft Streets and Trips and Used my nav computer to get me into tight placees in NY city. Yes I did use a New York City Map. for Trucks 18 Wheelers.

Maps are wonderful and when all else fails you best know how to use one. I see alot of people get hireed out here that come from other companies like CR England I had a co driver that told me If it wasnt on his Garman it didnt Exist.
I told him So Bud your from Dever CO so I rip the Page out the Atlas and Since its no longer there then Denver dont Exist He looked at me like I was crazy. why did I bring this up well we had a place that wasnt on his Garman and he there for said it didnt exist i said wrong its there I had been there and we will follow the locals. Argued as he may I drove it in. Sure enough it was there and he called garmin and bought his up date for it but to only find it still didnt show up.
GPS is all fine and well but Maps and locals cant be beat.

I recently had another load that was picked up in the Carolinas and the New GPS on the qual com was trying to send me 20 miles the other way. Once again I went to the Map and to my New Co drivers astonishment locals and maps realy work.
The more complex you make the plumbing the easier it is to clog it up.
Use your Brains dont let them turn to mush.
New Drivers it seems that all they know is GPS.
Teach them to use a Map. I guess that isnt taught in truck driving schools no more.

Deville

Not a Member
Reading a map is a lost art. I was using maps 100% of the time until about 5 years ago. I had a HUGE collection of maps & atlases that I had picked up over the years. Sadly I lost most of them when they all got soaked.

Sometimes it is easier to look up a location on a map. GPS is nice, but it's so heartless, you imput the data & point the truck in that direction. The driver doesn't really absorb the amount of information a map can offer. When reading a map you have to actually pay attention to where you are going.

GPS has also been the ruination of the trucking business to a certain extent. Not everyone can read a map, but just about any idiot can use a GPS. Than we get people driving out there who shouldn't be.

iceroadtrucker

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Reading a map is a lost art. I was using maps 100% of the time until about 5 years ago. I had a HUGE collection of maps & atlases that I had picked up over the years. Sadly I lost most of them when they all got soaked.

Sometimes it is easier to look up a location on a map. GPS is nice, but it's so heartless, you imput the data & point the truck in that direction. The driver doesn't really absorb the amount of information a map can offer. When reading a map you have to actually pay attention to where you are going.

GPS has also been the ruination of the trucking business to a certain extent. Not everyone can read a map, but just about any idiot can use a GPS. Than we get people driving out there who shouldn't be.

Before I seen the garman or the New Fangled qual com GPS

I used a Map and as well as Microsoft Streets and Trips and Used my nav computer to get me into tight placees in NY city. Yes I did use a New York City Map. for Trucks 18 Wheelers.

Maps are wonderful and when all else fails you best know how to use one. I see alot of people get hireed out here that come from other companies like CR England I had a co driver that told me If it wasnt on his Garman it didnt Exist.
I told him So Bud your from Dever CO so I rip the Page out the Atlas and Since its no longer there then Denver dont Exist He looked at me like I was crazy. why did I bring this up well we had a place that wasnt on his Garman and he there for said it didnt exist i said wrong its there I had been there and we will follow the locals. Argued as he may I drove it in. Sure enough it was there and he called garmin and bought his up date for it but to only find it still didnt show up.
GPS is all fine and well but Maps and locals cant be beat.

I recently had another load that was picked up in the Carolinas and the New GPS on the qual com was trying to send me 20 miles the other way. Once again I went to the Map and to my New Co drivers astonishment locals and maps realy work.
The more complex you make the plumbing the easier it is to clog it up.
Use your Brains dont let them turn to mush.
New Drivers it seems that all they know is GPS.
Teach them to use a Map. I guess that isnt taught in truck driving schools no more.

You bet we got people out here on the road that shouldnt be driving.
People that can't shift trucks & that use the clutch to hold the truck on a hill, people that got to have the beer after there done driving. People that can't stay behind the wheel & due their miles. or they streach out a day from 11 hours of driving time to 14 hours total time, Start and stop because they got to have 3 squares a day.
vice getting the job done.
People that are so out of shape that they are a Heart attack waiting to happen.

Yupper So Right.

Last edited:

jimlookup

Seasoned Expediter
I use an atlas and Bing map service but when it's dark and I can't find a street sign, GPS is the best tool I have.

blackpup

Veteran Expediter
I use an atlas and Bing map service but when it's dark and I can't find a street sign, GPS is the best tool I have.

The can't see the street sign in the dark, is one of the best reasons for having a GPS unit!! Even a good map won't help you there.

jimmy